Will bishop walk next year?

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Bishop is an RFA after this season so why would he be a UFA if the season is cancelled? If they decide to burn a year off peoples contracts I don't see why he still wouldn't be an RFA.

If for whatever reason he becomes a UFA...McDonagh would as well. :naughty:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
"Unrestricted free agency:On July 1 of a given year, the following players become unrestricted free agents, free to sign with any team without compensation to the former team.

1.Group 3 free agents: Players who have reached age 27, or have 7 accrued years of NHL experience, whose contracts have expired

2.Group 6 free agents (must be elected by the player): Players who have reached age 25, who have 3 accrued years of professional experience (that is, beyond junior or collegiate hockey), and whose contracts have expired, but have played less than:
1.80 NHL games played for forwards and defensemen.
2.28 NHL games played for goaltenders.

3.Players whose contracts have been bought out by their former team.

4.Players who do not meet either Group 3 or Group 6 requirements, but who have not been tendered a contract offer by the Monday after the NHL Entry Draft or June 25 (whichever is later). All other players are Group 2 restricted free agents. (See the next section.)

For purposes of the above, an accrued year is generally defined as having been on an NHL roster for 40 games in a season (30 for goaltenders)."

Bishop never played 28 nhl games, but does him signing with Ottawa mean that his contract didn't 'expire'? & he was tendered a contract offer by Monday of the draft or June 25. To me it looks like he's RFA after his contract ends with Ottawa next year, as long as he gets to 28 total nhl games & Ottawa offers a contract renewal.

Edit: Group 6 is a clause to allow 25 year olds+ to walk away from teams who have buried them in the minors & are not likely to come to a contract agreement.

If the season is lost and he chooses to, he can walk.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
My understanding is that bishop will be ufa if the season is canceled (could be wrong on that). Given Lehner, what are the odds he resigns with us?

Really depends on a few factors. I think the above poster is correct in saying that Bishop is now a RFA. He was originally going to be a UFA if he did not play enough NHL games with St. Louis but I think that got addressed when he was traded. Of late Ottawa seems to be getting better at drawing people in and fostering loyalty as well so it depends on what kind of person Bishop is. I think the overall chemistry/age group/fun factor of the team could play a big part in keeping people around.

Doesn't hurt that right now they have given Ben the ability to go down to play in Binghamton during the lockout where he has been given his fair share of starts. The organization could have just said "Nope Lehner is our guy so you can just sit there.". Instead they seem to be trying their best to get both guys into the action.

Under that 2nd Group 6 ranking I do not think it applies to Bishop since he has 3 years of pro experience BUT has played in the NHL for more than the required amount of games and is not yet 27.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Bishop has only played 23 games in the NHL. If he wants to, he can turn down a contract offer and walk as a UFA.

The ball is in his court.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Under that 2nd Group 6 ranking I do not think it applies to Bishop since he has 3 years of pro experience BUT has played in the NHL for more than the required amount of games and is not yet 27.

Bishop has only played 23 NHL games.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Too bad he didn't get 5 more starts last year. :(

Anderson will have 2 more years on his deal, and Lehner is looking pretty sharp. Not sure if Bishop will want to stick around or not. There are easier jobs to be had in the NHL.

Anybody willing to trade Anderson for some assets and go with a Bishop/Lehner tandem?

TheOriginalSilf*

Anybody willing to trade Anderson for some assets and go with a Bishop/Lehner tandem?

No, sir. Not interested in going with such a young/unproven tandem. Anderson has been great for us. Ride him until his contract expires and then re-evaluate. I'd rather see Bishop walk then trade Anderson.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
No, sir. Not interested in going with such a young/unproven tandem. Anderson has been great for us. Ride him until his contract expires and then re-evaluate. I'd rather see Bishop walk then trade Anderson.

Agreed 100%

We don't want to end up like the leafs last year.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

already been addressed, but it can never be emphasized enough, andy is a great goalie. bishop and lehner are unproved. bishop, despite looking great in binghamton, hasn't shown my anything to indicate that he will be better than andy. anderson still has about four good years left in him. bishop is in that age range for goalies where they really should have a tentative hold on a starting position where they just need to prove themselves over a full season, or have shown that they can perform very well in a backup role. bish has nothing really special at the nhl level yet. this was the year where he had to show that he can perform, and with the season either shortened or cancelled, i'm unwilling to move andy, who again, hasn't shown us anything to think he isn't anything but a quality starter. if it comes down to moving andy or letting bish walk, i'm with the silfverbullet, keep andy.

i was always uneasy when bishop started games for ottawa. something about the way he plays i guess just doesn't leave me confident in him.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Leafs goaltending wasn't bad because they were inexperienced, they were bad because they were bad.

