Speculation: Will we sign Antti Raanta?

Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
If the injury is in any way extended and Raanta clocks in at less than 50 games this season then the max term I'd look to give on an extension is 2 years. (Unless he's willing to come in cheap)

varano

Jun 27, 2013
What was your prediction again? Years and dollars? I know you laughed at 4x4 as absurd. I can’t recall your figure. I was going to go look, but since you’re here already...:)
I believe I said 5X5 and quoted the freddy andersen deal.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Anyone else wondering about what I believe would be Raanta's 4th injury? I guess it depends on timelines but I have an eyebrow raised on his durability.
Very worried. I'd be scared about anything over 2 years at this point.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I believe I said 5X5 and quoted the freddy andersen deal.
Raanta isn't getting 5 X 5 from any team, no GM is dumb enough to take that risk. Raanta has to play like he has the last 2 months for a full season in order to get that kind of money or term.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Raanta isn't getting 5 X 5 from any team, no GM is dumb enough to take that risk. Raanta has to play like he has the last 2 months for a full season in order to get that kind of money or term.
Did Darling, Talbot, Andersen, ever play a full season before they got their money/term? Think about it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I can’t get passionate about this argument anymore. I’m saying 4x4 and you’re saying 5x5. Borrrring. P oabblynjust means it’ll be 4.2 over five years for 21m total. You’ll have pegged the term and I’ll be a little closer on per year dollars.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

There is always a GM dumb enough. Nothing surprises me any more when it come to NHL GM's.

Did Darling, Talbot, Andersen, ever play a full season before they got their money/term? Think about it.
The only one that got 5M was Anderson and he is playing great hockey. I think rt hit the nail on the head when he said Raanta will get 4 x 4M.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I can’t get passionate about this argument anymore. I’m saying 4x4 and you’re saying 5x5. Borrrring. P oabblynjust means it’ll be 4.2 over five years for 21m total. You’ll have pegged the term and I’ll be a little closer on per year dollars.
It would be anticlimactic if we were both wrong

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Remember when I posted 4 x $4.5M and everyone freaked out? Good times. :D

Reactions: _Del_

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Andersen had played 2 season with more games than Raanta has so far this year and was 3 years younger than Raanta was when he signed his deal. They really aren't comparable.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Andersen had played 2 season with more games than Raanta has so far this year and was 3 years younger than Raanta was when he signed his deal. They really aren't comparable.
Raanta had 95 NHL Games under his belt before he became a starter in Arizona
Andersen had 125.

If you want to nickel and dime over 30 games, be my guest.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Raanta had 95 NHL Games under his belt before he became a starter in Arizona
Andersen had 125.

If you want to nickel and dime over 30 games, be my guest.
That wasn't what I replied to??? You asked if they had ever played a full season, Andersen had seasons of 54 and 43 games in two seasons proceeding his contract with the Leafs. Raanta was coming off 29 and 24 when he joined the Coyotes and in his first chance at a starter's job he can't play the workload, that is a concern. Andersen has proven in last two seasons he can.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Anderson yes played a full season with good performance and that is why he got the contract/money. Darling/Talbot no full seasons, which will prove my point, those are 2 contract mistakes, recent ones, and that is exactly why Raanta won't get 5/5 from anyone.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He
Anderson yes played a full season with good performance and that is why he got the contract/money. Darling/Talbot no full seasons, which will prove my point, those are 2 contract mistakes, recent ones, and that is exactly why Raanta won't get 5/5 from anyone.
He certainly did not play full seasons .he was always in tandem with Gibson

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Do you guys think you will resign Raanta? I've heard both sides say positive things, but since the trade with LA, I haven't heard anything on the contract negotiations. I was curious what you all thought.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

Darling is a disaster. Andersen IMHO not very great. If only 1 of 3 goalies with a low number of games are actually good, this will affect what others will offer Raanta.

I sure hope so, 'cause I hope he signs with Arizona.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Darling is a disaster. Andersen IMHO not very great. If only 1 of 3 goalies with a low number of games are actually good, this will affect what others will offer Raanta.

I sure hope so, 'cause I hope he signs with Arizona.
Andersen is team MVP last two seasons, and It's not that close.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Andersen is team MVP last two seasons, and It's not that close.

Haha, was thinking Anderson! Andersen it was. Yes. Now you go "And Anderson is excellent." Of course. And he probably didn't get signed after few games either, so just my bad there.:oops:

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Also changed my vote now. As this now obviously is a discussion between "will sign with the Yotes" and "elsewhere". So just so I don't get called out as a cheater: I had it earlier at traded at deadline. But as the born optimist, well, no, I now vote for losing him. Which would be bad. Horrible. Awful. But still no signing... :help:

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
Raanta's next contract is interesting. He has recorded good (or even better) stats his whole NHL career. This is his first season as starter and he has continued those. Unluckily with several injuries.

S% 0,926 (5th among starters)
GAA 2,37 (7th)
Quality starts 0,659 (3rd)

I think, he has proven his capability as starter and he has never played in lower level than he is now. It would be nice to see longer record as starter, but someone will pay him over 4M for several years. Hopefully, it's Arizona.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
A 4x4 deal should be enough if he likes it in AZ. He won't get crazy money from anywhere and considering his record that shouldn't be a risky contract at all. A good starter for $4M AAV is cheap and IF it happens that he can't handle a 60 game workload they can trade him to be a 1B for a team that has an aging top goalie or a younger #1 who still needs more seasoning/rest.

Letting him walk would be a big mistake unless the management has a major upcoming talent in their sights. There is no proven starter UFA goalie that would come to Arizona unless they pay big time.

Reactions: Jakey53

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
Who is in the market for a starting goaltender as competition to the Coyotes? The number of open spots and where those spots are can definitely have an impact on the rate Raanta asks for and gets.

I would think Carolina might like to add, but they might be married to Darling for the near future. They have Ward coming off the books but I cannot see them paying that much for goaltending. They will hope to get a cheap backup that can maybe split with Darling.

Halak could walk from the Islanders, do they have a replacement set? NY may be desirable for Rannta to return, who knows.

How committed to their goalies is Buffalo?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Teams that could be looking for a goalie include NYI, Carolina, Ottawa, Buffalo, and possibly Edmonton.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Raanta's next contract is interesting. He has recorded good (or even better) stats his whole NHL career. This is his first season as starter and he has continued those. Unluckily with several injuries.

S% 0,926 (5th among starters)
GAA 2,37 (7th)
Quality starts 0,659 (3rd)

I think, he has proven his capability as starter and he has never played in lower level than he is now. It would be nice to see longer record as starter, but someone will pay him over 4M for several years. Hopefully, it's Arizona.
Raanta hasn't proven he is a starter, just over 40 games this year. Playing at a high level for a goalie at 40 games is way different then playing at a high level for 60 games, it is a 50% increase in work load. It's not a given that he can do it full time and many goalies have been good part time but couldn't do it full time.

I like Raanta and they should sign him but they don't need to over pay. 2 years @4 mill or 3-4 years @3-3.5 mill should be market value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad