Speculation: Will Eric Staal be a Hurricane next season?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Here's a shameless plug for an article I wrote about moves I'd make prior to or at the TDL. I'd be interested in what you think.

The article can be found here.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Another thing is you don't have to look at just 1 C's available via UFA. Take the money from Staal, Ward, Gerbe, Liles, and go out and sign a couple guys like Ladd, Eriksson, Versteeg, Hudler, etc... Yeah, I know the Canes haven't done well in in free agency, but in fairness, they haven't had this much money to work with in a while either.

For example:

Eriksson/Ladd-Rask-Lindholm
Versteeg-Staal-Nestrasil
Skinner-Aho/Helm/Hudler-PDG
Nordstrom - McClement -Nash/McGinn/Malone/some AHL guy

Yeah, not all of those will happen by any means and I just did that off the top of my head so there wasn't a lot of thought going into it, but my point being that there are other options out there than just signing Eric or overpaying for some other 1C.

Without a doubt you are correct, but unless we think Victor or Elias can handle the duties (Victor maybe, Elias, don't think so yet) of a #1 C you still need that guy.

That said, I'd be all over both Ladd and Eriksson. I'd also consider resigning Versteeg. I also would not be surprised to see Sebastian Aho here next October.

I could see David Perron as a reclamation project. A short term deal for PA Parenteau might be something to look at. And obviously if we could get in on Okposo, that would be big. Might even see if there's anything the Jamie McGinn could bring to the table.

However, I'd be more inclined to hope for a line of:

Andrew Ladd/Eric Staal/Elias Lindholm or Sebastian Aho

That would be a thing of beauty IMO.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
One thing that might be interesting, is if the Islanders want Staal. They've got some interesting prospects and players that could come back the other way. Could definitely imagine a big ole EA Sports style mega deal with all the expiring contracts, demanded trades, goalie situations, etc...

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
I need a 'undecided' vote. Eric is actually one I have no freakin clue what is going to happen with him.

All these articles coming out recently is just speculation on what the journalist thinks. RF is not leaking anything in regards to this. All we know for sure is that RF has touched base with Curran/Staal and no contract talks have taken place. Staal has said much the same, in contact, but no contract talks.

RF did say they are to start negotiating/getting serious end of Jan. This one has been too close to the chest of these two and neither side is leaking anything.

Edit: I do think the team is better off with Staal in the short term until one of the younger centers can take the reigns as the #1C. Without him there is a hole to fill, which won't be filled in free agency. And to get one via trade, we will have to give a high asset up. Do we want to do that?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
RF did say they are to start negotiating/getting serious end of Jan. This one has been too close to the chest of these two and neither side is leaking anything.

Did he say "negotiating/getting serious", or was that your interpretation (which could be right). The only thing I heard him say is "we said we'd talk again at the end of January, which I took more as "let's see where we stand" and not enter serious negotiations.

"We touched base last month and agreed to touch base towards the end of this month to see where things were," Francis said.

Echoed Curran on Sunday: "We've had a number of meetings and telephone conversations since last summer, but we've never really set a critical timetable. The last time we talked, Ron suggested he'd prefer we wait until some time toward the end of January when he hoped to be in a better position to have a more meaningful discussion."

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Did he say "negotiating/getting serious", or was that your interpretation (which could be right). The only thing I heard him say is "we said we'd talk again at the end of January, which I took more as "let's see where we stand" and not enter serious negotiations.

He was on SiriusXM earlier this morning. He just said that he's been in contact with Curran/Staal throughout the season and they will get deep into talks end of this month. He also said that Staal has handled this as a true professional.

From my take, they (Francis, Curran, and Staal) have touch based a few times, but no talk of salary wants have been communicated. It sounded like end of January is when Francis will find out from Curran what Staal wants and see if it's in Francis' wheelhouse or if they are far away.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
He was on SiriusXM earlier this morning. He just said that he's been in contact with Curran/Staal throughout the season and they will get deep into talks end of this month. He also said that Staal has handled this as a true professional.

From my take, they (Francis, Curran, and Staal) have touch based a few times, but no talk of salary wants have been communicated. It sounded like end of January is when Francis will find out from Curran what Staal wants and see if it's in Francis' wheelhouse or if they are far away.

I do not believe that they haven't exchanged ballpark figures/expectations. The devil is in the detail (actual term, NMC, etc.), but there's no way that Eric doesn't know what the team is thinking and no way the team doesn't know what Eric is expecting. It just doesn't happen that way. Nobody benefits from either side getting surprised.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

BBA, a little off topic, but what kind of money do you think Andrew Ladd signs for?

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I liked kopitars contract less money later on.... If Eric wants big money then he can go elsewhere.. But if he want say 6 million for two years then maybe 4 million for two more.. Then I can see him back here.....

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I liked kopitars contract less money later on.... If Eric wants big money then he can go elsewhere.. But if he want say 6 million for two years then maybe 4 million for two more.. Then I can see him back here.....

Your valuations on Staal and Ward are pretty silly.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
If this is the best Staal can muster in a contract year I wouldn't offer him more than 2 yrs 5.5 mil.

For thought last off season prices were a lot lower with how many teams are cap strapped I think we can fill out our forward core with some good vets.

This may be a bit controversial, I think Steeger has looked as good as Staal this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->