Will the WHA be televised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Canadian_man said:
OK, I'm sure this has been posted before but I don't know wheather the WHA will be televised on network TV of not. Does anybody know?

As of now, we can only speculate. My guess would be that if there's a lockout, RDS will likely broadcast some Nordiks game (In french) while TSN/SPORTSNET will likely broacast other canadian teams games, but as of now nothing official have been announced.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
The NHL can barely get a contract, let alone the WHA

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
I doubt there will be any sort of a National TV deal for the WHA, at least for the first season. If the NHL lockout lasts as long as the league predicts (at least 18 months), then the WHA may get a major TV contract if they make it to a second season and put some teams in larger TV markets. More than likely, any national WHA TV deal would be just like the deal the NHL recently inked with NBC. NBC pays no rights fee and shares the ad revenue with the league. This is very similar to the deal NBC signed with the Arena Football League. Let's say that NBC's experience with the WWE's XFL taught them some lessons in regard to TV deals.

More than likely, there will be local coverage in each city, but I would not be surprised if some cable companies pick up some of the games to fill time on their sports networks (Comcast would probably be one of the first to do so, heck I caught a CFL game on CSS (Comcast Sports Southeast), so they'd probably show just about anything sports related (I'd rather watch the WHA on there instead of the second and third rate pro wrestling shows they have on their currently).

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
vespajet said:
I doubt there will be any sort of a National TV deal for the WHA, at least for the first season. If the NHL lockout lasts as long as the league predicts (at least 18 months), then the WHA may get a major TV contract if they make it to a second season and put some teams in larger TV markets. More than likely, any national WHA TV deal would be just like the deal the NHL recently inked with NBC. NBC pays no rights fee and shares the ad revenue with the league. This is very similar to the deal NBC signed with the Arena Football League. Let's say that NBC's experience with the WWE's XFL taught them some lessons in regard to TV deals.

More than likely, there will be local coverage in each city, but I would not be surprised if some cable companies pick up some of the games to fill time on their sports networks (Comcast would probably be one of the first to do so, heck I caught a CFL game on CSS (Comcast Sports Southeast), so they'd probably show just about anything sports related (I'd rather watch the WHA on there instead of the second and third rate pro wrestling shows they have on their currently).

This is what I think, let's say Vancouver is awarded a team. They may televise it on local Vancouver TV. However, I lets say CHBC is interested in picking up Vancouver games (CHBC is the #1 station for here in the Okanagan), they could probably do what TSN does with hockey games on thursdays, televise ESPN games from their station. So CHBC could televise the Vancouver games via Vancouver's local cable staion. It will save money and people in various parts of the teams province/state will be able to see it.

I could be wrong, it may not save money at all, I'm just assuming it would because it's not on a national scale.

dwaynester

May 10, 2004
Southwestern Ontario
There will be no WHA on sportsnet

I heard the announcement from the President of Rogers Sportsnet on the Fan 590 last week.

should the NHL be locked out, they have a contingency plan in place that would see them broadcast more CHL and AHL games of the Canadian teams. You would probably see a Saturday night AHL game on Sportsnet, trying to capitalize on the lack of HNIC, plus a Sunday night CHL game from the start of the season.

TSN may be interested, since they have no other hockey avenues at present. But, that is another story for another day.

Last time around, it was Global television that broadcast the Toros every Tuesday night. I remember watching Mike Anscombe as a kid, calling the Toro games from the Gardens.

Good luck, WHA, you will definitely need it.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
MePutPuckInNet said:
I'm not exactly excited about the idea of watching the WHA, but I thought this was pretty cool....MCN

Why can't the NHL do this?

Uhmm..I have a feeling nobody looked at the link I put up. They plan on broadcasting over the internet. Pretty groovy, if you ask me.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
MePutPuckInNet said:
Uhmm..I have a feeling nobody looked at the link I put up. They plan on broadcasting over the internet. Pretty groovy, if you ask me.

I saw the link. I wouldnt like it though, I dont want to sity on my uncomfy chair staring at my little monitor and pay $5 a game (If thats what they do) and watch it on a blurry computer screen.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
well.....ok. but some people have more updated computer equipment....ya know? with like...an LCD screen. anyway, whatever.....i just thought it was a groovy idea. I wish the NHL would do it....and the CHL, too

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
MePutPuckInNet said:
well.....ok. but some people have more updated computer equipment....ya know? with like...an LCD screen. anyway, whatever.....i just thought it was a groovy idea. I wish the NHL would do it....and the CHL, too

I hope you don't think I was bashing you because I wasn't. I am aware of updated computer gear but I am unable to aford it at the moment. I would rather have the league should on TV rather than go out and buy hundreds of dollards worth of equipment to enjoy a hockey game.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Good Idea: The league is going to have Multi-Cast Networks televise the games online (probably linking off the WHA website)

Incredibly Dumb/Bad Idea: They are going to charge people to watch the games. Why would anyone want to pay to see a WHA game when they've never seen a WHA game?

They should broadcast the games free for 1 or 2 years then start charging money for them. They should at least have a TV contract before they charge PPV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad