Will There Be Any US TV Coverage Of The WJC's???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It'd be great if OLN would carry some games, but considering that ESPN used to have it on their secondary network, I would be surprised to see any WJC games this year. It'd be a damn shame too with the incredible roster that the US has this year. Does anyone have any in-sight on this???

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Center Ice has picked up the Canadian broadcasts in the past, I imagine they'll do the same this year. It would be really nice if OLN broadcast a few games, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Jon Prescription said:
Can't ESPN still show it? I thought they just didnt have the NHL rights.
and they would show it over college bball and nba. not likely

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Jon Prescription said:
Can't ESPN still show it? I thought they just didnt have the NHL rights.
I would imagine the rights are up for grabs and they could show the games if they wanted to, but I dunno if they care about promoting hockey at all right now.

Now that you mention ESPN, I wonder if they'll show the Frozen Four this year, or if they're just going to dump all hockey coverage? Hmm

Jack Canuck

Sep 12, 2003
Hawaii
Visit site
ESPN2 Preliminary Round Schedule (all times are central)
Sat., Dec. 25 USA vs. Russia 7:30 p.m.
Mon., Dec. 27 USA vs. Switzerland 8:00 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 29 USA vs. Belarus 8:30 p.m. (tape-delayed)

"all U.S. games that lead to the gold-medal game will be televised on ESPN2, with the exception of a U.S. appearance in the gold-medal game, which will be carried on ESPN."

http://ralphsworldjr.com/New2/index.php?page=TRS

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Jack Canuck said:
ESPN2 Preliminary Round Schedule (all times are central)
Sat., Dec. 25 USA vs. Russia 7:30 p.m.
Mon., Dec. 27 USA vs. Switzerland 8:00 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 29 USA vs. Belarus 8:30 p.m. (tape-delayed)

"all U.S. games that lead to the gold-medal game will be televised on ESPN2, with the exception of a U.S. appearance in the gold-medal game, which will be carried on ESPN."

http://ralphsworldjr.com/New2/index.php?page=TRS

That info is from last year's WJC in ND. This year it is in Vancouver.

Jack Canuck

Sep 12, 2003
Hawaii
Visit site
Trizent said:
That info is from last year's WJC in ND. This year it is in Vancouver.
crap :cry:

edit: I looked a little more and I can't see anything. For ESPN2 I looked at their T.V. listings and they currently have something called Holiday Hoops where the USA vs. Finland game would be.

Maybe the listings are still flexible :dunno:

Last edited:

NCSENSFAN

Sep 2, 2005
The only time ESPN showed any games in the past 5 to 6 years was last year when the US played and after they got knocked out they did not show any other games. I do know Center Ice showed games two years ago but not last year and they are suppose to show games this year. ESPN will not show anything on any of their channels. I also do not expect OLN to either in the states. YOur only hope is the Center Ice package.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What a load of crap, most of the best young players in the world competing for their countries and no one is even covering the games out-side of Pay Per View??? What a damn disappointment. If ESPN or even OLN had any cohones they'd show the games, hell even tape delayed would be o.k.!!!

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Sotnos said:
Now that you mention ESPN, I wonder if they'll show the Frozen Four this year, or if they're just going to dump all hockey coverage? Hmm

Frozen Four is separate from the NHL because it's arrangement with the NCAA not the NHL. ESPNU is showing various college games throughout the season and ESPN/ESPN2 will be showing the Frozen Four as part of the contractual agreement with the NCAA (which BTW, will be in Milwaukee at the Bradley Center in April).

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
As one poster already mentioned, it's not likely ESPN will carry it since every sport (except Football) is kicked to the curb in favor of NCAA b-ball...like last night, which had no NBA games and had NCAA instead. ESPN's so worthless...

buckyhockey8

Jun 13, 2005
Madison, WI
Bluesman said:
As one poster already mentioned, it's not likely ESPN will carry it since every sport (except Football) is kicked to the curb in favor of NCAA b-ball...like last night, which had no NBA games and had NCAA instead. ESPN's so worthless...
In my opinion college hoops are far more entertaining than NBA b-ball at this stage of the game. The Big Ten ACC challenge has been pretty exciting. That said I will almost always watch an average hockey game over a good b-ball game (Badger tournament games aside).

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
buckyhockey8 said:
In my opinion college hoops are far more entertaining than NBA b-ball at this stage of the game. The Big Ten ACC challenge has been pretty exciting. That said I will almost always watch an average hockey game over a good b-ball game (Badger tournament games aside).
and when you become the majority and not the MINORITY you will be able to. money rules everything. and whatever brings in more money, i.e. more advertising, i.e. more ratings, whill be what gets showed

Transported Upstater

RDriesen16 said:
and when you become the majority and not the MINORITY you will be able to. money rules everything. and whatever brings in more money, i.e. more advertising, i.e. more ratings, whill be what gets showed

True, but March Madness >>>>>>>>>> NBA Finals.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Oilers Chick said:
Frozen Four is separate from the NHL because it's arrangement with the NCAA not the NHL. ESPNU is showing various college games throughout the season and ESPN/ESPN2 will be showing the Frozen Four as part of the contractual agreement with the NCAA (which BTW, will be in Milwaukee at the Bradley Center in April).
Thanks! You are like the answer woman for college hockey around here. :D I was only wondering because I think the Frozen Four is very entertaining, so I'm glad it'll still be on. Only college hockey I ever get to see, really.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that the WJCs will only be on CenterIce. The people that did the Worlds broadcasts online previously (Mediazone?) should pick this up, I'd pay a few bucks to get to see those games.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Center Ice Still not Sure Yet If they Will Air WJC Games:

I e-mailed Center Ice and this is the response back I got:

Thanks for your email and your interest in the World Junior Championship.

We hope to televise the WJC games this season, which takes place between December 26 and January 5.

We will know definitely closer to the opening of the event, so please continue to log on to NHL.com and check your local listings for updates.

Thanks,
NHL Center Ice

NCSENSFAN

Sep 2, 2005
I think the the Frozen Four will be put on ESPNU this year forcing anyone that wants to watch coll. hockey to purchase that station. They are also putting other games on through out the season.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
NCSENSFAN said:
I think the the Frozen Four will be put on ESPNU this year forcing anyone that wants to watch coll. hockey to purchase that station. They are also putting other games on through out the season.

I think all NCAA Championship games will be either on ESPN or ESPN2. I think it is part of the contract w/ the NCAA and ESPN. All the Championship games must be on ESPN or ESPN2.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
NCSENSFAN said:

Nope, not when ALL of the NCAA championships (and this includes college hockey), other than the BCS and Final Four (which have contractual agreements with ABC, CBS or whoever) are being advertised as being carried on ESPN/ESPN2 throughout the season. Furthermore, the FF is a NATIONAL not (for the most part) a regional/conference broadcast event. While it is true that regular season games can be seen on all satellite/cable systems that carry ESPNU throughout the country, it's geared more towards that conference and/or regional area, whereas the FF is geared towards anyone and everyone who follows college hockey throughout the country because it is the national championship game.

Jack Canuck

Sep 12, 2003
Hawaii
Visit site
I got this response from USA Hockey.

Looks like Fox Sports Net North will be carrying the US-Canada game on Dec. 31 and the US semifinal and gold/bronze medal game. I’m being optimistic as you can see! Details haven’t been announced. We’re working on them as I write.

We’ll provide live audio streaming of all WJC games via usahockey.com as well.

Keep your eyes on usahockey.com for final television details.

Best,

Dave

Dave Fischer
Director of Media & Public Relations
USA Hockey, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->