Will new rules affect drafting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
With the limited "trapezoid area" for goalie puckhandling, will goalies who actively played the puck away from the net area be of less value?

With the loss of the center line and bluelines now further out will "rugged, stay at home- but not terribly mobile" defensemen be of less value?

With no center-line AND with shootouts, will sprinters and flashy puck handlers be of more value?

With the new IIHF agreement there should be no problem drafting Russians but will the fact that they now have to be sugned within 2 years mean that non- top 2 round Euro prospects will fall considerably?

Your thoughts...

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I'd have to think that these aspects of the new NHL will be taken into account when players are drafted.

However, goalies are designed to stop the puck and players are designed to play the game. Hockey is still Hockey. With that in mind, I'd say not too many players will be shunned come draft day.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i don't think the new rules will have any impact on this years draft cause you have no idea if the changes will work or if the league will enforce rules...plus not many teams go into the draft looking for unskilled guys that clutch.

but in future years things might change, if the game really does open up then you might see teams going after smaller guys with skill that didn't go as high in past years.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The big difference might be drafting Europians. While i don't think it will be a huge difference, the fact you only have 2 years to sign them might be a deciding factor if you looking for a guy from Europe or a guy from North America

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
boredmale said:
The big difference might be drafting Europians. While i don't think it will be a huge difference, the fact you only have 2 years to sign them might be a deciding factor if you looking for a guy from Europe or a guy from North America

is that definite?? i haven't seen that confirmed anywhere that you only have 2 years to sign euros (i hope its true)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
NYR469 said:
is that definite?? i haven't seen that confirmed anywhere that you only have 2 years to sign euros (i hope its true)

I just read it a bunch of places, not 100% sure it's true. If it is i don't think it includes players taken before this years draft(not sure about the 2005 draft though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad