Speculation: Will Treliving Show Bennett the Money?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
3.25 x 3 is my guess. Doubt he gets traded given how much the organisation talks about how they like him. If he does move it'd be for a big return.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
We need a thread for this. When, what, and for how long will Bennett get signed for? Or... will Treliving deal Bennett for a young stud like Conor Garland?

Discuss, in a civil manor of course.

Garland had 14 points in the AHL, don't see how he's suddenly a stud... But either way, I just hope Bennett gets a top 6 role whether on the Flames or another team, if another team the trade better be a good top 6 RHS young winger/center.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bennett needs to prove a lot more IMO before he get's 'paid'

that said, I think he gets dealt... He's not gonna be a center for us, nor a top 6 LW....and I doubt they move Ferland off the top RW unless they trade for a better one, or the 3M line

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Bennett hasn't earned much money, really. So I don't expect Treliving to show him much generosity. Bennett needs to sign before training camp or he'll risk having a disrupted year during a time when he needs to prove himself.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Well, what does Bennett bring right now, rather than potentialwise?

- Roughly tied with Monahan in Controlled Entries:
vrsdN

- Averages 16G/16A per 82 games (32P)
- Won 374 faceoffs last season

We shouldn't have qualified him. Joe Colborne 2.0

:sarcasm:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
In my mind, there's two options. If Flames management thinks Bennett will follow a slow progression, then they'll push for a 2 year deal. If they expect to see fireworks coming from him, then it'll be a 4 year deal. We have too many players whose contracts will expire in three years so I don't think a 3 year term will happen.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It'll be a two year deal. Or three at most; four would take him straight to UFA so that's not happening.

Management might prefer three years because that's the current window to win. So rather than have Bennett break out after two years and force them to make some trades, they have another year after which there's a number of players up that they can walk away from (Stone/Brouwer/Frolik) to pay some of Bennett/Tkachuk/Ferland/Lazar/Hamonic.

My guess is this is Treliving just being his usual slow self and it'll end up being a two year deal at somewhere between 2.5-3M. Kulak and Wotherspoon still don't have contracts either.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It'll be a two year deal. Or three at most; four would take him straight to UFA so that's not happening.

Management might prefer three years because that's the current window to win. So rather than have Bennett break out after two years and force them to make some trades, they have another year after which there's a number of players up that they can walk away from (Stone/Brouwer/Frolik) to pay some of Bennett/Tkachuk/Ferland/Lazar/Hamonic.

My guess is this is Treliving just being his usual slow self and it'll end up being a two year deal at somewhere between 2.5-3M. Kulak and Wotherspoon still don't have contracts either.

Agreed. 2 years, probably 2-2.5 million though in my opinion.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Bennett doesn't deserve anything over 3 mil unless he's signed for 5+ years

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
7 year 4AAV is what I would do

Gross. Guy hasn't shown he's worth 4 million.

He had under 30 points last year. You lock him up that long and he doesn't improve then you screwed yourself as not only will he be ridiculously over paid but he'll also be untradeable.

You essentially take one of your only movable assets with any value and destroy it on the whims of blind hope that he improves dramatically.

Not worth the risk. 2 x 2.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
2 years, but I think the cap hit will be slightly higher at $3M per.

I could see this. It's Backlund's previous contract. Treliving likes internal comparables.

"Sam, I'd like to talk to you today about being like Mike..."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->