Proposal: William Nylander for Hanifin

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Nylander for Slavin/Faulk i'd do

Leafs need D and Nylander is a great player but face it Matthews can play with anyone on his wing and still have a sucuesful line gives a chance for a good AHL player to come up . IMO Grundstrom can he shoot the puck , he would be a great replacement for nylander.

the canes have tons of D and could use a top 6 forward , i think we are trading partners for sure .

The other options for Canes would be to take a run at JVR as UFA . and pay nothing for improvement but salary
Faulk?
Faulk no!

Reactions: AuraSphere and Pi

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Hanifin had 22 points in 79 games. Dermott had 13 points in 37 as rookies. Hanifin has gotten even more sheltered as his career has gone on, he had 55% ozone starts as a rookie and was at 63% this year. Hanifin is a great young player with tons of potential, more than Dermott, but you clearly are mixing up Hanifin's rookie season with someone else's, or are massively underrating Dermott (which is my bet).

"Might become a top4 one day" lol.

Hanifin was playing on a struggling Carolina team while Dermott played on a very offensive oriented Leafs team this year.

Let try to do this another way. Find me someone who would take Dermott instead of Hanifin and isn’t a Leafs homer and I might give your argument some grounds

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nope.

The Leafs problem isn't that they don't have good defenseman. They have Gardiner, Rielly and Dermott who will play in the top four next year.

Their problem is that Hainsey, Polak are on the Leafs playing key minutes.

Next year Hainsey will be the 5th or 6th D instead of playing top pairing minutes and Polak won't be on the team.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Nope.

The Leafs problem isn't that they don't have good defenseman. They have Gardiner, Rielly and Dermott who will play in the top four next year.

Their problem is that Hainsey, Polak are on the Leafs playing key minutes.

Next year Hainsey will be the 5th or 6th D instead of playing top pairing minutes and Polak won't be on the team.
Well said.
To further your point;

What the Leafs have: Lots of mobile, offensive, puck-moving LHD
What the Leafs don't have: large defensive-defenseman, RHD, physicality in a top-4 role and a big point shot on the PP.

I don't see where Hanafin fills any of those needs.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Well said.
To further your point;

What the Leafs have: Lots of mobile, offensive, puck-moving LHD
What the Leafs don't have: large defensive-defenseman, RHD, physicality in a top-4 role and a big point shot on the PP.

I don't see where Hanafin fills any of those needs.

Yep, if the Leafs want to go big, they need to go after Trouba. Does he still want out of Winnipeg? Does he want to play for a Canadian team?

I'd pay a lot for Trouba. Not Hanifin.

Rielly-Trouba
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljegren

That's it.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Yep, if the Leafs want to go big, they need to go after Trouba. Does he still want out of Winnipeg? Does he want to play for a Canadian team?

I'd pay a lot for Trouba. Not Hanifin.

Rielly-Trouba
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljegren

That's it.
Hell yes.
Trouba is the exact defenseman the Leafs need.
Another guy would be Risto, providing our scouts think he will be able to improve his D game in a better team structure.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
absolutely not from a Leafs pov. Canes should keep Hanifin and hope he hits his potential, then you can get your Jones for Johansen deal with him

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Hanifin was playing on a struggling Carolina team while Dermott played on a very offensive oriented Leafs team this year.

Let try to do this another way. Find me someone who would take Dermott instead of Hanifin and isn’t a Leafs homer and I might give your argument some grounds

That's not what you said and that's not what I said. I'm very happy to agree that Hanifin has more potential than Dermott, and I don't see anyone arguing otherwise. However, your assertation that Hanifin's rookie season was better is based on what I believe to be a huge underestimation of Dermott's abilities. Saying that Dermott "might be a top4 D some day" is completely ridiculous. Dermott's ES points production (13 in 37 games) is equal to Zach Werenski's (who had 26 in 78 last year and 27 in 77 this year) and possession metrics that already match Hanifin's. Both of these guys have more upside, no doubt about it, but Dermott has plenty of that himself. Hanifin still has a lot of growing to do to meet his potential.

we get a young 60 point stud

What happened to your shtick that Nylander was nothing without Matthews?

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
absolutely not from a Leafs pov. Canes should keep Hanifin and hope he hits his potential, then you can get your Jones for Johansen deal with him

Jones wasn't traded once he hit his potential, he was traded mostly on the basis of his potential. That's the tricky part with dealing D-men: you have to pay up front and take the risk that they'll hit their potential, otherwise, once they do, they're damn near impossible to acquire.

That said, as has been repeated ad nauseam, Hanifin would have to be an RHD for this trade to make sense for TOR.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Jones wasn't traded once he hit his potential, he was traded mostly on the basis of his potential. That's the tricky part with dealing D-men: you have to pay up front and take the risk that they'll hit their potential, otherwise, once they do, they're damn near impossible to acquire.

That said, as has been repeated ad nauseam, Hanifin would have to be an RHD for this trade to make sense for TOR.
or get more value for them once they hit the potential. I would think that you guys want a better center than Johansen to be your #1 anyway, so a Hanifin who's a bonafide #1D would likely return someone that you'd be happy to have as your build-around center

agree, our LHD isn't the issue, and we're probably better off waiting to see what we have in Liljegren unless an ideal solution presents itself

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I’d rather deal Slavin than Hanifin. But honestly would do neither for Nylander here. I just like to stay pat unless it’s a Barkov to Draisaitl level center. There is that one canes fan who hates him and thinks he can’t play defense. But honestly he is pretty good at it, but he had a bad last 2 months of the season overall.

I would only deal him as a piece for a cup caliber C

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
or get more value for them once they hit the potential. I would think that you guys want a better center than Johansen to be your #1 anyway, so a Hanifin who's a bonafide #1D would likely return someone that you'd be happy to have as your build-around center

agree, our LHD isn't the issue, and we're probably better off waiting to see what we have in Liljegren unless an ideal solution presents itself

Beggars can't be choosers ;)

Reactions: Randy Randerson

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Oh please god. You like your own players and you want them to be good and successful but come on.. pump the breaks a little bit. Dermott is light years away from Hanifin in all part of the game. It’s not even remotely close.

I'm gonna have to use the same argument with you & inform you that Hanafin just isn't that good....

Jan 21, 2018

Jesus christ did someone actually say Dermott > Hanifin?

I mean...MAYBE offensively that might be true some day. But wow...I am so sorry Canes fans have to deal with these obvlious leaf fans with homer goggles on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->