Will there be a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
seeing that many of us are quite optimistic, and some just keep saying "same old, same old" I'd like to know if you think the NHL will still have a season this year...tell me your thoughts and why.

If a deal is done, Please lock this thread immediately.

thanks

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
If they think they caused a lot of damage to the NHL on Wed, just imagine the crushing blow it would be if they met and still didn't make a deal.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
HF2002 said:
Why are they meeting then? Just curious because I'm assuming you voted "no".

read what he said..he said they are not meeting not to make a deal...two negatives equal a positive..in other words, they are meeting to make a deal.. I'm pretty sure he voted "yes".

A Good Flying Bird*

go_leafs_go02 said:
seeing that many of us are quite optimistic, and some just keep saying "same old, same old" I'd like to know if you think the NHL will still have a season this year...tell me your thoughts and why.

If a deal is done, Please lock this thread immediately.

thanks

I'm leaning 60/40 in favor of a resolution in time to play.

I have two big fears.
1) Players underestimate the owners' advantage at this point, and present an offer that is deemed unacceptable. Now the players realize just stringent the owners are being, and say "screw it."

2) Kamikaze owners like Wirtz and Karmanos have no interest in anything close to a $40 Million cap, and would rather impose a cap of $30 Million next year ...

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I agree with the fact that they don't get a deal done this weekend...

There will be an even bigger backlash from the fans than we saw when Bettman canned the season..

Unless one side comes out and is a total hard arse..

Like the league not willing to budge just a bit..

or the PA asking for too much..

:amazed:

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
the impression i got from watching the tv reports at 6:30 on tsn and sportsnet and comments made by mckenzie and kypreos, theres an 80% chance a deal will be done

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
They wouldn't be meeting this soon after the "cancellation" of the season unless it was to try and revive talks. If they were going to talk about other things they would have a longer cooling off period. I believe a deal will be done by Sunday at the latest, they both have too much to lose (especially the players). Personally i think all the negative press they've gotten lately can be used to generate new interest in the game. When is the last time you've heard hockey mentioned on CNN, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Regis and Kelly and virtually every other US TV show. You know how they say that even negative press is good press, just look at Paris Hilton. :joker:

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
I'm around 90/10 optimistic. yes it may be a bit high, but there has been nothing the last few hours saying that nothing will be done..they were quite close last time, and bettman simply shut the door on them, and cancelled the season, at this rate the only smart choice they have still is to uncancel the season, and it seems like the owners and the players are starting to believe this and are pushing for it.

perhaps we can all post our percentages on how high we are thinking there will be a season.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
I voted yes. No way they get together again and either not get a deal done or do the deal and make it for next season. Not a chance...ok, maybe a chance, but I don't think so.

Edit for %: 90/10 it gets done.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
I swore I wouldn't get my hopes up anymore after they've been dashed so many times, but dammit if I can help it. I love this sport too much. Yes, I think there will be a deal.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

No.

If the players are scrambling and present anything in the next few days, it'll smell the stinky odor of desperation.

Tell them all previous offers are off the table, we've already cancelled and the dmg has been done. 38m cap, 25% rollback, take it or leave it.

Players are obviously going to get all huffy and puffy and walk out.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Canucker said:
When is the last time you've heard hockey mentioned on CNN, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Regis and Kelly and virtually every other US TV show. You know how they say that even negative press is good press, just look at Paris Hilton. :joker:

The best was Conan O'Brien talking about hockey.

Then he showed his day with the Maple Leafs (Domi, Klee, Fitzgerald) again.

Conan's monologue joke about the hockey season being canceled was something like "now if you want to watch two toothless men fight you have to watch Jerry Springer."

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
incawg said:
I swore I wouldn't get my hopes up anymore after they've been dashed so many times, but dammit if I can help it. I love this sport too much. Yes, I think there will be a deal.

At first I voted no, but that was before I found out they were meeting tommorrow :eek: but I feel the exact same way.

With all this press and all these stories, is there any way they can't get it done now? :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->