Will Malkin hit 100 pts next year?

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Malkin is a better player than Ovechkin, and with so many players emerging for the Penguins I think it is probable.

Sid, Malkin, Malone, Christensen, Armstrong, Ouellet, etc. that is a supporting cast that looks better and better every year.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
BigE said:
Malkin is a better player than Ovechkin, and with so many players emerging for the Penguins I think it is probable.

Sid, Malkin, Malone, Christensen, Armstrong, Ouellet, etc. that is a supporting cast that looks better and better every year.

I'd say Ovy is easily better than Malkin right now.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
J17ster said:

I'd say Ovechkin is better right now but its close.......certainly not 'easily' better. Remember, when comparing them at the same age, Malkin has ALWAYS outdone Ovechkin. No reason he can't do it again next year.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Zine said:
I'd say Ovechkin is better right now but its close.......certainly not 'easily' better. Remember, when comparing them at the same age, Malkin has ALWAYS outdone Ovechkin. No reason he can't do it again next year.

True, but then there still was a reason why Ovy was chosen ahead of Malkin. I was wrong when i said "easily", but we still don't know just how good Malkin is or can be. As for Malkin outdoing Ovy, interesting to see if he can do in his rookie season.

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I haven't seen much of Malkin thus far (FSN doesn't play many super league games for some reason.......) but would comparing Malkin to a younger Federov with a more physical side be a fair comparison? That's what i get from reading about him.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
HockeyMan9 said:
I haven't seen much of Malkin thus far (FSN doesn't play many super league games for some reason.......) but would comparing Malkin to a younger Federov with a more physical side be a fair comparison? That's what i get from reading about him.
Yes, that's a good comparison from what I've seen. He's a very good skater (though not quite in Fedorov's league) who is very good in his own zone.

Malkin will be at least a PPG player next season if he comes over. I'd guess 90+ points if he plays every game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
J17ster said:
True, but then there still was a reason why Ovy was chosen ahead of Malkin.

To be fair...Ovechkin had been hyped as the #1 in his draft year since he hit puberty. Malkin was almost unknown until halfway through his draft year.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Jaded-Fan said:
Malkin is a huge, huge player. Those sometimes take longer to develope. On the other hand it has not seemed to hurt him at all in the Olympics or in Russia. No, I stand by what I said above, if he is indeed what everyone says he is there is no reason that he should not at least come close to that 100 points.
i think you hit the nail on the head....he still looks like he is still in that awkward state....thin bones and all....so it still may take a little longer to reach his peak....[late bloomer]..but when he does, look out......forget that look out now! :)

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Well... he who says he wont overthrow Crosby for that number 1 center spot? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, judging by this year's RSL scoring... he won't score more than Morozov or Mozyakin would have scored this year. Morozov even has the bonus of knowing the North American game. You guys are raising the bar too high.

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Slitty said:
Well... he who says he wont overthrow Crosby for that number 1 center spot? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, judging by this year's RSL scoring... he won't score more than Morozov or Mozyakin would have scored this year. Morozov even has the bonus of knowing the North American game. You guys are raising the bar too high.

Too bad it appears it will be atleast another year before Mozyakin comes over, if ever.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Slitty said:

Considering how incongruous the RSL scoring charts are with the NHL's, I don't think you could say that with any degree of confidence. I don't remember Ovechkin competing for the RSL's scoring title, but concerning his NHL future, that was hardly indicative of anything.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
octopi said:
I've been thinking about it. Malkin somehow doesn't seem as outgoing as AO, and probably won't pick up English as easy.He's going to end up on a team where he'll either hang out with the pushing 30 Gonchar or Sid , who's basically the same age, but won't be able to talk to him so well. First year may be rougher than you'd think for him.

I guess he could hang out with Koltsov. And I'm sure Malkin's beard will keep him company.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
rigger said:
I think they will combine for more then that, I can see Crosby putting up near 150 points next season especially with Malkin. Both are great passer and both can finish so they will have fun playing pass on the PP and then scoring.

I am not overly confident Malkin will hit 100 points but if he does crosby will have a huge part in that and he will have at least 140-150 him self.

People can bash me now if they want but Crosby is a better player then Ovechkin, he sees the ice better, is a better passer and better defensively. Ovechkin is a better finisher and has a better shot. Next year Crosby will pass Ovechkin point wise and never look back.

He is a better player.

I think we're getting a little crazy here. I've quickly learned never to write off Crosby, but 150 points as early as next year is unlikely, to say the least.

If both players combined for 200 points, I think that'd be incredible.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Yeah, him and Koltsov would probably be become buddies... Gonchar is a tad old. I dont know why you got him as a translator when you have Koltsov.

Mozyakin did outscore Malkin... but he is the 3rd best offensive center in Russia after Malkin and Zvinvojev. A case can be made for two way guys like Taratukhin being better than him. He should fit nicely into an NHL 2nd line though, and perhaps get better as time went along.

However, Malkin was on the best team in the RSL... unlike Mozyakin... thus the Ovechkin syndrome of "he had nobody to play with" only applies to Mozyakin. Morozov outscored him and was probably MVP this year, especially with scoring 13 goals and 13 assists for 26 points in 13 playoff games to crown Ak Bars champions. However, he was on a line consisting of Zaripov-Zvinovjev-Morozov... and that would make a pretty damn good offensive line by NHL standards.

200 points for Malkin + Crosby would surprise me. If Crosby improves on his total and Malkin matches Ovechkin + Crosby nobody would be overly shocked. 250 between the two looks like a nice goal. Are you guys sure Crosby cant just play left wing?

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
J17ster said:
In the Olympics, Malkin was arguably better than Ovechkin.

What concrete argument can you bring?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I have a man crush on Malkin, but its pretty tough for any 2nd line center to get 100 points nowadays, even if he does play on the top powerplay unit all season.

I'm not going to make a prediction one way or the other.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I doubt that he will. And it's not because he is not that talented or something. I think it's because Malkin is homesick and it will be hard for him to adjust... So I don't expect anything from him in 1st or 2nd monthes, but if he will not win player of the month in February or March or both I'll call him bust ;)

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
rigger said:
I think they will combine for more then that, I can see Crosby putting up near 150 points next season especially with Malkin. Both are great passer and both can finish so they will have fun playing pass on the PP and then scoring.

I am not overly confident Malkin will hit 100 points but if he does crosby will have a huge part in that and he will have at least 140-150 him self.

People can bash me now if they want but Crosby is a better player then Ovechkin, he sees the ice better, is a better passer and better defensively. Ovechkin is a better finisher and has a better shot. Next year Crosby will pass Ovechkin point wise and never look back.

He is a better player.

150 points because of Malkin :)

Using this seasons stats to project 150 points next season:

58G 92A

63A-92A = +29A

39-58 goals is a 19 goal increase.

Almost as many assists as Thornton this season (who do the Pens have = to Cheechoo in there system?).

More goals then Gagne, Gionta, Heatley, AO, Jagr and reining Rocket winner Cheechoo have this season?

Even if its say +10G(49) in order to reach 150 points that is 38 more assists(+60%) then Crosby had this season.

While it might be true that Crosby will have more points then AO in his career, will he ever come close to AO in goals?

Malkin is(?) coming over to a foreign country on a losing team and will be playing a new style of hockey then he is used to.

Just because both AO/SC reached 100 points this season does that automatically mean Malkin will do the same in his rookie season.

People complain about Malkin passing too much, if he is going to be the 2nd line centre won’t he have the lesser linemates to work with?

Malkin might have to shoot more out of necessity rather then choice.

Malkin will be facing goalies such as Lund and Brodeur on a constant bases with the Pens, Hatcher/Tucker and D such as Redden/Chara.

While he might have played V some of the East’s top players in international tournaments, small ice is entirely different game.

Malkin is allowed a few months of adjustment before his verdict is sentenced.

Points should not be the primary concern for Pens fans, getting into the playoffs should be.

92 points was 8th place this season compared to the Pens 58(2nd worst) points.

92-58 = +34P or 17W.

If Atlanta ever gets a healthy starting goalie/ Toronto gets some young fast players + say Chara, the Pens will have a lot of competition to make the playoffs next season.

Tampa can miss the playoffs next year if they play like they have this season, but that is only one playoff spot.

dok101

Jan 2, 2006
New York
From what I saw in the Olympics, I don't think he'll hit 100 points. He is a tremendous talent but Ovechkin and Crosby are more offensively gifted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad