William Nylander - Big Willie Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
your comparisons are poor.

Sjostrom is much more similar to Ritchie than nylander. a 220lbs winger who scored just over 1.2ppg in the chl at age 19, just like ritchie.

and ritchie is producing nowhere near Perry's level at the same age, and is barely producing more than Beach did. ritchie is much, much, much more likely to turn into a sjostrom or beach than he is a perry.

and there is nothing subjective about it.

The weren't meant to be direct comparisons in terms of impact in the league. It's more the fact that Ritchie is a great PF prospect and he has either the ceiling to being really good or really ball.

The same goes for Nylander..

Each play is their own entity, so all comparisons are not effective in gauging talent level and future success.

Even the notion of Ritchie saying Sjostrom is a much more likely ceiling is subjective. It's based on your own personal opinion, while people in the Ducks franchise may see an extremely high ceiling for him. We won't know until both players crack the NHL for a couple seasons..

You are playing exactly into what I was suggesting..

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Saw this post on the another thread but this is their lineup for today's game.

William Nylander-Axel Holmström-Oskar Lindblom

Adrian Kempe–Lucas Wallmark–Adam Brodecki

Jens Lööke–Christoffer Ehn–Victor Olofsson/Leon Bristedt

Anton Karlsson–Jacob de la Rose–Anton Blidh

http://bloggar.expressen.se/sjoberg/...for-premiaren/

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Not sure I want a guy as small Nylander lining up against guys like Malkin, Getzlaf, Thornton, Staal, Toews, Johansen, Kopitar, ect. ... face offs, defensive match ups against these big men would be a nightmare.

I love how you left out guys like Crosby and Giroux...you know, because they are the same size as Nylander and match up just fine :facepalm:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
As good as Nylander is, I think this is one of the worst Sweden teams I've seen at the WJC's in a long time.

Their goaltender is pretty bad and their defence is very average and not very mobile.

I'd be surprised if they medalled.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Exactly and for me the best comparable is Duchene.

There more then I mentioned of couse, but Crosby and Giroux are some of the best in the game, yet he conveniently left them out to try and make his point lol.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Another leaf prospect's world juniour tournament ****ed up by the coach.

(For those who don't know, I'm referencing Spott and Rielly in the 2013 tournament)
Just like Gautheir is gunna be ****ed this tourney cause hes put on the 4th line :sarcasm:

I love how you left out guys like Crosby and Giroux...you know, because they are the same size as Nylander and match up just fine :facepalm:

Crosby is way bigger than Nylander LOL. Crosby's not some 5'9 175lbs center.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Just like Gautheir is gunna be ****ed this tourney cause hes put on the 4th line :sarcasm:
I'm not sure that's a relevant point though. The quote didn't say every Leaf prospect is screwed by coaching in the WJC's, just that this is another case of it.

It's a cute point if you want to stand out, but not actually related to what you are quoting.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Crosby in his draft was probably about the same as Nylander right now.

Also, Niklas Backstrom is another example? Nylander's size won't stop him from being a #1C if he's determined.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Crosby is 5'11" 200lbs
Nylander is 5'11" 170lbs.

Nylander has a small frame but he isnt short by any means and can easily put on 30 lbs before entering his prime.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Forget what I said above. These are SWE lineups for today's game

Adam Brodecki, Jacob De La Rose, Lucas Wallmark
William Nylander, Axel Holmström, Oskar Lindblom
Leon Bristedt, Adrian Kempe, Victor Olofsson
Anton Blidh, Christoffer Ehn, Anton Karlsson
Jens Lööke

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
datsyuk
zetterberg
seguin
stamkos
krejci
plekanec
giroux
stepan
ribeiro
stastny
duchene
mackinnon
pavelski

all too small to play center.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
datsyuk
zetterberg
seguin
stamkos
krejci
plekanec
giroux
stepan
ribeiro
stastny
duchene
mackinnon
pavelski

all too small to play center.

I truly hope the Leafs management aren't as pessimistic and sorry to say this (stupid) as some of our fans.

We have a potential #1C and we snagged him at 8th overall. Give him all the opportunity to succeed instead of putting restrictions on what he can and can't become.

We ****ed up Kadri's development path and yet he turned out great. Lets hope the Leafs can learn from that experience.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Don't forget Kadri. Kadri's too small and uncommitted to ever be able to match up against the likes of Staal, the Sedins, Getzlaf, etc. and shut them down. We've known this since he was drafted, because players don't develop after that.

Oh wait...

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I truly hope the Leafs management aren't as pessimistic and sorry to say this (stupid) as some of our fans.

We have a potential #1C and we snagged him at 8th overall. Give him all the opportunity to succeed instead of putting restrictions on what he can and can't become.

We ****ed up Kadri's development path and yet he turned out great. Lets hope the Leafs can learn from that experience.

I doubt they are, as they were the ones that drafted him over larger players. These posters just throw out unpopular, and as you said; stupid opinions to stir the pot and then run away. Anyone who has any hockey knowledge should be able to realize the potential we have in Nylander, so forget what the trolls say.

What we need is commitment to whatever development path they choose for Nylander. I'm happy he's in the SHL right now, so he can get some top center minutes away from this organization. If/when they deem that he is NHL ready, he should be given consistent minutes, not the type of garbage that Carlyle gives to young players (so hopefully Randy is no more).

SChan*

As good as Nylander is, I think this is one of the worst Sweden teams I've seen at the WJC's in a long time.

Their goaltender is pretty bad and their defence is very average and not very mobile.

I'd be surprised if they medalled.

It is the worst team in 10 years and our coach seemingly gives nylander the blame for the poor exibitition games. What about the poor defense or goalies?!

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Just remember. Our board wants to rebuild and trade away everyone and get picks. Because all picks are great and will be a superstar and will be better than what we have now. Oh until we actually get a pick and use it. Then we pick garbage. Oh well always next year to start the cycle again. (ps this is sarcasm from me but kinda true among this place).

Last edited:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
It is the worst team in 10 years and our coach seemingly gives nylander the blame for the poor exibitition games. What about the poor defense or goalies?!

Ugh great, nothing like a coach blaming a player who got 4 points in 2 games for his failures. Hopefully he kills it anyways, otherwise it's just going to fuel the negative side of the fanbase.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Just remember. Our board wants to rebuild and trade away everyone and get picks. Because all picks are great and will be a superstar and will be better than what we have now. Oh until we actually get a pick and use it. Then we pick garbage. Oh well always next year to start the cycle again. (ps this is sarcasm from me but kinda true among this place).

Truth

We could trade Kessel for 1st OA next year and draft McDavid, and there would be fans saying we should have drafted Eichel or Hani for some reason.

Then, when McDavid isn't a 100pt two way player at 18, who brings us to the cup, he is a bust, and sucks.

That is every player, and it isn't just leaf fans, it's NHl fans. Everyone seems to like the leafs failing, Leaf and non leaf fans alike.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

You probably missed the point, thought it was obvious why I picked the guys I picked, physically Nylander is very small for a 1st line center.

No center matches up just fine vs Crosby, that man has amazing puck retention skills.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I sure hope some Leafs fans aren't stupid enough to think just because he was drafted in the 1st round means he has potential to be a star 1st line center. How many become a 3rd or 4th liner or never make it to the NHL? What am I saying in Leafland everyone we draft is guaranteed to be an all star right? Has to be true because our track history is so good at drafting 1st line centers.

How about we just let him develop at his own pace and he becomes what ever he becomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->