Anderson is a below-average starter and if someone would give us assets to get him I'd love that. But that's not realistic, so I imagine Bishop walks to make room for Lehner. Or Sens let him walk, I should say. Really not much else to do if there's no season.

corksens

Jul 19, 2005
Leafs goaltending wasn't bad because they were inexperienced, they were bad because they were bad.

Anderson is a below-average starter and if someone would give us assets to get him I'd love that. But that's not realistic, so I imagine Bishop walks to make room for Lehner. Or Sens let him walk, I should say. Really not much else to do if there's no season.
Anderson has given the Sens .919% goaltending since joining the team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I doubt Murray allows Bishop to walk, I think he will be traded maybe as part of a package for something. I think Anderson starts until Lehner takes the starters job away from him & then Anderson could be the backup to Lehner giving Ottawa a veteran presence in net when needed.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Really regretting that Bishop trade. 2nd rounder in a deep draft for maybe only 10 games.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Anderson has given the Sens .919% goaltending since joining the team.

Yeah, a nice stretch of games when he first got here and then 20th in svs% (only counting starters). He's been good, not great, I'd say.

No reason to trade him away but we could do better and probably will once Lehner gets his chances.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I'd trade Anderson if he can get us a good top 3 DMan and if Lehner continues to be a top 3-5 AHL goalie all year.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Even though i floated the idea, i agree that keeping andy is the best way forward. Guy was lights out in fla and a year or two in Colorado.

If Bishop signs, I'd put the odds of our starter in 3 years at:

Anderson: 50%
Lehner: 35%
Bishop: 15%

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
When I first read the title I thought Bishop suffered a paralyzing injury and I didn't hear about it until now

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

:amazed:

Everyone is entitled to his opinion I guess but that's selling him short for sure... unless the average goalie is Tuukka Rask or Pekka Rinne, then I'd agree

Pretty much all the NHL goalies (starters) are good in today's game, it's just that a few are Elite. Anderson isn't but... to say that he is a "middle of the pack" goalie would be more adequate IMO (good like most of regular N.1 goalies). "Below" average seems a bit unfair to the guy who has been good most of his career and has a career 913 SV% to show for it with a 131-110 winning record, which is more than decent, particulary when you consider that he didn't play for great teams (where goalies tend to have inflated stats)

Personally, I'm confident with Andy in nets... Last year was actually the 1st time I wasn't stressed about our goaltending since Hasek... We had a lot of below average goalies since then : Gerber, Elliott, Leclaire (mostly because of injuries), Auld...

Yeah, a nice stretch of games when he first got here and then 20th in svs% (only counting starters). He's been good, not great, I'd say.

Let's not forget a few factors...

- New ROOKIE coach
- Young inexperienced team overall
- defense struggled for a while
- Team finished 4th in scoring... considering the lack of proven top-6 forwards, they sacrificed some defense to reach that production

Anderson did very well considering what he had in front of him... SV% can't be the sole factor to evaluate a goalie... In that case, Elliott would > NHL, which I seriously doubt.

Really regretting that Bishop trade. 2nd rounder in a deep draft for maybe only 10 games.

Well, a few arguments quickly...

- Without those 10 games, maybe we'd have missed the playoffs (team wasn't confident with Auld in nets and they were fighting for a playoffs spot)
- Who's to say he won't play another game for the Sens?
- Who's to say we won't be able to trade him and get at least a 2nd rounder?
- Who knew there was going to be a lockout... And even then if we knew all along... you don't stop living the present because you're scared about the future.
- The games played in the AHL are also a contribution
- It also pushes Lehner to become better

There's probably more but I'm off to bed!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

I agree with the majority of your posts but I disagree strongly here. Anderson is an above average starter and is in fact underrated. Who are we kidding, anyone who remembers last year remembers that our defense was only good scoring goals. They were horrendous defensively. Every pairing except the first. Remember Phillips, Gonchar and Cowen first half of the year? We couldn't WAIT till Boroweicki made his debut cause we wanted to see some defense from ANYBODY. Lee was our most consistent defender defensively, looooooooooooool. Even towards the second half, those guys improved defensively towards average, combine that with Anderson and boom, we made the playoffs. He does not get enough credit. In the playoffs he played with brilliance, imagine he had NYR defense, series wouldn't have gone to 7 games with his play.

Anderson bailed this team out so much and is the 3rd most important factor that we made the playoffs after Karlsson and Spezza. He won like 3-4 player of the month award for the Senators.

The only and I mean only knock on Anderson's play is arguably his consistency, how he sometimes just gives up on a play or such but he usually answers back with 2-3 enormous momentum changing saves.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I don't think you're wrong, ReginKarlssonLehner. Above average is a stretch but so might below average be. Anderson's best games are so good, but his mistakes are more frequent than I would want them.

That might be some kind of bias from me towards a style of goaltending I'd like more, though. It's tough to argue that he put up good numbers on a tough team to do so this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->