Will Goodenow go down in sports history as the smartest fool of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The players would never start their own league... if they did, they would then find out there is a major difference in signing cheques for all costs, instead of just cashing their cheques, at all costs...

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Bicycle Repairman said:
It's borne out by the example of scores of businesses who suffered long-term damage to the bottom-line by the buying public when they persued a stigmatic policy of scab labor.

The scab labor we are discussing is neither long-term nor stigmatic.
It is merely a short-term transition into fiscal balance.

After 2-3 years with replacement players, the NHL will see to that it resumes drafting the best young players from junior leagues and inviting the best players of the world to earn those enormous wages that European leagues simply cannot sustain dishing out.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Newsguyone said:
20 years from now, people will hardly remember Goodenow's name.
I'm not blaming this on Bettman (not in this thread anyway).
I'm not stupid enough to suggest this about 1 person's ego. (Or even two people's ego)
This is about greed. On both sides.
My point is about responsibility.
Regardless of how you feel about Goodenow, this armegeddon, as it has been called, has happened on Bettman's watch

Then we certainly can find some common ground. These are two people who are supposed to be working together to make hockey work, and today it would seem they have failed in this regard quite spectacularly.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Now, it's a stretch, of course. But what if the NHL players were in the WHA or a new league?

The problem with that is that the NHL and its affiliated minor leagues own or control more North American hockey arenas than at any other time in history. Then there's the example of the Philadelphia Flyers, who own an arena-management company which runs a dozen or so facilities.

The original WHA was helped by the fact that, back then, many hockey arenas were still owned by municipal governments that would rent out to whomever. This is not the case today.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
The scab labor we are discussing is neither long-term nor stigmatic.
It is merely a short-term transition into fiscal balance..
Its effects will be felt long term for a league that is viewed as niche (at best) with a marginal imprint on the American sports consumer. A league that has consistently criticised its own product the last few years is not going to be viewed favorably in the future with a "scab" appellation prefaced to their brand name.

A Good Flying Bird*

This whole Players vs. Franchise is interesting.

But it's not an either/or situation.

Sure, Detroit fans will always like the Wings, whether the best player is Yzerman or Dale McCourt.
So they root for the jersey.

But then again, they are also rooting for the team in a league with the best players in the world.

If the NHL was filled with low-talent scrubs instead of the best players on earth, no one would care.
Well, few would care.

If the IHL suddenly had all the top players, Detroit fans would start rooting for the Vipers, or whoever was closest.

People watch the NHL because it is the best league going.

People wouldn't be excited about their favorite NHL team if the NHL was only the second or third best league in the NHL.

I would hope that people on BOTH sides can see a symbiotic relationship here.

A Good Flying Bird*

Beatnik said:
I don't understand the people who blame Goodenow and saying that the players are'nt important. If it was true there would be no problems.

The players would be paid almost nothing because the owner would have no reason to pay them well. If the owner gives those type of contract, it's because they know it brings people into the buildings.

Also those who don't care about the players should be able to appreciate any league as much as the NHL so they have no reason to hate Goodenow.

Hello!
Finally.

People are beginning to separate facts from rhetoric.

SENSible1*

Bicycle Repairman said:
It's borne out by the example of scores of businesses who suffered long-term damage to the bottom-line by the buying public when they persued a stigmatic policy of scab labor.

How did replacement players turn out for the NFL?

Please explain, in detail, the damage done to their league by their use. (It shouldn't be too hard, they've been in shambles ever since ;) )

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
How did replacement players turn out for the NFL?

Please explain, in detail, the damage done to their league by their use. (It shouldn't be too hard, they've been in shambles ever since ;) )

Was that a long term NFL strategy, though?

If I recall correctly, the NFLPA eventually won their free agency demands through the courts. Of course, this was after all the hoopla died down.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
Newsguyone said:
If the NHL was filled with low-talent scrubs instead of the best players on earth, no one would care.
Well, few would care.

If the IHL suddenly had all the top players, Detroit fans would start rooting for the Vipers, or whoever was closest.

People watch the NHL because it is the best league going.

People wouldn't be excited about their favorite NHL team if the NHL was only the second or third best league in the NHL.
Using your logic, junior teams, minor league teams, NCAA teams, and Euro teams should not have any fans at all because none of the leagues those teams play in can lay claim to being the best league in the world.

But teams in all those leagues have very dedicated followings - some downright rabid. In fact, in my experience ECHL fans are even more dedicated than NHL ones in terms of the time they put into following their teams. They don't pay as much money for tickets and concessions but many will go on weekend roadtrips to drive all over the South to watch their "low-talent scrubs."

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Kaiped Krusader said:
... but many will go on weekend roadtrips to drive all over the South to watch their "low-talent scrubs."
lol .... puck bunnies will go to all lengths to get their hockey player.

dr

SENSible1*

Bicycle Repairman said:
Was that a long term NFL strategy, though?
Who, other than you, is claiming it is a long term stategy for the NHL?
If I recall correctly, the NFLPA eventually won their free agency demands through the courts. Of course, this was after all the hoopla died down.
And the league got the best labour deal in pro sports, turning it into an unparalleled success story ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brent Burns Beard