Will NYR excel in a 3 month season?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's interesting. The team, as a whole, is fairly the same as last year. I'd say it all depends on how Nash's addition into the lineup effects the chemistry of the team. If they can click early, then being one of the best teams in the East on paper is a great thing. If Nash can't seem to gel with Richards, or Stepan, or Gaborik early, then it will probably take a while to get the team into the groove they need.

What about the potential of lots of back-to-back games? Biron might have to play a big role as well and towards the end of last season he wasn't spectacular. He'll have to win more than he loses.

Every game will be intraconference and have playoff implications. If the NHL does get their **** together and play a 40-48 game season, then we should be in for quite a treat.

And, as machinehead says, it definitely helps with the Rangers style of play. However, with all those games jam packed into a short schedule, it might be just as grueling as 82.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
The Nash trade being the wildcard imo...

How long does it take to find the right chemistry?

After that the condensed season will be an advantage to NYR imo. No all star break, no winter classic distractions.

A powerful condensed season > roll into the playoffs with momentum

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
I think they will excel. A full season is always better for the stronger team as any team can get hot for a short period of time but The Rangers are built solidly and should excel
Now that football is over lets get this lockout over with and play some hockey!

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The Rangers style plus Lundqvist not having to play 70 games before the playoffs start = advantage. Not to mention a healthy Gaborik that only has to play 48 games.

Like others have said Nash is the wild card but I think the difference Nash makes brings the Rangers being a 4/5th seed to being the 1/2 seed in the East.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
It all depends on whether the teams can find a groove and score goals. There also has to be a better transition game than there was last season. Defense is great, but if they can't move the puck out of the zone, having Nash, Gaborik etc isn't going to help as much as it looks like it would on paper.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Really depends on how quickly Nash can assimilate himself into the line up. That extra weapon will go a long way in determining how lethal this team can be. Defensive depth is a bit suspect as well.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Should be good. A lot of rust, but we have a decent amount of guys who played a bit.

Healthy Gabs is good news. Less tired Lundqvist is good news. Nash shouldn't have any issue performing even if he doesn't immediately adapt and gel with Richie/Step. He's always managed to score important goals and change the tone of games before. Top O and D guys are the same, with the addition of Nash... no real subtraction.

Curious to see how bottom 6 do as that's changed quite a bit. PK may suffer a bit for a while.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
What do you think?

Will a shortened season be an advantage or a disadvantage to the Rangers roster?

No doubt it was good that we did not have to play while Gaborik was injured. You would have to.blind not to see that.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I usually just stick to the OT, and the lockout thread in here, but what the hell I'll give my opinion.

I think the Rangers have a really good chance. I think any team has a chance to get into the playoffs in a 48 game season. Maybe not the Isles:laugh:, but nobody is safe I don't think. Toronto was in 8th place after 48 games last year, and we know where they ended up. Phoenix was 12th in the West, and won the Pacific in the end.

The Rangers will be in the playoffs no matter what. I'd say that's a given, but I think the 3 month season will help because the team will be more rested after the long playoff run. Lundqvist also does not particularly appear to be prone to rust like Brodeur, and Luongo after sitting for long periods of time.

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
If everyone clicks right off the bat, we're top seed in the East again. That's my bold prediction for the year (if they get this done, of course).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad