Will Malkin hit 100 pts next year?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I've been thinking about it. Malkin somehow doesn't seem as outgoing as AO, and probably won't pick up English as easy.He's going to end up on a team where he'll either hang out with the pushing 30 Gonchar or Sid , who's basically the same age, but won't be able to talk to him so well. First year may be rougher than you'd think for him.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
octopi said:
I've been thinking about it. Malkin somehow doesn't seem as outgoing as AO, and probably won't pick up English as easy.He's going to end up on a team where he'll either hang out with the pushing 30 Gonchar or Sid , who's basically the same age, but won't be able to talk to him so well. First year may be rougher than you'd think for him.

Gonchar is 31 or 32 I believe, not making a big deal of it though just saying. I don't know, not being "outgoing" doesn't mean he won't learn the language. Jagr took waaaay too long to learn the language and he turned out all right anyways. When you're that good the language barrier isn't that big of a problem in my opinion. You don't have to be fluent in English to score goals, set up goals or play great defense if you're already adept at all three.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Feathering passes tape to tape is the universal

Language of hockey eh?, Then when he wants it back he taps his stick, What's the problem?

Pittsburgh will be formidable with that duo.. it sucks that they got those two guys.. 1 should have fell to us newbies...

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
AHL MV said:
He'll get 88, but his new beard will get 25 more.

There is no chin behind Malkin's beard. Only another fist.

Seriously, I think he'll take a little more time to adjust to the NA style and rink size, so I'll say around 85. And I agree with Tjardus Greidanus. I think when all is said and done, he'll be better than Crosby and Ovechkin. Forget Jagr. Malkin is the REAL Mario junior.

Mr.Brownov*

CRUNK JUICE said:
I think when all is said and done, he'll be better than Crosby and Ovechkin. Forget Jagr. Malkin is the REAL Mario junior.
:teach:

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
CRUNK JUICE said:
There is no chin behind Malkin's beard. Only another fist.

Seriously, I think he'll take a little more time to adjust to the NA style and rink size, so I'll say around 85. And I agree with Tjardus Greidanus. I think when all is said and done, he'll be better than Crosby and Ovechkin. Forget Jagr. Malkin is the REAL Mario junior.

I dunno that's a bold statement. Crosby's on pace with Mario for a career so far let's just wait and see. I think Malkin will hit 100 points but it's no easy task. I think the only problem he might have is that he really does need to learn to shoot more often instead of passing. Dishing it off to Surovy, Rita, etc. isn't gonna get you 100 points.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Guys I think a lot of people have too high expectations because of the numbers AO and Crosby put up. It is not like the league has 20 100 point scorers, it will have 9 at most this season.
Malkin will likely center the second line and not be the regular linemate of Crosby. I think Malkin will be a great player but expecting more than 80 points is too much. Yes he has the talent, but we need to stay realistic here.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I'm a Malkin fan, and am I the only person who would be happy if he scored more than 60 points, and hysterically happy if he got more than 80?

It just seems like the bar has not been set INSANELY high by Crosby & AO.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I think he'll score a lot of points, close to a point per game. But I'd be surprized if he gets 100. Of course, if he plays with Hilbert and/or Armstrong, the sky is the limit.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
At 19 hes already the best allround player on the planet IMO. I think he will end up around 80-90 points. But give him time ! I see a lot of Mario in him.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
IMO he's gonna be a Joe Thornton type of player, except a bit less physical. I mean, I could very well see him end up with 20 goals 85 assists or something ridiculous like that.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Well Crosby and Ovy both got 100 + points, so i guess its very possible. However they only just got 100 points, so i wouldn't be suprised to see him do it as well ... but i don't expect him to get 100 points.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Malkin has competing things working for and against him. First of all, given Crosby's play this year, he will almost certainly be centering the second line except for some time on the PP. Pittsburgh hardly is choke full of wing prospects as it is meaning that the second line will have some pretty paltry leftovers for Malkin to play with. On the other hand, that is just what Crosby had this year and it did not hurt him overly much. If Malkin has the skill he should be able to make use of the same Hilbert and Armstrong, who likely will be bumped down by a couple of FA signings. On the positive side for Malkin, he should face the second line defensive unit where Crosby faced the top unit all this year and likely will again next year.

All in all I would say that it is a wash. If Malkin indeed does have Crosby type skills he very well could hit that 100 points. One wild card though. Malkin is a huge, huge player. Those sometimes take longer to develope. On the other hand it has not seemed to hurt him at all in the Olympics or in Russia. No, I stand by what I said above, if he is indeed what everyone says he is there is no reason that he should not at least come close to that 100 points.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
Shoalzie said:
If he plays next year, he and Crosby could combine for around 200 points.

I think they will combine for more then that, I can see Crosby putting up near 150 points next season especially with Malkin. Both are great passer and both can finish so they will have fun playing pass on the PP and then scoring.

I am not overly confident Malkin will hit 100 points but if he does crosby will have a huge part in that and he will have at least 140-150 him self.

People can bash me now if they want but Crosby is a better player then Ovechkin, he sees the ice better, is a better passer and better defensively. Ovechkin is a better finisher and has a better shot. Next year Crosby will pass Ovechkin point wise and never look back.

He is a better player.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
rigger said:
I think they will combine for more then that, I can see Crosby putting up near 150 points next season especially with Malkin. Both are great passer and both can finish so they will have fun playing pass on the PP and then scoring.

I am not overly confident Malkin will hit 100 points but if he does crosby will have a huge part in that and he will have at least 140-150 him self.

People can bash me now if they want but Crosby is a better player then Ovechkin, he sees the ice better, is a better passer and better defensively. Ovechkin is a better finisher and has a better shot. Next year Crosby will pass Ovechkin point wise and never look back.

He is a better player.

I agree.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Jaded-Fan said:
Malkin has competing things working for and against him. First of all, given Crosby's play this year, he will almost certainly be centering the second line except for some time on the PP. Pittsburgh hardly is choke full of wing prospects as it is meaning that the second line will have some pretty paltry leftovers for Malkin to play with. On the other hand, that is just what Crosby had this year and it did not hurt him overly much. If Malkin has the skill he should be able to make use of the same Hilbert and Armstrong, who likely will be bumped down by a couple of FA signings. On the positive side for Malkin, he should face the second line defensive unit where Crosby faced the top unit all this year and likely will again next year.

All in all I would say that it is a wash. If Malkin indeed does have Crosby type skills he very well could hit that 100 points. One wild card though. Malkin is a huge, huge player. Those sometimes take longer to develope. On the other hand it has not seemed to hurt him at all in the Olympics or in Russia. No, I stand by what I said above, if he is indeed what everyone says he is there is no reason that he should not at least come close to that 100 points.

I was actually contemplating keeping our first line intact from this year and giving Malkin whatever winger they hopefully sign. He'll have the better linemates but it might be to his benefit just cuz Crosby's already got a year under his belt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad