Will Butcher off to a hot start

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I thought he had a pretty strong game on both ends tonight. Great play on that 2 on 1.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I will say that Butcher's secondary assists are things of beauty and exactly why we credit secondary assists in this game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I will say that Butcher's secondary assists are things of beauty and exactly why we credit secondary assists in this game.
His assist today was a great move and transition, yet because it's a secondary assist it apparently isn't valuable.

Reactions: Devils090

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
$
This is beauitufl.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Only other defencemen in NHL history with 9 points in their first 6 games are Hall of Famers Phil Housley and Harry Cameron.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Hmm. He does resemble a young Harry Cameron a little when you watch him.

Excellent free agent signing, it's hard to believe he didn't want to play in Denver anymore.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I have been more impressed with his defensive play. He has been solid in his own zone. Was not expecting that.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
People want to talk about him being sheltered.... but that +6 on his stat line is a good indicator of his overall play.... You don't get a plus for a goal on a power play.

Reactions: HBK27

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
People want to talk about him being sheltered.... but that +6 on his stat line is a good indicator of his overall play.... You don't get a plus for a goal on a power play.
Sheltered also means that he is on the ice against the worst guys of the other team. Not sure if that's true or not, but it isn't exclusively referring to the pp.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Sheltered also means that he is on the ice against the worst guys of the other team. Not sure if that's true or not, but it isn't exclusively referring to the pp.
He has definitely been sheltered, but he's made the most of his opportunities. And he's looked much better than billed defensively. For all his "faults" he's been excellent. People keep forgetting that he wasn't even a lock to make the team and many Devils fans thought he might be better off in the AHL for a season.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Sheltered for sure, as most NHL dmen are for the first few years in the league. He's looked incredible either way. Obviously he will hit some bumps in the road as the season progresses, but right now it is looking like a blessing the Devs didn't get Shattenkirk. I advocated for Shattenkirk for 2 years and he's looked fine for the Rangers, but if the Devils get him then I doubt they get Butcher (or he is at the very least given less of an opportunity). For fun, vs Shattenkirk Butcher is a worse skater, but a better defender even if that isn't saying much.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Color me shocked he is doing so well. Any and every scout of note said he wouldn't transition well to the NHL and would be a bottom pairing guy at best. Shows that a guy given a chance can prove anyone wrong.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
sheltered or not, he was calm and poised in the lightning game. truly rare in rookies, even when they're out of the NCAA.

this one will probably sting the Avs for a long time.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Got to admire how your tanking has been going. Laughable organization with how you have done things, luckily Bettman loves that Toronto is coming back to the top. Imagine if there was a salary cap for of ice personnel!!

Back to butcher, love what he is doing when you consider he stepped right in and delivered on the PP and 5 vs 5. You can talk all you want about ice time and points but remember how many years it took Morgan Rielly to just look decent in the NHL!!

Sorry when did Toronto tank? You mean when they led the league in injuries and finished with more points than they did the prveious year?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Are you really going to sit there and say that toronto didn't tank?

ahah....

ahahaha.

ahahahahahahahaaah

Everyone knew they were a bad team. Somehow that = tanking? No team can just be bad? Because they didn't rush their prospects that is tanking? Edmonton finished with 1 more point, were they tanking with McDavid.

Yes I am going to say that, because they were bad. They didn't sell every good player like the Sabres. Their only good players were injured.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Everyone knew they were a bad team. Somehow that = tanking? No team can just be bad? Because they didn't rush their prospects that is tanking? Edmonton finished with 1 more point, were they tanking with McDavid.

Yes I am going to say that, because they were bad. They didn't sell every good player like the Sabres. Their only good players were injured.

I'll let you keep your version of history.

you really think that leafs Management put THE BEST TEAM POSSIBLE on the ice those years leading up to matthews?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'll let you keep your version of history.

you really think that leafs Management put THE BEST TEAM POSSIBLE on the ice those years leading up to matthews?
No they just traded away good players and would run with bad vets instead of good prospects cause they were trying to win :P

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
If you're gonna tank, by all means tank if you feel you need to

But don't go around calling your tank an airplane ffs. call it what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad