Will Ryan Suter be inducted to the HHOF?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
This is a very interesting case in my opinion. There are a few obvious defensemen from this era, but then there are some players behind them. Ryan Suter is one of them.

As of now he's at 943 games and 459 points. Soon to be 33. Still playing at a very high level, averaging the most time on ice per game in the league. His playoff record is rather poor, though, with 78 games, 29 points and -22.

Ryan Suter Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
NHL.com - Stats

He's got a voting record for the Norris that goes like this:

One AS1 on his record.

Is he a future hall of famer?

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
His case would look a lot better on paper if he had won the Norris in 2013 [like he should have], but even then I think he'd still have to add significant value between now and the end of his career.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He’s a Weber calibre guy, but Weber’s not necessarily a HOFer in my book. He’s less flashy too (no viking beard, no booming shot) which plays against him, and American (lesser chance on international success).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No, I don't think so. If there are people unsure of Weber getting in then how do you even think of Suter? I don't know if he is a guy that will end up with a career better than someone like Desjardins.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I am also leaning towards no. Looking at the full picture, there just isn't enough that stands out to me. A very good player for a long time, but not HHOF calibre as far as I am concerned. But we'll see, he's still got some hockey left in him obviously. A couple of long playoff runs where he is dominant could change it.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
This is a very interesting case in my opinion. There are a few obvious defensemen from this era, but then there are some players behind them. Ryan Suter is one of them.

As of now he's at 943 games and 459 points. Soon to be 33. Still playing at a very high level, averaging the most time on ice per game in the league. His playoff record is rather poor, though, with 78 games, 29 points and -22.

Ryan Suter Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
NHL.com - Stats

He's got a voting record for the Norris that goes like this:

One AS1 on his record.

Is he a future hall of famer?
Lol isn't it my job to make HHOF cases of HOVG players :laugh:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
He’s a Weber calibre guy, but Weber’s not necessarily a HOFer in my book. He’s less flashy too (no viking beard, no booming shot) which plays against him, and American (lesser chance on international success).
Really? That's an argument for HHOF induction? Especially the beard argument.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Norris runner-up and a AS1 in a shortened season, along with two top 5s in Norris voting. Only other thing I could find outside of his NHL career is a silver medal in 2010. Suter does eat a ton of minutes and has been durable through his career, but I don't those qualities are exactly HHOF-worthy achievements.

Does he get in? Barring a late career surge I don't think there's enough there to give him a nod.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Suter is playing in an era that, while not comparable to the 70s or 90s, certainly has a larger-than-usual density of top defensemen. Doughty, Keith, Karlsson, Subban, Weber, Burns all have "shots" at the HOF. Throw in other top defensemen like McDonagh, Pietrangelo, OEL, Josi, etc., and the depth is quite impressive. Also, all-time greats Chara and Lidstrom have overlapped, albeit mostly outside of their primes.

I'm not saying that he would make the HOF on his current pace, but I think that should be taken into account when talking about his Norris voting record. A season where you get Norris votes today is more impressive to me than if you got Norris votes in the mid 2000s (post lockout) or early 80s.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
He did have 6 straight top 10 Norris finishes which is impressive but I don't think he was an elite defenseman for a long enough time, was never the driving force on a the defense of a dynasty team. Unless your defense is at at a Chara level it's hard to justify being in with 'meh' offensive numbers. He's not at the level of other modern HOF defensemen (Karlsson, Chara, Doughty, Keith).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I hope not, but I'm somewhat of a hater for Suter.Not active hatred, just a general dislike for #1 defensemen in his mold.I'd never pay premium for a guy like that, and greatly prefer guys of the style of Weber to have as a #1.

Basically, I see Ryan Suter as having the perfect style to be a #2, but that is too good to get paid #2 money, and thus de facto either becomes your #1 or fill your cap space for something that is easier to buy cheaper (but at a lesser level), whereas it's harder to find a lesser level of the Weber prototype.

It's a bit like the one-dimensional offensive center that put up good numbers, and thus gets paid #1 center money, that you have to run your offense through, but that is too weak for you to be a real top team with him on board (in most contexts).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->