Will Dion Phaneuf join the Flames for the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
His Red Deer Rebels could be eliminated tomorrow night and therefore making Mr. Phaneuf available to the Flames. Is there any chance of him playing in a playoff game?? Would he be a liability?

What are the chances of Phaneuf playing for Team Canada at next year's World Juniors? Is there any chance he won't make the big club next season?

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Well, he got OWNED by Ryan Getzlaff on a Hitmen goal last night. Really looked like a goat.

He's also pointless so far in the playoffs as well.

He has a fair ways to go in his development if you ask me.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Why test out a kid that age in the playoffs?

Too big of a stage to be making tryouts on.
I really doubt it, but I would expect him to be the 7th D-man at the start of the year in Calgary next year. I really like the sounds of a Lydman-Phaneuf pairing :yo:

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Maybe not the playoffs, but if Red Deer is knocked out and it's clear by Friday that the Flames aren't moving from that #6 spot, it'd make sense to give him the last couple of regular season games and rest one of the top six.

Phanuthier*

Bicycle Repairman said:
Well, he got OWNED by Ryan Getzlaff on a Hitmen goal last night. Really looked like a goat.

Sounds like a bust to me!!! :banghead:

In response to HBW, Iginla made his debut in the playoffs.

And in respose to the origanal, no I don't think he will, because Sutter will likely want to try signing him under the new CBA rules, if that is how they propose it. (Yes yes I know he was drafted under the current CBA, but who knows?)

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
kruezer said:
I really doubt it, but I would expect him to be the 7th D-man at the start of the year in Calgary next year. I really like the sounds of a Lydman-Phaneuf pairing :yo:

He'd be better served as a top D-man in the AHL logging tons of minutes against better competition than he sees now, instead of sitting as a 7th D-man, IMHO.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Splatman Phanutier said:
Sounds like a bust to me!!! :banghead:

In response to HBW, Iginla made his debut in the playoffs.

And in respose to the origanal, no I don't think he will, because Sutter will likely want to try signing him under the new CBA rules, if that is how they propose it. (Yes yes I know he was drafted under the current CBA, but who knows?)

Did I say he was a bust?

I only said he needs some development. You can't rush defensemen through the fast-track route as a rule. They take time. Second only to goaltenders in the overall scheme of things.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
kruezer said:
I really doubt it, but I would expect him to be the 7th D-man at the start of the year in Calgary next year.

I'd be surprised. Considering that a) Sutter will want him playing big minutes wherever the Flames farm happens to be next season, and b) He'll be earning north of $1 million per...I doubt Sutter wants him playing a fringe role.

However, I think by the end of next season he could have the 4th/5th spot in Calgary, especially if Sutter moves one of Gauthier or Lydman (At this point, I'd bet on Lydman, as good as he has been, since his salary is jumping up quite a bit).

I'd look for a Phaneuf/Warrener pairing before Phaneuf/Lydman, simply because the former would do a lot better job of mentoring, covering for his mistakes, etc.

Phanuthier*

Bicycle Repairman said:
You did quote me and follow up with the "Bust" bomb in the first sentence of your reply, so yes, it does seem you were referring to me.
Once again, did I say you said he was a bust?

Doesn't appear so.

Harry

Mar 13, 2004
Victoria BC
Bicycle Repairman said:
Well you did belabour an extrapolated point, hence my response.

Getting back to hockey issues, it seems we are in agreement over the deportment of one young Mr. Phaneuf. No?

Now Ladies, try to get along.

By the way bicycle repairman...Nice photo. The picture that keeps on giving.

st_roland

Splatman Phanutier said:
Once again, did I say you said he was a bust?

No, but you strongly implied it. All this immature posturing is really ridiculous.

VanCanuck

May 9, 2003
Vancouver, BC
HabLover said:
His Red Deer Rebels could be eliminated tomorrow night and therefore making Mr. Phaneuf available to the Flames. Is there any chance of him playing in a playoff game?? Would he be a liability?

What are the chances of Phaneuf playing for Team Canada at next year's World Juniors? Is there any chance he won't make the big club next season?

Hope so :innocent:

ForeignFlame

Jun 14, 2002
Too far from the Sad
Visit site
I don't think for one second that Sutter would try to sign Phaneuf for the playoffs. Although I obviously don't know what Sutter is thinking, it wouldn't really make much sense to put a rookie defenseman out on the ice for the playoffs when the Flames defense has performed well all season long.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I don't think Phaneuf will start with the Flames either though. I would think that with a guy who is not, in my opinion, NHL ready yet, it makes more sense for him to play 25 minutes a game in the AHL than 25 minutes a game in junior or 10 minutes a game in the NHL.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:

He looked somewhat tired to me. That doesn't really speak at all to his development however. Can't judge too much on one game as you appear to be doing. You don't appear to be taking into account his season and his performance in the World Juniors. Very shortsighted and judgemental view you've chosen to take on this subject.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Mountie said:
I don't think Phaneuf will start with the Flames either though. I would think that with a guy who is not, in my opinion, NHL ready yet, it makes more sense for him to play 25 minutes a game in the AHL than 25 minutes a game in junior or 10 minutes a game in the NHL.

Phaneuf is not eligible for the AHL next season. If you want him in the AHL you are talking two years down the line. I don't see that happening.

Much like Regehr and Morris I tend to think he'll step in sooner rather than later. I think Sutter may look at moving Gauthier during the offseason to create room for players like Phaneuf and Commodore.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Did I say he was a bust?

I only said he needs some development. You can't rush defensemen through the fast-track route as a rule. They take time. Second only to goaltenders in the overall scheme of things.

As a rule? You can't use rules for these things as each prospect is a different case. Jay Bo, Klesla and Pitkanen don't seemed to be ruined by stepping in before age 20. And if you want some Flames examples you need look no further than Regehr and Morris who both stepped in at age 19. Both of them seem to have turned out quite well.

Your average defensemen probably does step in later than your average forward, I would agree with you there. However Phaneuf is FAR from being an average defensemen prospect. Prospects of his standing often step in earlier than your average player.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Phaneuf is not eligible for the AHL next season. If you want him in the AHL you are talking two years down the line. I don't see that happening.

Much like Regehr and Morris I tend to think he'll step in sooner rather than later. I think Sutter may look at moving Gauthier during the offseason to create room for players like Phaneuf and Commodore.
I agree for sure, I doubt he goes back to the Dub, but he can't play in the A so that leaves him in the NHL, I could see Ference or Gauthier getting traded in the offseason, or even Lydman in an extreme case. My guess is one of this years top six is traded and Phaneuf and Commodore make the team next year, that leaves Montador, Wallin and Ramholt (who can play in the A next year I believe) to play in Lowell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad