Speculation: Will Cam Ward be a Hurricane next season.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Yes. They will trade Lack and use Ward in the backup roll (at a discount). I don't think Eddie is worth the price of his contract down the road. I think they may try to make a deal at the DL or draft for a true #1. Am I dreaming?

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I think Lack is why we won't see Ward back. They need a solid starting goaltender, since Lack is establishing himself as not that. And while I think Cam is not nearly as bad as many do, I think you can do, or at least should try to do better. Not sure how, but there are so many goalies floating around, it seems like they can bring someone else in at a reasonable price, and get similar results at worst.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
He's played himself into negative value (numbers wise), so it's not like he'll bring back any sort of decent return. He also isn't going to strike it rich in FA, I wouldn't think he'll get more than a $3M 2yr deal, similar to Lack. I'm not sure how many goalies out there in that price range would be much of an improvement.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes have 35 games left in the season, and 17 of them are before the trade deadline. Until the Canes are truly out of it, I see the mix of starts remaining as it is today, (Ward getting 2 starts for every 1 that Lack gets). Once it's clear the Canes are out of it, I can then see Lack getting the lion share of the starts to show if he can be a starter next year or not.

I agree with Wally though, Lack hasn't shown he can take the reigns yet and unless he does, it will be very hard to bring Ward back and go with "more of the same" next year.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Canes have 35 games left in the season, and 17 of them are before the trade deadline. Until the Canes are truly out of it, I see the mix of starts remaining as it is today, (Ward getting 2 starts for every 1 that Lack gets). Once it's clear the Canes are out of it, I can then see Lack getting the lion share of the starts to show if he can be a starter next year or not.

I agree with Wally though, Lack hasn't shown he can take the reigns yet and unless he does, it will be very hard to bring Ward back and go with "more of the same" next year.

Knowing what you now today, would you be willing to have a goaltending tandem of:

Eddie Lack
Unknown quantity

I think Lack is better than he's shown and needs both more games and to figure out to work with a goaltending coach to fix those tendencies that get him in trouble...maybe not Marcoux but somebody. He's quick and has great reflexes. There's no reason his numbers cannot and should not improve.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Knowing what you now today, would you be willing to have a goaltending tandem of:

Eddie Lack
Unknown quantity

That's not the only option though. There will be some more known quantities on the market this offseason. Just because Ward is "known", doesn't mean it's the best option.

I think Lack is better than he's shown and needs both more games and to figure out to work with a goaltending coach to fix those tendencies that get him in trouble...maybe not Marcoux but somebody. He's quick and has great reflexes. There's no reason his numbers cannot and should not improve.

If the Canes fall out of the race, he should get a chance to show that. If they stay in it, Ward will get more starts and he won't get the chance. I don't think the Canes view Ward as a viable starter next year, but I think they would easily take him back at a reduced salary as a back-up. If Lack can't show that he's starter material, it would leave them in the position of either getting rid of Lack or not signing Ward IMO.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
That's not the only option though. There will be some more known quantities on the market this offseason. Just because Ward is "known", doesn't mean it's the best option.

If the Canes fall out of the race, he should get a chance to show that. If they stay in it, Ward will get more starts and he won't get the chance. I don't think the Canes view Ward as a viable starter next year, but I think they would easily take him back at a reduced salary as a back-up. If Lack can't show that he's starter material, it would leave them in the position of either getting rid of Lack or not signing Ward IMO.

I would urge you to take a look at the free agent goalie pool....even the goalies that might be available via trade. It ain't a pretty sight. There's a handful of guys with numbers like Ward's lifetime numbers (Hutton, Raanta, Ramo, etc.) and there's the ever available James Reimer. And that's it. Maybe there's a trade to be had. My point about Ward is that since December he's been serviceable. Not great, but not horrible either. If Lack's not the better option as the #1, then Ward sort of wins by default.

That said I agree with this 100%. As I said, I think Lack's better than he's shown. I think Ward, if resigned probably comes back for something around Lack money and is the back up. Of course, there is the fantasy that Altshuller's numbers are for real and that he could win a job right out of camp.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I would urge you to take a look at the free agent goalie pool....even the goalies that might be available via trade. It ain't a pretty sight.

I would urge you to take a look at Cam Ward's numbers the past 4 seasons. It ain't a pretty sight. :laugh: It's not like getting one of the UFA/RFA/Trade guys is going to be that much worse than Ward.

Honestly, in the end I think Ward will probably be re-signed at a much lower value. Unlike Staal, he won't have as much of a market value out there so the Canes will be able to afford him. That's what I think may happen, but not necessarily what I want to happen. Unless Lack shows something more over the rest of this season, I surely don't want to go into next season with a Ward/Lack tandem.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
I say yes. Since December his stats are like at the top of the league. Lack has yet to prove he can be a #1 guy here. I think they would perfer to have the goalies in Charlotte get another 2-3 years before coming in.

I can see them signing him at a good discount (especially since he's been vocal about wanting to stay) and start to transition him into a back-up role and get Lack more starts in hopes he can become the #1.

So yes, I say a 2 year deal.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I have a feeling he will, though, if he is, I raelly hope that it's at substantially less than 6.3m.

I will say though that I am not so sure I like this whole 1a//1b thing. If we think Läck can be the starter, then let him be the starter and go find someone who is a definite back up.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
I have a feeling he will, though, if he is, I raelly hope that it's at substantially less than 6.3m.

I will say though that I am not so sure I like this whole 1a//1b thing. If we think Läck can be the starter, then let him be the starter and go find someone who is a definite back up.

What kind of $$$ were you thinking for Ward, if Carolina resigns him?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I don't think there would be much of a market for Ward. At most I would offer him 1 yr 2 mil.

I don't have access to the UFA goalie list right now which may adjust my opinion.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd rather not re-sign him and find a suitable replacement to pair with Lack via trade if possible. If that isn't in the cards, I'd take a year or two at not much more than Lack.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I say yes. Since December his stats are like at the top of the league. Lack has yet to prove he can be a #1 guy here. I think they would perfer to have the goalies in Charlotte get another 2-3 years before coming in.

I can see them signing him at a good discount (especially since he's been vocal about wanting to stay) and start to transition him into a back-up role and get Lack more starts in hopes he can become the #1.

So yes, I say a 2 year deal.

Since December started Ward is 7-4-2, has a GAA of 2.15, and a SV% of .913. Not bad but not great by any stretch. Most experts put more credence in SV% as opposed to GAA. That's the one that goalies can actually truly influence. A good defense has a pretty dramatic impact on GAA.

So Ward is at the low middle range. What he's always been. As a backup it would be fine.

Edit: The thing is he's not going to sign for less than Eddie unless GMRF makes it clear that he starts the year as the backup.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I would give Ward like 3 years x 4m. He has his shortcomings, but he's better than what we could likely replace him with.

Eddie got $2.75 million per year for two years. I'd give Ward anywhere from $2.75 - $3.25 million per year for the same term, 2 years.

I think if Altshuller keeps up his trend then he'll be up here mid year next year or at the very least starting the 2017-18 season.

By the way, in my opinion, the Hurricanes grossly mismanaged Altshuller's contract. He's 21 years old with a late July birthday. Had he been left with Oshawa, he would not have burned a professional contract year. If I understand the CBA and Restricted Free Agency correctly, Daniel has 2 more years on his ELC counting this year. He'll be 22 when he reaches RFP status. After that he'll have 4 more years until he becomes a UFA. Had he been left with the Generals one more year, he would have a) received significantly more ice time, and b) had one more year of RFA status. While an extra year of team control might now seem like much, in the age of the salary cap it can be huge. Not to mention his first professional year of only seeing the ice in Florida for 14 games could have stunted his development. We're lucky he's so focused and resilient.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
If wardo would take 2 million for 2-3 years I would bring him back. Any more than that $$ get someone else.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad