Will MacKinnon score 100 points or more this season?

Will MacKinnon score 100 points or more this season?

• Yes

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 108 80.6%

• Total voters

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
See the title. Started slow, 5 points in his first 10 games, which is 41 point pace over 82 games.

After that he has scored 33 points in 22 games, which is 123 point pace over 82 games.

In total he has 38 points in 32 games, which is 97 point pace over 82 games.

To get to 100 points he needs to score 62 points in the last 50 games of the season.

I can see him doing that if he doesn't totally cool down or get injured for an extended period of time. He has looked unreal for the last 1½ months. What do you guys think, will he do it?

Edit. I should add that he is currently in top 10 scoring and has 8th highest ppg in the league.

Link to his Eliteprospects page Nathan MacKinnon

Last edited:

Party Kane

Nov 7, 2013
Chicago
How many points do you see him scoring then if it won't be even close? You think he is just having a hot streak?

Probably around 75-85, theres rarely ever a single player that hits 100 points these days and I don't see Mackinnon ever having that kind of production.

Reactions: Jarey Curry

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Probably around 75-85, theres rarely ever a single player that hits 100 points these days and I don't see Mackinnon ever having that kind of production.

Fair enough. Scoring seems to be up though and MacK has, at least in my opinion, taken another step offensively.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
This season is an aberration. Before last night's games, I had checked something and discovered that this year there were 27 players (out of the top 50) @ ppg or better, vs last year's 8.

This tells me that average production will be higher. However, I think that once the new rule about slashing that is giving many PPs is fully metabolized, players will slow down. I think we will have 2-3 100+ points players (Kucherov-Stamkos-McDavid, that's about it, I think). McKinnon not being one of them.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
I'm been on the Mackinnon hype train since before he got drafted, but the hype right now is starting to get a bit too much. As much as I'd like to see him score 100 points, expectations need to be tempered right now.

Still not as over the top as after his rookie season+playoffs for hype, but it's getting there....

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
No, but he's performing up to his potential for the last few weeks. It's nice to see. I could see him scoring over 80 points, which would be quite impressive given the state of Colorado.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
if mackinnon finished point per game, he is what i want him to be and what i expect him to be. 100 points is possible as a one off, MAYBE, but only when colorado as a team is much better.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
One of the worst polls i seen on hf

Well then you haven't been here for long. But I've gotta admit, it is a bad poll now even when I think about it more. I believe that 90 is truly reachable for him and to reach 100 he should stay on fire for the next 50 games too, even then it would be difficult even then. I should had used the word "can" instead of "will" in this poll and thread.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

New flash dude, scoring is waaaay up this year with no signs of slowing down.

This isn't the NHL of the last 5-6 years. With the heavy enforcement of slashing, the new goalie equipment, and the new icing rule, goal scoring especially among the leagues top players is up. At this point I suspect at minimum 10 players will hit the 82 point, PPG+ threshold, and 15 players total will go PPG+(With some being a little below the 82 GP mark).

Mackinnon is well on his way to being one of them and is one of about 9-10 guys still very much in the conversation for 100+ points while approaching the halfway mark of the season. For reference at this time last year, 2 players were in the conversation for 100+ points.

At this time last year 8 players were at 1.o PPG or higher. This year that number is currently at 29.

Anyway, to answer the OP. If I were to guess I think he comes up short, eclipsing the PPG mark but landing closer to the 85-90 range. But he's creating offense and high quality chances literally every time the puck touches his stick the last 20 games or so. This week alone he easily could have scored 5 more goals then he did, if not for missed penalties, posts, Terrible NHL rules, and straight up getting robbed.

Reactions: slobbergob

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He won't score 100, but I won't be shocked if he puts up about 90 points. If these keep going the way they are offensively, 90 points this season won't be equivalent to 90 points in the past few seasons.

Ultimately, it won't be as if he's surpassing, say, Crosby's production from last season if he does in fact hit 90 points and the League-wide scoring level remains about what it has been.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He'll get around 75. He doesn't have the secondary support to be putting up big numbers when he inevitably gets cold for a bit. His oiSH% is also above 10, and in general it has stayed relatively low outside his rookie year. That has depressed his numbers somewhat, but I'm not sure if his play style will lead to it staying high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad