Will we win a Cup within the next 5 years under Hextall?

Do you believe Ron Hextall WILL bring us a Stanley Cup in the next 5 years?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
No. It's clear the Flyers will never win a Cup. We will continue to make the Finals and go up against the strongest contenders possible. It is tradition.
That's the ones you wanna beat. beating teams that get lucky and get thru is good to but you want the best.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's the ones you wanna beat. beating teams that get lucky and get thru is good to but you want the best.

I'd rather win a Cup than face 76 Montreal (in contention for top-2 team of all time), the 80s Oilers and Islanders, 97 Detroit (the other contender for top-2 all time), and the 2010 Blackhawks who are the best Cup team in the Cap era.

I mean ideally I'd like to be one of those teams but that's never going to happen either

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
i mean if you watch vegas and caps, you need depth in d, forwards, and good goaltending regardless of superstars or not, if hextall doesnt improve the depth and get good goaltending, this team will never win a cup under him.

i get the hate for homer's roster moves but he improved the depth that got us to the cup finals, if emery stayed healthy, we probably would have won the cup.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I'd rather win a Cup than face 76 Montreal (in contention for top-2 team of all time), the 80s Oilers and Islanders, 97 Detroit (the other contender for top-2 all time), and the 2010 Blackhawks who are the best Cup team in the Cap era.

I mean ideally I'd like to be one of those teams but that's never going to happen either
Come on man I get the most down about this team but we'll win that f***in thing soon.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
i mean if you watch vegas and caps, you need depth in d, forwards, and good goaltending regardless of superstars or not, if hextall doesnt improve the depth and get good goaltending, this team will never win a cup under him.

i get the hate for homer's roster moves but he improved the depth that got us to the cup finals, if emery stayed healthy, we probably would have won the cup.
Top players also play like it to don't forget. Matchups are what they are for top players.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No. It's clear the Flyers will never win a Cup. We will continue to make the Finals and go up against the strongest contenders possible. It is tradition.

1976 - Ran into Montreal Dynasty without Parent
1980 - Ran into Islanders Dynasty
1985 - Ran into Oilers Dynasty
1987 - Ran into Oilers Dynasty without Kerr
1997 - Ran into Red Wings Modern-Day Dynasty
2010 - Ran into Blackhawks Modern-Day Dynasty

FML.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Yep, but i believe we will be a strong and constant contender. And let's be honest, that's pretty much the most a GM can do.
Agreed. My vote wasn't about being unhappy with Hextall, though I despise his decision to keep Lappy.

Expectations

Mar 2, 2018

FML.

Meanwhile, the Pens get the Red Wings' in decline in 2009 (with an unhealthy Datsyuk), and one-offs in the Sharks and Preds in '16 and '17.

Double FML.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just have to build our own dynasty.
Instead of patchwork building a 1-2 year run and hope you get an easy path.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

FML.

Had the worse luck... without which three or four more Cups might have been won.

Against the Habs Flyers were without Bernie but Leach was red hot and won the Conn Smyth on a losing team... Close first three games... Bernie could have been the difference.

Against Isles there was both an awfully blown OffSide on the tying Goal and an allowed high stick on the OT Series Winner... Had Stickle not blown the call, chances are the Isles would not have won a Game Seven at the Spectrum.

Against the 87 Oilers, the Flyers took it to Game Seven without Kerr and Hexy won the Conn Smyth in the losing Series... Kerr could have been the difference.

2010 Team had multiple injuries to Goalies... and an average Goalie performance could have beaten the Hawks... the last Goal was freaky bad... and Briere's line was unbelievably hot.

Seems we are indeed cursed... FML also.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Had the worse luck... without which three or four more Cups might have been won.

Against the Habs Flyers were without Bernie but Leach was red hot and won the Conn Smyth on a losing team... Close first three games... Bernie could have been the difference.

Against Isles there was both an awfully blown OffSide on the tying Goal and an allowed high stick on the OT Series Winner... Had Stickle not blown the call, chances are the Isles would not have won a Game Seven at the Spectrum.

Against the 87 Oilers, the Flyers took it to Game Seven without Kerr and Hexy won the Conn Smyth in the losing Series... Kerr could have been the difference.

2010 Team had multiple injuries to Goalies... and an average Goalie performance could have beaten the Hawks... the last Goal was freaky bad... and Briere's line was unbelievably hot.

Seems we are indeed cursed... FML also.

i think if hextall brings in a good goalie somehow, i think this team can compete, rushing prospects is a big mistake, it can hurt the team more than help. like i said if hextall brings in the right vets on this team and a great goalie, this team has a chance. homer was doing things right, like you said it's just bad luck.

it's more like some of the hextall lovers just got so desperate, that they want this team to rush the prospects. it's not the answer because they are inexperienced. i mean fans should see that against the pens about how much an inexperienced defense couldnt get it done, it was so easy for them. hextall has to get vets on the d, otherwise it's going to be another bloodbath.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Or you just remain patient, make changes around the edges and wait for the kids to grow up - which doesn't take forever.

You look at the kids making big contributions in the playoffs, a few are 20-21 like point, but most are 22-24 years old with 3-5 NHL seasons under their belt - the point where they have physically matured, and have enough experienced that nothing fazes them. Then your youngest prospects are at the bottom of the roster and can be sheltered until they show themselves ready.

Now look at the Flyers potential 2019-2020 roster:

Couts (27), Patrick (21), Konecny (22), Lindblom (23), Frost (20), Ratcliffe (20)
MV (26), Bardreau (26), Laughton (25), Vorobyev (23), NAK (23), Rubtsov (22)

Ghost (26), Provorov (23), Sanheim (23), Myers (23), Morin (24), Hagg (24), Friedman (24)

Giroux (32), Voracek (30), Simmonds (32) if extended, Gudas (29)

So it's not like you need to add a half dozen guys through trades and free agency the next two years to fill out the roster.

Reactions: achdumeingute

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018

FML.

Add insult to injury except for Edmonton, the Flyers started each of those dynasties.

And the losses in 95 and 2000 in the ECF were losses to a dynasty. We likely would have won the cup both those seasons if NJ had been defeated.

And this is why the 2004 loss to Tampa is the most painful to me. There was no dynasty that season and the Flyers were as good as any team that season. I took that loss real hard.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018

As as been pointed out in this thread, that is the patchwork style of building a team. If you get lucky and don't face a dynasty then it will work. But we always face a dynasty.
Your suggestion hasn't worked in 40 yrs.

Hextall is building the team in the manner that dynasties build their team. Will it mean a dynasty? I'm not saying it will. But this method is putting the odds in your favor of winning a championship.

Reactions: achdumeingute

Expectations

Mar 2, 2018
And this is why the 2004 loss to Tampa is the most painful to me. There was no dynasty that season and the Flyers were as good as any team that season. I took that loss real hard.

Yeah me too. Especially with how Keith Primeau took the team on his back and gave everything he had in that series, it was legendary. He is probably still paying the price for it. I don't think there is a performance I admire more than him in the 2004 playoffs.

Reactions: Sawdalite

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
As as been pointed out in this thread, that is the patchwork style of building a team. If you get lucky and don't face a dynasty then it will work. But we always face a dynasty.
Your suggestion hasn't worked in 40 yrs.

Hextall is building the team in the manner that dynasties build their team. Will it mean a dynasty? I'm not saying it will. But this method is putting the odds in your favor of winning a championship.

what teams have won cups that have players less than 25 years old? if you are expecting all star college team worth of players on this team to win cups, you are really are delusional because all good teams have vet players because it's an experienced league. the only way of drafting players works is that gary has to put a rule that every player that hits 26 years old have to retire.

it's just how it is in nhl, you need vets for every team to stay competitive you cant have an all ahl roster and expect to win a cup. that's basically tanking. you dont like vets too bad. it's not a 25 and under league, that's what the ahl is for, not for the nhl.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
what teams have won cups that have players less than 25 years old? if you are expecting all star college team worth of players on this team to win cups, you are really are delusional because all good teams have vet players because it's an experienced league. the only way of drafting players works is that gary has to put a rule that every player that hits 26 years old have to retire.

it's just how it is in nhl, you need vets for every team to stay competitive you cant have an all ahl roster and expect to win a cup. that's basically tanking. you dont like vets too bad. it's not a 25 and under league, that's what the ahl is for, not for the nhl.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Every team that has won the Cup the past 10 years has had major contributions from players under 25 playing in their top 6 and top 4. Also, the Flyers have their over 25 veteran core already.

Reactions: flyersjim73

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Yes, because the Flyers will hit on a goaltender and will have enough talent to carry them. Hoping like crazy. Also: Provy. And German Rubstud sinks the GWG in game 6. Cup.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Every team that has won the Cup the past 10 years has had major contributions from players under 25 playing in their top 6 and top 4. Also, the Flyers have their over 25 veteran core already.
what im saying that, teams that have won cups have some veterans on their team that were over 30 years old, no teams won a cup with 20 second year players, i mean the whole team, no vets.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
what im saying that, teams that have won cups have some veterans on their team that were over 30 years old, no teams won a cup with 20 second year players.

For sure. Just not sure how of the context of this comment as it relates to the Flyers. Maybe I missed something

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
what im saying that, teams that have won cups have some veterans on their team that were over 30 years old, no teams won a cup with 20 second year players, i mean the whole team, no vets.
Hence why people like myself have Sid that Giroux and Voracek will play Hossa like roles when we are contenders. Maybe not the top dog by then, but still very important pieces when it comes to winning.

But hey, maybe they will still be posting 80 point seasons then too. Who knows.

But at done point, Hextall WILL add thru a trade or 2 to get to contender status. The issue is some people want that move done today when the kids are not ready anyways and we have 2 placeholders in net. That move is likely 1-2 years away.

But he can still make moves today that can take us from playoff tweener, to legit playoff team.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Just because cup teams have veterans on their team doesn't invalidate Hextall's method.

The comment doesn't make any sense.

I wasn't aware there was some rule that stated if you build through the draft then you're not allowed to have veterans on the roster.

I think we're having 2 different conversations here.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Meanwhile, the Pens get the Red Wings' in decline in 2009 (with an unhealthy Datsyuk), and one-offs in the Sharks and Preds in '16 and '17.

Double FML.

Actually, the Pens are the dynasty. We are the “one-off”. Sad, but true. Gotta give the respect to Pitt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad