Proposal: William Nylander for Hanifin

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Would prefer the Leafs not to jump the gun with Nylander. If the plan is to build a perennial contender and we have already made the playoffs two years in a row, why not wait to see how development pans out. Would hate to lose Nylander only for someone in the pipeline OR UFA to turn into what we needed at the backend. Sign a top 4, develop around the rest.

Reactions: Critical

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Now that's just silly...on par with suggesting Valentin Zykov is better than Nylander because the fancy stats say so.

Dermott would be a 3rd-pair LHD on the Canes with little chance of moving into the top-4. Hanifin was better his rookie year than Dermott will ever be.

Perhaps a more level headed thing to say would be; Dermott is way to good of a player to be on the bottom pairing, and will likely take Gardiner's spot in start of 2019/2020 season. If Hanifin would even be that big of an upgrade over Dermott in the future - it certainly wouldn't be worth trading Nylander.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I mean he is not.. Leafs LD is one of the best in the NHL, it's the RD that is nearly AHL quality..

Hanifin is light years ahead of Dermott and so much better than Gardiner right now. I’ll give it to you that Rielly is a step ahead but Hanifin is much younger and has the potential to move ahead of Rielly

Reactions: Chan790

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Would the fans of each team do this or not do this trade and why? I will serve as the voice of unbias reason in this post. So let the good times roll and discuss. Straight trade. 1 for 1. No add ons.

Pesce

for

Zaitsev + (Brown, Hyman or a 2nd)

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Hanifin is light years ahead of Dermott and so much better than Gardiner right now. I’ll give it to you that Rielly is a step ahead but Hanifin is much younger and has the potential to move ahead of Rielly

No....no he's not.

Dermott has played better than Hanafin since he was called up mid-year.

Dermott is solid in the d-zone....is Hanafin ?

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Now that's just silly...on par with suggesting Valentin Zykov is better than Nylander because the fancy stats say so.

Dermott would be a 3rd-pair LHD on the Canes with little chance of moving into the top-4. Hanifin was better his rookie year than Dermott will ever be.

You've never seen Dermott play.....

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm curious what happens when Dermott isn't getting sheltered bottom pairing minutes. Bruins scored one of there goals in game 2 specifically because Dermott was rushing off the ice because the Bergeron line got on.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I'm curious what happens when Dermott isn't getting sheltered bottom pairing minutes. Bruins scored one of there goals in game 2 specifically because Dermott was rushing off the ice because the Bergeron line got on.
Dermott looking like a top 4 all day to me he's been one of our best D all year Honestly i feel much more comfortable with him on the ice VS all the leafs D besides Rielly/Hainsey leafs D. hes more of a shut down D, over this series alone hes made many great Defensive plays Like when he took away that break away , with out taking a penny he's look really good. Hes still adjusting he was an offensive D MAN his whole career until 2 years ago where they wanted him to switch his whole play style and become a shut down D for the Marlies. So he's still learning how to complete that.

And come on about that 1 goal , that's not him Thats BABS . Babs ALWAYS! plays the match up game . And i can't wait to see him play higher up in the line up hes gonna excel in it hes a great skater, smart with the puck good hockey IQ and not scared to be psychically . LOU lamoriello said his self , pretty much the main reason they didn't trade for a D at the trade D line was because of Travis Dermott's strong play

Reactions: Kaljis

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Dermott looking like a top 4 all day to me he's been one of our best D all year Honestly i feel much more comfortable with him on the ice VS all the leafs D besides Rielly/Hainsey leafs D. hes more of a shut down D, over this series alone hes made many great Defensive plays Like when he took away that break away , with out taking a penny he's look really good. Hes still adjusting he was an offensive D MAN his whole career until 2 years ago where they wanted him to switch his whole play style and become a shut down D for the Marlies. So he's still learning how to complete that.

And come on about that 1 goal , that's not him Thats BABS . Babs ALWAYS! plays the match up game . And i can't wait to see him play higher up in the line up hes gonna excel in it hes a great skater, smart with the puck good hockey IQ and not scared to be psychically . LOU lamoriello said his self , pretty much the main reason they didn't trade for a D at the trade D line was because of Travis Dermott's strong play

Right, like I said, I am just curious what he looks like as Babs uses him higher in the lineup.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs pass. Hanifin was pretty awful after the all star game and has yet to show he belongs in the convo with provorov/werenski

if the leafs were smitten on hanifin, they would have taken him. apparently the only other player they considered over magic mitch was provorov so there is that.

back to back 60+pt young stud that has shown he can play D? if the leafs are moving him they are getting an equal parts RHD back

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He'd be your 2nd best d-man man behind Rielly. I do agree though with good LHD depth like that, you need a right shot.

debatable. Dermott has been VERY good, and Gardiner just had 50+ pts

Hanifin has struggled mightily outside of about the first 50 games or so of this season. high potential yes, but the leafs arent moving any of the 3 kids on a gamble like that

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I can’t see Leafs management making a major shakeup trade this offseason (ie young core for young cores type trade).

Hanifin is a good player, but if the Leafs really wanted him he’d be in a blue and white jersey already

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
No....no he's not.

Dermott has played better than Hanafin since he was called up mid-year.

Dermott is solid in the d-zone....is Hanafin ?

Oh please god. You like your own players and you want them to be good and successful but come on.. pump the breaks a little bit. Dermott is light years away from Hanifin in all part of the game. It’s not even remotely close.

Dermott is looking like an NHL D, no doubt about that but he’s nothing more than that, a #5-#6 who still has room to grow and might become a top 4 one day.

Hanifin at 18 years old had a better season and was already better than Dermott at 21.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Dermott is looking like an NHL D, no doubt about that but he’s nothing more than that, a #5-#6 who still has room to grow and might become a top 4 one day.

Hanifin at 18 years old had a better season and was already better than Dermott at 21.

Hanifin had 22 points in 79 games. Dermott had 13 points in 37 as rookies. Hanifin has gotten even more sheltered as his career has gone on, he had 55% ozone starts as a rookie and was at 63% this year. Hanifin is a great young player with tons of potential, more than Dermott, but you clearly are mixing up Hanifin's rookie season with someone else's, or are massively underrating Dermott (which is my bet).

"Might become a top4 one day" lol.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I wish I could have an auto reply to these threads because I post the same damn thing every time.

HE
IS
A
LHD

LEAFS
NEED
A
RHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad