Will Trotz' fundamentals to go with the Caps talent here make them cup contenders?

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
I love the hiring personally because now you know exactly what you are going to get when you step in to Verizon. This is almost a complete opposite to Oates tenure where the team was literally all over the place. So i pose the question knowing how Trotz emphasises fundamentals being the key building block to success how does that mix with this group of players and does it make them cup ready now, in the future or not without a rebuild?

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I don't think they're cup contenders until they address the same personnel issues we've been harping on about for years and the talent on the roster has been degrading over that period of time. We need at least one more legit Top 6 forward and a Top 2/4 D.

I'm personally not convinced the current roster has it in them to make a cup run regardless of coaching so I'm hoping GMBM can find the right complementary pieces but I'm not holding my breath. I am happy with the Trotz hire.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I'll have a better sense a week into free agency. Got something like 12 mill in cap room.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
We took a nap for a couple years. Now that we're well rested let's go ****ing get it for once.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
If we're talking about this group of players, meaning the current Caps, then no. I don't think Scottie Bowman could get this team, with this defense, a Cup.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
If we get some strong D where needed and get our top 2 lines in order (which requires 1 or 2 more top 6 forwards), then absolutely. With Ovi, Backsie and Holts, I believe.

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
I also like the Trotz hire for the reason you mentioned, under him the Caps will be able to find an identity and bring some consistency to their game. I voted it will take more than a season or two because as currently constructed, the holes in this roster are going to hold them back come the playoffs. I like what I've heard from Mac but it's not easy to find a top 4 defenseman.

Getting back to coaching though, hopefully the focus becomes playing a two way game. If the young guys still in the crucial years of their development (Johansson, Kuznetsov, Carlson, Alzner, and Orlov) can show they have that in them, the team is in good shape.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
They need a couple pieces here and there but the biggest need for this team is mental toughness. I think Barry can get this guys to bring "it" every night and get them to believe they can play great again. We have all seen these guys feel sorry for themselves for a few years now when things aren't going their way

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I love the hiring personally because now you know exactly what you are going to get when you step in to Verizon. This is almost a complete opposite to Oates tenure where the team was literally all over the place. So i pose the question knowing how Trotz emphasises fundamentals being the key building block to success how does that mix with this group of players and does it make them cup ready now, in the future or not without a rebuild?

I hope Trotz i swilling to adapt. Anyway, I like how both he and MacLellan emphasize puck possession.

ryan519*

if we just make it past the 2nd round next year ill be happy. that to me would be a very successful first year for trotz

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If they can re-sign Grabovski, upgrade the D, and his system/goalie coach allows Holtby to revert back to form, then yes. Without Grabo and with the same D, then making the play-offs is the ceiling (and it'd be difficult to even do that).

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
if we just make it past the 2nd round next year ill be happy. that to me would be a very successful first year for trotz

Considering that's happened twice ever for the caps I concur.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I'll have a better sense a week into free agency. Got something like 12 mill in cap room.

I read $15M. Agree with this post - would like to see if they can get Grabo to a reasonable deal and some serious blue line upgrades. If they do well in free agency I think Trotz should be able to make that team into a contender.

As is? Agree with the guy who said playoffs - yes, contender - no.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the caps have ovechkin and a goaltender that has already gone hot goalie to steal playoff games. so they have a puncher's chance at a cup whenever they make the playoffs.

they need to upgrade the roster to be more of a contender.

this is a new position for trotz to coach in. his playoff resume doesn't have a lot of wins on it and he's never coached where deep playoff runs are expected.

it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->