will the real Tukonen please stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT8888

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
I have read so many contradictions about this guy. I have heard that he is a very physical player that has soft hands, i have heard that he is a defensive liability, i have heard he is defensively responsible, i have heard he looks like a girl and couldnt possibly play hockey, i have heard he is a 3rd line grinder, i heard he is the 3rd most taleted player in the draft. As a kings fan i was very happy that hey got him but now i feel no one really know anything about the guy potential wise.
I was wondering if anyone here has seen him play enough to give a honest report on the guy?

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
He played with men when 15. For two reasons..
a) he was that good, b)Hyvinkään Ahmat were that bad

He was about the youngest player in the draft, nearly 12 months younger than Ovechkin, think about that. Give him a year more, and then you'll see how hes turning out.
He has all the tools necessary to be a very very good top 6 forward. He will turn out to be that, but remember, he's almost a year younger than the other guys drafted..
He's getting more and more responsibility in SM-Liiga every day, and he's slowly growing into it. When he crosses the Atlantic, you'll be very happy to see him.

I can't decide who to compare him to, and its probably unfair for such young guys to be compared to "names". Let Lauri develop for that year and then let's start throwing labels.. you got a very very good player oozing with talent.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
He is not a VERY physical player, I mean he can hit & take punishment but he's no powerforward by any means. Definetly a gritty player.

He has good size, needs to get more muscle though to succeed both in FEL and eventually in the NHL. He has all the tools to be a successful top6 forward.

Next year should be a good indicator of his true talent, last year he got 6 points in 35games with very limited icetime, not bad for someone who turned 17 when the season started...For comparison, Saku Koivu scored 10 points in 46 games during his first FEL season and he was almost a full year older than Tukonen was when he made his debut. Not to make any comparisons, simply to give you an idea how young, inexperienced and talented he is.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i've heard from a fin that posts on other boards, and who's opinion i trust, that tukonen doesn't have the offensive upside that some make him out to have...that he's slightly overrated in that area, or at least needs to improve his skills there to meet some of the hype. that's just his opinion though...he wasn't saying tukonen is crap, he just wasn't a huge fan and didn't think he was the 3rd best forward in the draft or anything like that

at the spot where the kings got him though, how can you go wrong. he's probably got a top 6 forward upside no matter what and if he scores 20-30 goals and 50-60 points, you've still got a winner of a draft pick at number 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad