William Nylander - The execution meister.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Willie is elite.

It hasn't shown on the stat sheet yet, but there's way more to hockey than points... he creates so many chances by himself it's crazy.

Already one of the best in the league at zone entries

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
His skill level / puck protection / evasiveness is insane. He missed a couple of shots tonight, and still has a frustrating habit of gilding the lily (he missed several good opportunities to set Matthews up); but as he continues to improve his decision making he is going to be an absolute beast.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
When you skate with the puck that much, that's just normal. He was on it all night and something has to happen, it did. You are creating an impossible standard to diminish the effort.

I love the fact that if Marner makes a bad pass or gives the puck away, he's a selfish showboat, but if Nylander does the same, it's just normal and something has to happen, LOL. #doublestandards

Btw Willie was amazing last night. The way he controls the puck and skates is just beautiful.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I love the fact that if Marner makes a bad pass or gives the puck away, he's a selfish showboat, but if Nylander does the same, it's just normal and something has to happen, LOL. #doublestandards

Btw Willie was amazing last night. The way he controls the puck and skates is just beautiful.

Not the same, Marner was messing up every other play and it was annoying. I have never got on Mitch for making a single mistake just like I don't with Jake. If Jake makes multiple mistakes I call him out.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Can we take a moment to appreciate how far William Nylander has come along? The skill was always there but now he looks truly dominant, his transition game is the best on the team and he has the puck on a string. He is also excellent defensively and is all over the ice putting in a consistent effort and fighting hard for the puck. He gets overshadowed by Matthews but a lot of Matthews' success is due to Willy (and vice versa) and the two of them look the Harlem Globetrotters out there. I think he's been almost as good as Matthews and is making a case to be the best player from the 2014 draft, or at the very least he's in the discussion with Draisaitl. What an absolute stud and a home run of a pick. Thank you to the 7 teams who passed on him for supposed 'attitude issues'.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nylander and Matthews are just insane together and they haven't even played a full season together.

I expect their chemistry to reach Sedin-Sedin level by the end of the year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nylander and Matthews are just insane together and they haven't even played a full season together.

I expect their chemistry to reach Sedin-Sedin level by the end of the year.

I think its different. They are both just that good.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander made a massive commitment, on Feb 4th 2017. He decided to compete hard every shift. Post game Feb 4th, after Nylander's hat trick, Babcock mentions something about "finding a way to play against 88(Pasturnak) every night" as a reference to Nylander competing hard against a good friend of his but also a jab at his inconsistency from dominant to invisible and lazy. This was the last of a string of comments( at least 6 different occasions) from Babcock to Nylander's work ethnic to the media. Also Nylander missing 1 game due to "injury" I do not think was true. It was punishment, proving this theory further was not only the awkward interview with Nylander regarding the injury but also upon Nylander's return to the lineup, he was on the 4th line. He was very frustrating to watch knowing what he could do vs what he is doing. We now are seeing what a competitive Nylander brings and he is very special. Babcock has said nothing since regarding his work ethnic but also Nylander has put those issue's to rest.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Man take in we almost did Nylander + either I think Rielly or JVR for Ekblad when it was the 2014 entry draft :laugh: sure Ekblad might've not got concussed and been great but I love watching Nylander play

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Is that confirmed or the fans saying it? Either way we didn't and I thought we got a top 3 player and as of today... Its starting to look like the #1 in that draft.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I love having Nylander and Matthews together but that Bozak line needs some tender loving care.
First of all we don't need to fix what isn't broken. Breaking up Nylander and Matthews seems silly, unless we start losing. Also Brown is doing just fine on Bozak's line, and I'm sure with time Marner will pick his game up too.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
First of all we don't need to fix what isn't broken. Breaking up Nylander and Matthews seems silly, unless we start losing. Also Brown is doing just fine on Bozak's line, and I'm sure with time Marner will pick his game up too.

I think in some ways Brown on Matthews line makes AM work a little harder so you get some extra bang for your buck.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I think in some ways Brown on Matthews line makes AM work a little harder so you get some extra bang for your buck.
You should never fix what isn't broken. AM and WN are an amazing duo for kids. If they stop producing together or if all our other lines stop producing then we can look to "fix" things. One thing players always talk about is chemistry and those two have it, they compliment one another really well. Why in the blue hell would anyone break that up? Chemistry is soooooooo very important...it's just plain stupid to screw with it when it working so well.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You should never fix what isn't broken. AM and WN are an amazing duo for kids. If they stop producing together or if all our other lines stop producing then we can look to "fix" things. One thing players always talk about is chemistry and those two have it, they compliment one another really well. Why in the blue hell would anyone break that up? Chemistry is soooooooo very important...it's just plain stupid to screw with it when it working so well.

Its an eggs in one basket situation. Both players are driver, they will make chemistry with pylons that can merely make the simple play.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Matthews last season had one weakness, and it was in his transition game. He wasn't all that good at transporting the puck across the blue lines. Nylander excels at that, so he makes a perfect addition even with chemistry not taken into account. With Matthews growing in that area, I expect alternatives like Brown to look better beside him.

It's interesting with Nylander. He hasn't been a high percentage shooter so far. Obviously it will come up to some point, but I wonder if we overestimate the extent. I've been looking through clips of him in scoring chances, and I have a feeling that he is not actually a very good goalscorer. Terrific shooter, for sure, but he doesn't have that ability to understand the goaltender, or to disguise his shot, or use screens effectively. With him, it's mostly pitting his shot against the goaltenders stopping ability. He would probably do well to take some pointers from Matthews in that regard, or even with JVR.

Get Willy signed ASAP before he puts up ppg
When a player says that he doesn't want to look at an extension during the season, that usually comes true. I doubt we'll see anything happen until next summer, where I expect all three to get signed and announced at the same time.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was critical of Nylander last year, and saw what Babcock saw when he called him out at times and showed tough love.

However this season Nylander has been lights out and his effort with and without the puck and his effort level all impressive.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I was critical of Nylander last year, and saw what Babcock saw when he called him out at times and showed tough love.

However this season Nylander has been lights out and his effort with and without the puck and his effort level all impressive.
I rewatched last season during the summer, and going back and looking at Nylander during the first part of the season made the difference very obvious.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I rewatched last season during the summer, and going back and looking at Nylander during the first part of the season made the difference very obvious.

Nylander's development curve is very noticeable and dramatic.

Start of this year >>> 2nd half of last year >>>> 1st half of last year.

An example of Nylander's curve from 2016-17 season for present.

Variation%2C+Lead+Time%2C+and+Capacity+Utilization.jpg

The A mark on the development curve above looking like the start of this 2017-18 year, after showing steady improvement previously last year, but now on an accelerated steep upward curve projecting him to among the top NHL scoring leaders potentially based on his performance this season.

The sky is the limit at the moment as to where Willie will end up if he continues on this curve.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander is looking like he'll become one of the best home grown players the Leafs have had in quite some time.

As for his contract, I suspect it'll follow a similar path as Zaitsev. It'll get negotiated over the tail end of the season and than maybe announced right after the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad