Speculation: Will Treliving Show Bennett the Money?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
IF Sam doesn't sign can he play in the Olympics?

TSN's Dreger is tweeting that Sam and Flames are far apart and Sam could go overseas. I'm not a fancy post guy so I can't get the tweet in here. Someone will.

Sign Bennett to a 7 year 3.5mill cap hit contract now. If Wennberg is making 4.9mill for the next six years, Bennett better be making max 3.5mill and have a min of 7 years on his contract.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I honestly cannot understand what Bennett's agent is thinking, if that's true. Unless Bennett doesn't really want to play for the Flames anymore.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I honestly cannot understand what Bennett's agent is thinking, if that's true. Unless Bennett doesn't really want to play for the Flames anymore.

I don't think he does. There was a rumor that said that Bennett had hoped he was part of the Hamonic deal. I cant really say I blame him, in his rookie season he and Gaudreau looked to be forming an elite line for 6 or 7 games only for him to get pulled off of it "to get Monahan going". In my opinion our team has a huge double standard with regards to our two young centers (not the fans just the guys actually in charge). Monahan is given a lot more chances and even when he plays like crap (start of the last three seasons and his rookie season) he still gets good lineages and #1 power play time. When Bennett plays like crap he gets benched and shifted around with a bunch of bottom 6ers.

I do kind of want him to go to Europe though prove again that he can be successful in a men's league maybe change some opinions about him. It would also let us evaluate Jankowski in the NHL.

I wonder if his agent is pointing to the 4.5 million dollar man who produced worse than Bennett did and trying to justify a payday.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I suppose that is a logical possibility. If he doesn't see himself being able to supplant Backlund or Monahan it might make sense to want an opportunity somewhere else.

On the other hand though, he haven't ever really had any indications from Bennett himself that he was unhappy playing for the Flames.

My guess would just be that his agent is being an agent and trying to get his client the best deal possible. I think we are probably reading too much into these statements if they lead us to the conclusion that Bennett wants a trade.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Sub-30 point players holding out makes me lol.

If he wants to play with better linemates, he's going to have to play himself into those roles. Every time he has been gifted some time with better linemates, he doesn't show much.

Imagine if he doesn't light it up in Europe? His NHL career will be done. I see an agent that is still buying into his players draft day hype and giving horrible advice.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I suppose that is a logical possibility. If he doesn't see himself being able to supplant Backlund or Monahan it might make sense to want an opportunity somewhere else.

On the other hand though, he haven't ever really had any indications from Bennett himself that he was unhappy playing for the Flames.

My guess would just be that his agent is being an agent and trying to get his client the best deal possible. I think we are probably reading too much into these statements if they lead us to the conclusion that Bennett wants a trade.

I just feel like this should have been a relatively straight-forward deal to make, given the player hasn't played well enough to earn an uncomfortably big contract that would make the GM sweat. This should have been one of those where yeah, he still needs to prove himself, but he's not going to accept a long-term deal at his current worth, so let's give him a short-term bridge deal to let him earn a big-time contract.

Either way, though, I'm not overly worried. We have a bunch of guys coming to camp who can make his absence pretty unnoticeable if that's the route he chooses. I wholeheartedly believe that as things stand right now, Bennett needs the Flames a lot more than the Flames need Bennett. So I still expect the deal to get done.

Sub-30 point players holding out makes me lol.

If he wants to play with better linemates, he's going to have to play himself into those roles. Every time he has been gifted some time with better linemates, he doesn't show much.

Imagine if he doesn't light it up in Europe? His NHL career will be done. I see an agent that is still buying into his players draft day hype and giving horrible advice.

Exactly. I lol'd when Ferland filed for arbitration, and while I'm not exactly loling about Bennett not being signed right now, I'm completely mystified how this is still going on as though Bennett just came off a career year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I just feel like this should have been a relatively straight-forward deal to make, given the player hasn't played well enough to earn an uncomfortably big contract that would make the GM sweat. This should have been one of those where yeah, he still needs to prove himself, but he's not going to accept a long-term deal at his current worth, so let's give him a short-term bridge deal to let him earn a big-time contract.

Either way, though, I'm not overly worried. We have a bunch of guys coming to camp who can make his absence pretty unnoticeable if that's the route he chooses. I wholeheartedly believe that as things stand right now, Bennett needs the Flames a lot more than the Flames need Bennett. So I still expect the deal to get done.

I think that part of the reason that a deal hasn't 'progressed' yet is because Treliving is intentionally waiting until closer to the start of camp to get the ball rolling. It's to his advantage to make the contract signing more time sensitive, as Bennett missing any camp or preseason time would be to his detriment.

It's possible they have only just recently really started on a contract negotiation and this is the fallout of the opening salvo from both sides.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I don't think he does. There was a rumor that said that Bennett had hoped he was part of the Hamonic deal. I cant really say I blame him, in his rookie season he and Gaudreau looked to be forming an elite line for 6 or 7 games only for him to get pulled off of it "to get Monahan going". In my opinion our team has a huge double standard with regards to our two young centers (not the fans just the guys actually in charge). Monahan is given a lot more chances and even when he plays like crap (start of the last three seasons and his rookie season) he still gets good lineages and #1 power play time. When Bennett plays like crap he gets benched and shifted around with a bunch of bottom 6ers.

I do kind of want him to go to Europe though prove again that he can be successful in a men's league maybe change some opinions about him. It would also let us evaluate Jankowski in the NHL.

I wonder if his agent is pointing to the 4.5 million dollar man who produced worse than Bennett did and trying to justify a payday.

This "double standard" is comparing a 60 point guy to a 30 point guy. I get that with guys like Brouwer, Bennett isn't in a position to put up points, but why would the 30 point guy be given more opportunity to do so than the one who has already earned that spot?

It makes no ****ing sense. "Let's play our 60+ point 1C as our 3C, because our 3C was drafted higher, yet hasn't done anything to warrant playing along side our top players besides a 7-8 game stretch."

[MOD] He hasn't earned anything that you guys want to give him.

Not directed at you, but there is a distinct group that needs to pull their heads out of their *****.

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
This "double standard" is comparing a 60 point guy to a 30 point guy. I get that with guys like Brouwer, Bennett isn't in a position to put up points, but why would the 30 point guy be given more opportunity to do so than the one who has already earned that spot?

It makes no ****ing sense. "Let's play our 60+ point 1C as our 3C, because our 3C was drafted higher, yet hasn't done anything to warrant playing along side our top players besides a 7-8 game stretch."

[MOD] He hasn't earned anything that you guys want to give him.

Not directed at you, but there is a distinct group that needs to pull their heads out of their *****.
Did we move Monahan off of the top line in the middle of one of his tears? That's my point. Not that Bennett is so much better or that he should be given more opportunity but the ass backwards logic that Bennett and Gaudreau tore it up while Monahan struggled. So we decided to move Gaudreau to "get Monahan going". Did we do the same thing when Bennett was struggling and Monahan and Gaudreau were producing? Of course not because that's ****ing stupid. So why did we do it to Bennett?

Last edited:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Did we move Monahan off of the top line in the middle of one of his tears? That's my point not that Bennett is so much better or that he should be given more opportunity but that ass backwards logic that Bennett and Gaudreau tore it up while Monahan struggled. So we decided to move Gaudreau to "get Monahan going". Did we do the same thing when Bennett was struggling and Monahan and Gaudreau were producing? Of course not because that's ****ing stupid. So why did we do it to Bennett?

Because it's kinda ****ing important to get your 1C going.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
IF, big IF here there is much truth to this and the idea of Bennett not wanting to be here is true (which I'm not sure I buy) it reminds me way too much of the El Nino situation with the Isles and the potential to burn us.

Put Gaudreau on RW and put Bennett on the top line LW or Tkachuk on the top line and Bennett with Backlund. Janks as 3C with Vertseeg and Ferland. Profit.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Did we move Monahan off of the top line in the middle of one of his tears? That's my point not that Bennett is so much better or that he should be given more opportunity but that ass backwards logic that Bennett and Gaudreau tore it up while Monahan struggled. So we decided to move Gaudreau to "get Monahan going". Did we do the same thing when Bennett was struggling and Monahan and Gaudreau were producing? Of course not because that's ****ing stupid. So why did we do it to Bennett?

That's because Bennett and Gaudreau did not tear it up.

When Gaudreau and Monahan are firing on all cylinders they're PPG players.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Much ado about nothing. If this is the agent, it's him trying to create some leverage where there wasn't much if any previously. In other words, he's just doing his job. 'Increase your offer or my client goes to Europe and your teams horrid bottom six scoring depth becomes even worse.'

It won't happen but honestly, it might not be the worst thing for Bennett spend to a year in the KHL or wherever. More experience, more responsibility, possibly playing in the olympics, not being saddled with Brouwer's enfeebled corpse, etc. Like Giordano, Bennett could come back with the development that the Flames organization struggles to consistent provide to it's younger players.

My guess is Treliving has a flat two and/or three year deal on the table and isn't budging. Like Gaudreau last year, Bennett will end up caving but entirely unhappily. If it ends up affecting his ability to breakout, he'll probably end up being traded next year. If not and he thrives, he'll remember how the organization treated him when he had little leverage.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
IF, big IF here there is much truth to this and the idea of Bennett not wanting to be here is true (which I'm not sure I buy) it reminds me way too much of the El Nino situation with the Isles and the potential to burn us.

Put Gaudreau on RW and put Bennett on the top line LW or Tkachuk on the top line and Bennett with Backlund. Janks as 3C with Vertseeg and Ferland. Profit.

I'd be fine with that, actually. If Trelutzan feels Jankowski can fill that #3 role, then I'd lean towards;

Tkachuk - Monahan - Gaudreau
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Jankowski - Lazar
Brouwer - Stajan - Versteeg

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
That's because Bennett and Gaudreau did not tear it up.

When Gaudreau and Monahan are firing on all cylinders they're PPG players.

In Bennett's rookie year? Can anyone remember exactly what game they started playing together and when they were broken up? I'm pretty sure that Bennett and Gaudreau were both point per game players over that short 5-6 game stretch and had really good underlying numbers, I'll go watch Anthony Cooks highlights later to confirm.

Also I'm on mobile and don't know how to multi quote. But why exactly is Monahans success more important than Bennett's? You said we needed to get our 1C going so we broke up what was a more dominant duo (admittedly over a small sample size) to accomplish that? It's not like it resulted in team success seeing as we finished 26th and on top of that it was a contract year and I think it would've been interesting to see how Monahan performed without Gaudreau.

Also saw people arguing about it in the other thread Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett has been tried with Bennett on RW. They had it together for less than a game and then broke it up because it hadn't worked yet. I'd actually like to see it make a return if Ferland isn't working out or is injured.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't really trust Dreger at all anymore. Highly doubt he has any insight on the Flames.

TSN as a whole isn't very "in-the-know" when it comes to the Flames. Anything he or Bobby Mac say about the Flames should be taken with a huge grain of salt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad