Will Fritsche, Brown, and Kesler be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I haven't heard anything about these three being released to play for Team USA in the upcoming WJC's. From what I've seen and heard, none of them are integral parts of thier teams but that doesn't always mean a player will actually be released. Has anyone heard anything?

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Dave Nonis, the vancouver canucks AGM, said that if the time was right and Ryan was asked, he would be allowed to go play in the WJC's! I fully expect him to be there.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Even though Fritche has not been receiving a ton of ice time he is establishing himself as a bonafide player so I do not expect that he will be released.

As for Brown, it all depends on the injury situation in L.A.

jesseelder

May 3, 2002
Visit site
From what I read on some of the local newspapers in Southern California, unless LA has massive injury problems, Dave Taylor is looking to send D. Brown to the WJCs.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Kesler looked like a lock for the US team, but he may not be going back to the AHL! He is going to make it hard for the Canucks to send him down anyways. He scored his first NHL goal tonight and now has:

4gp 1g 1a 2p +2 and he's been playing nearly 14 minutes a game...

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Reign Nateo said:
Kesler looked like a lock for the US team, but he may not be going back to the AHL! He is going to make it hard for the Canucks to send him down anyways. He scored his first NHL goal tonight and now has:

4gp 1g 1a 2p +2 and he's been playing nearly 14 minutes a game...

I think the Canucks will let him go regardless if that is Kesler's choice to do so. Very rarely will the nucks restrict a player from playing in a national tournament. Burke and company have utmost respect for the junior hockey program and I believe they would think it would be a good experience for him to be a part of.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Story about Fritsche and the WJC in the daily rag today. Story said the decision is up to Fritsche to go, MacLean won't stop him. Fritsche has mixed emotions because while he does want to go play for his country, (he wants a role with some importance), he also loves playing the NHL and doesn't want to miss anytime. I guessing he'll make his decision within a week.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Kesler: I think he would like to go and Burke definetely would like him to go, so I expect him to be there.

Brown: If Palffy's back before camps start, he may go. If not, it's up in the air. Probably not though.

Fritsche: Yeah, I think he'll be there. He isn't making that much of an impact, though is playing well.

These guys, if they go, might be more fired up after the WJC, and ready to do better in the NHL, once they return. Or they'll take a while re-adjusting to the NHL.

Del Griffith

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Sir Ozzie X said:
Story about Fritsche and the WJC in the daily rag today. Story said the decision is up to Fritsche to go, MacLean won't stop him. Fritsche has mixed emotions because while he does want to go play for his country, (he wants a role with some importance), he also loves playing the NHL and doesn't want to miss anytime. I guessing he'll make his decision within a week.

Actually, Ozzie, Maclean said he would ENCOURAGE Fritsche to go. As in, it would be good for him long term, an experience not to miss, etc, etc. That's what I like about Dougie - always looking out for his youngsters (what's best for them down the road, as opposed to the here and now)

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
In my opinion it is very good for teams to let their youngsters go. I mean this is a highly competitive tournament where they will dominate and their confidence will go through the roof. Guys like Staal, Kesler, Fritshe, Brown, Burns, etc. should all go. They are not integeral parts of their teams and deserve a chance to play big roles in a competitive tournament. It would do nothing but help.

Kinger1

Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
Fritsche also commented on the rocky relationship between him and the US program as a result of his playing in Sarnia. Not sure what to think of that since Brown, O'Sullivan, etc. also went the CHL route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->