Will Ovechkin be allowed into the draft in 2004?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vega007

Heard so much about this guy but I also heard the Russian Federation won't let him come to play in North America. Has he said that he will enter the draft or what?

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
vega007 said:
Heard so much about this guy but I also heard the Russian Federation won't let him come to play in North America. Has he said that he will enter the draft or what?

Vega, from which credible source did you " heard the Russian Federation won't let him come to play in North America "?

Some facts...

- As other players, OV could decide to not play in NHL in 2003-04 if there is a strike or a lock-out.

- Some Russian teams are already offering up to a million dollars per year for players. That offers an option to Russians players in their negociation with NHL teams. Those are the rules for open market. As other, Ovechkin will use this power bargainning next year. And who knows what could happen.

- The actual agreement between NHL, NHLPA and IIHF will end next year. Russian hockey Federetion is not please at all with the amount of money given by NHL teams to Russians clubs when they lose players for NHL. Russian fede is determined to change the rules.

- Ovechkin is a king in Russia. Aged only 18 and 3 months old, he almost lead actually the vote by the fans to designate the players who will be part of the annual star game betweenn east and west.

- Ovechkin has repeated many times in the past he wants to play in NHL.

Personally, I would bet that he would play next year in NHL for I would not be stunted if it would not happen.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
paul sums it up pretty well. That is why it is so important to do what it takes to get this kid over here. The NHL is losing money and status around the world and as the other leagues around the world start being able to offer solid cash to its players there will be less and less of them coming over to play here. The talent pool can hardly support the amount of teams we have now, imagine if star young players like Ove stay in their homeland. It could be a big blow to the NHL for certain.

In Russia, like paul said, Ove is absolutely thier 99 and is being treated and thought of the same way that Wayne was at this age. He could be elected King, Pope and President right now if it were up to the people. That is a commodity that a country like Russia, with its political strife and all could really use to its own benefit.

People talk about how to fix the game, contraction so that there are fewer sub standard NHL caliber players would be a great start. Take away the star players from Europe mate and it will get bloody well worse in no time. A few years ago (not that many then) I was in the cold northern reaches of Europe and watched Mats Naslund play a game in a proffesional league. It was fast paced with NO water skiing or cluthcing and grabbing or holding or running the goalie and it was more fun to watch than the NHL. Of course, there weren't nearly half as many great players but, on the big ice and all, it was a kick to watch and if IT was to replace the NHL (not that it could but I mean if a game like it were to) I would like it all the more. If other leagues can keep their star young players at home the NHL could bloody well be done. Hows that for more than you wanted to read! ;) (assuming you actually did)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->