Will ticket prices be lowered if theres a cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I believe flat out 100% no, but if a cap does come into place it would be really nice if they were. If not though I think that will truly be the point where everyone will realise no one really does care about the fans of the game at ALL. Although Im pretty sure a lot of people already think this.

Last edited:

Wetcoaster

PeterSidorkiewicz said:
I believe flat out 100% no, but if a cap does come into place it would be really nice if they were. If not though I think that will truly be the point where everyone will realise no one really does care about the fans of the game at ALL. Although Im pretty sure a lot of people already think this.

Toronto Sun columnist Al Strachan once put it this way: "As for ticket prices, they reflect what the market will bear. The Maple Leafs have the highest prices in the league for one simple reason. People will buy them at that price. Surely you don't think that ticket prices will go down if salaries are reduced, do you? If you're that stupid, you could become a judge in this country."

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Depends on the market. Many of the teams in newer US markets will likely drop the ticket prices some more.

Other teams where they are selling out, why would you drop the price? It is basic economics for a business. If you keep selling as much of a product at a higher price, then that is what you charge.

It likely will allow for their to be a greater difference between the respective teams in the NHL. Which will allow the weaker teams the chance to drop the price to try and attract new fans

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Extremely doubtful, but they may a little bit to try and bring back some of the sour fanbase.

Exactly. No team will reduce their ticket prices BECAUSE salaries are lower, these are entirely unrelated issues. As others have stated, it's a supply/demand issue, tickets aren't sold with cost-plus-pricing strategies.

That being said, there's going to be a lot of fan wooing going on, especially in the weaker US markets. They're going to need to promote themselves to appeal to fans, and this may involve reduced prices. I'm interested to see what attendance numbers are going to be like in places like Nashville and Miami.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
$41.56 was the average ticket cost last season times the total attendance of 20,336,163 and we get $845,170,934.28.

$850 million is what the ticket sales made last year.

Toronto had an average ticket of $75, times the attendance of 794,439 and we get $59,9582,925. TV revenues, concessions and corporate sponsors make Toronto quite profitable. Why would they lower the cost of the tickets when they will still have a full house under a cap system?

Montreal reins supreme is average attendance (20,555) and total attendance (842,767) last season.

1) Montreal
2) Detroit
3) Toronto

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I believe the Leafs tickets will go up...possibly even double...we'll still pay the prices, and that's the saddest part.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Joe_Strummer said:
what's better a 39 yo hockey goalie or a 39 yo science teacher, that's the question you have to ask yourself, what am I really paying for here? :dunno:

Well, in truth I guess we just have to stop paying for OTHER TEAMS players...mind you, if we're talknig about a Toronto PhysED teacher, the payoff could come down the line...seems like a good approach...

Hockey_Nut99

Here's how they will get reduced. Stop going to the hockey games in your respective market. Owners will be forced to lower ticket prices. Otherwise you can forget it. If people are willing to pay for them, then there is no need to reduce them. Like it said up top. It's what the market can bear.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If owners are willing to pay players accordingly to their budgets, then their is no need for an arbitrary salary cap number. Let them pay what they want. The players can then receive twhat the market will bear. As long as the system restricts players to a single team through the peak of their careers, the system is fair, since money has become almost neutral.

Wait, that makes too much sense. Let the owners dictate prices based on demand, but God forbid the players get the same luxury when determining their salaries!

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
scaredsensfan said:
If owners are willing to pay players accordingly to their budgets, then their is no need for an arbitrary salary cap number. Let them pay what they want. The players can then receive twhat the market will bear. As long as the system restricts players to a single team through the peak of their careers, the system is fair, since money has become almost neutral.

Wait, that makes too much sense. Let the owners dictate prices based on demand, but God forbid the players get the same luxury when determining their salaries!

It wouldn't be right to bring common sense into the lockout situation, the entire lockout is regarding the inability for the owners to use common sense when negotiating contracts, and thus they need the players to protect them from themselves.

EDIT: If you tell anyone I agreed with a Sens fan...I will hunt you down...lol

justapantherfan

Mar 12, 2002
Sunrise, Fl
www.simplaying.com
Well over the years my season tickets have gone down and now with the lockout and letting the Panthers hold my money I know that my next 2 seasons after the start of the end of the lockout are locked in at the same price.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I've posted this before but anyways. The NHL main revenue source is ticket sales. Under the owners proposals each side gets a certain percentage of total revenue. The only thing lowering ticket prices will do is shrink the size of the pie both sides share. So the owners wouldn't want lower ticket prices unless the market bears so, and neither will the players.

Both sides are greedy and people expect them to give away money out of the goodness of their hearts??

jacketracket*

JWI19 said:
I've posted this before but anyways. The NHL main revenue source is ticket sales. Under the owners proposals each side gets a certain percentage of total revenue. The only thing lowering ticket prices will do is shrink the size of the pie both sides share. So the owners wouldn't want lower ticket prices unless the market bears so, and neither will the players.

Both sides are greedy and people expect them to give away money out of the goodness of their hearts??
I agree.

I think we might see some sort of short-lived, nominal reduction --- nothing of substance, but a scrap thrown to the fans, kind of a "we feel your pain" thing.

And then it's back to normal.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
I know Dallas and Pittsburgh has already decreased a number of seats before the lockout even started

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
PeterSidorkiewicz said:

If teams are losing money at current ticket prices, why would they lower them with a cap? They'd be right back where they started. What a cap means is that prices won't likely rise much in the forseeable future.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Ticket prices will be set on a supply and demand basis. If a market's ability to support hockey is seen to have declined during the lockout, then teams will lower prices in an attempt to lure back fans. Should fan interest in tickets remain high, there is little reason to expect measurable ticket price reductions in those markets.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
grego said:
Depends on the market. Many of the teams in newer US markets will likely drop the ticket prices some more.

Other teams where they are selling out, why would you drop the price? It is basic economics for a business. If you keep selling as much of a product at a higher price, then that is what you charge.

It likely will allow for their to be a greater difference between the respective teams in the NHL. Which will allow the weaker teams the chance to drop the price to try and attract new fans

So instead of 2 for 1's they will offer 3 for 1's?

And we wonder why some teams are having problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->