Prospect Info: Will Borgen (2015, 92nd) – '17-18: Signed ELC, Reporting To Rochester

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
I hope he doesn't get to play at all. Better chance he signs here instead of bolting for free agency with a good Olympic tournament performance under his belt.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I hope he doesn't get to play at all. Better chance he signs here instead of bolting for free agency with a good Olympic tournament performance under his belt.
What difference would that make? If he wanted to stay until he became a UFA teams would already make him offers. Nothing would change just because he played in an Olympic game.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Hopefully he’s at least having a good time in the Olympic Village, because he’s not gaining any valuable experience that would help his development.

Well he's totally missing out at The Village if he's not having fun!

Did you read how many condoms they handed out to the US athletes?

Talk about the benefits of a good shot blocker......

:towel:

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
What difference would that make? If he wanted to stay until he became a UFA teams would already make him offers. Nothing would change just because he played in an Olympic game.

if he played well and really turned heads, i'm saying

Deleted member 27798

I could see the scratches for the whole tournament being a couple of 27 year old journeymen(like half of the USA roster), but what's the point of naming a college kid to the team, and then not playing him at all. Clearly the HC and the GM aren't on the same page.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
if he played well and really turned heads, i'm saying
I get that, but he is already on radars as a player who has outperformed his draft position. He was selected to the Olympic team. He's played the WJC. If he wanted to go the UFA route he'd already have many suitors as a free, legit NHL defenseman prospect. No sense in worrying about him raising his profile, rather worry whether he wants to stay in college and field offers.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
I could see the scratches for the whole tournament being a couple of 27 year old journeymen(like half of the USA roster), but what's the point of naming a college kid to the team, and then not playing him at all. Clearly the HC and the GM aren't on the same page.
Meanwhile, his college team has a chance to clinch a conference title on Saturday night. There's a good chance that instead of being there to help them and to celebrate, he'll be watching from the press box in Pyongchang. What a colossal waste.

Tony Granato should be ashamed of himself. Play the kid or send him home.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Meanwhile, his college team has a chance to clinch a conference title on Saturday night. There's a good chance that instead of being there to help them and to celebrate, he'll be watching from the press box in Pyongchang. What a colossal waste.

Tony Granato should be ashamed of himself. Play the kid or send him home.

Or he's just saving him for later in the tourement like Bombay did the Julie the Cat. Look how great that turned out for Team USA.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Not a shocker - he is scratched again - for the fifth time.
Won't play tonight in the United States Quarterfinal game vs Czech Republic.
10:10 pm ET face-off - TV-CNBC - Radio-WGR 550 AM. Go United States!

Last edited:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
If I were in Borgen's shoes I would be wondering why I gave up what I did go. To at least dress for a shift--probably his only chance to ever be in the Olympics-would have made it worthwhile. To sit with that group of D is pretty demeaning.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
St. Cloud State men's hockey defenseman Will Borgen was selected to play for the United States at the 2018 Winter Olympic games. However, in four games, Borgen has yet to see the ice.

SCSU head coach Bob Motzko said on AM 1390 Tuesday that there was no understanding that Borgen would be in PyeongChang as a depth player.

"I couldn't be more disappointed with the way that it has played out," Motzko said. "I didn't think that was the case. I sure don't know the details behind how it has played out."

"When you see that the college kids have been their best players, and he is in the same caliber as those college players, I am somewhat shocked that it's played out this way," Motzko said.
"I hope he's enjoyed his experience, I know his family is over there and I know that they have to be very disappointed from that standpoint," Motzko said. "We can't wait to get him back over here because we know what he means to our program."

Motzko Disappointed With Borgen Benching

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Hey, if I could go as an alternate and be part of an Olympics and never saw the field, I would be disappointed but I would go every single time. What an experience.
Yeah, I'm mostly confused from the US's perspective. Why choose to bring him if you aren't actually planning on playing him at all. Surely there must be some other American defenseman out there somewhere that they'd be willing to let play.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
......OR he uses this as motivation. Gets to the Sabres and lights it up and leave TG looking like a fool...

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Skilled/highly praised defenseman leaves his country to go play overseas only to end up sitting in the stands while the coach questionably plays the older/less skilled defenseman over him for seemingly no reason.

Hmmmm, sounds like a certain Russian that we know of...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Back in the Huskies lineup tonight. Funny to see Terry and him already back and playing after the dud that was the Olympic team.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yeah, I'm mostly confused from the US's perspective. Why choose to bring him if you aren't actually planning on playing him at all. Surely there must be some other American defenseman out there somewhere that they'd be willing to let play.

The tradition has been when pros have gone is every roster player gets at least one game to play in.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
TV Update - #1 St Cloud State - Borgen - Peterson - play at North Dakota tonight.
The game will be televised LIVE on Fox College Sports Central (Channel 373 if you have Spectrum Cable).
Coverage starts at 8:00 pm ET.

There are replays scheduled for later in the week -
Monday, March 5 - 9:00 pm ET-11:30 pm ET - Fox College Sports South (Channel 373 on Spectrum Cable).
Wednesday, March 7 - 7:30 pm ET-10:00 pm ET - Fox College Sports Central (Channel 374 on Spectrum Cable).
Thursday, March 8 - 4:30 pm ET-7:00 pm ET - Fox College Sports Atlantic (Channel 372 on Spectrum Cable).

However what game of the series (either last nights thrilling OT win by St. Cloud State or tonights game) will be shown in the timeslot/isn't listed. I'm guessing Mondays replay will be Game #1 - Wednesdays replay will be Game #2 - Thursdays replay will be the best game of the two games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad