Will Bedard be generational? Based on the following players:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Generational is a weighty descriptor. By definition there has to be a limited amount, even in ‘generations’ with tons of talent.

Kane and Malkin aren’t generational. If you think that’s a slight, consider this: Jagr isnt generational either. And he’s the 2nd highest point-scorer in nhl history. What keeps him from being generational is no flaw on his part, his birthday is just too close to even better players.

The list of generational players I got to see play in my life-time:

Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid

That’s it. Add Hasek if you want to include goalies.

That list obviously excludes a ton of elite, unbelievable, legendary players. But none of them were truly close to ‘once in a generation’.

Frankly, if Bedard ‘only’ makes it to the tier of the Patrick Kanes, Malkins, Mackinnons and Jagrs of the world, Ill be thrilled.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Connor Bedard has nothing on Caitlin Clark.

CC is not only a generational talent, but is actually showing everyone what the definition is.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Saying someone is generational is, to me, basically just saying that a guy is a pretty clear cut first overall choice if you pooled 5-10+ consecutive draft classes together.

So, in my book, Kane was absolutely generational. There's nobody that you take over him after Crosby in 2005 and before McDavid in 2015.

At least as of this second, I think Bedard's hype is already there, as I don't think that there's a guy that gets taken ahead of him after McDavid in 2015. That's already a solid 8+ year period where Bedard is the clear cut prospect.

Now, will Bedard live up to that in the next handful of seasons and throughout his career? Time will tell. But at least hype-wise and from early performances, he's living up to the generational billing.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Saying someone is generational is, to me, basically just saying that a guy is a pretty clear cut first overall choice if you pooled 5-10+ consecutive draft classes together.

So, in my book, Kane was absolutely generational. There's nobody that you take over him after Crosby in 2005 and before McDavid in 2015.

At least as of this second, I think Bedard's hype is already there, as I don't think that there's a guy that gets taken ahead of him after McDavid in 2015. That's already a solid 8+ year period where Bedard is the clear cut prospect.

Now, will Bedard live up to that in the next handful of seasons and throughout his career? Time will tell. But at least hype-wise and from early performances, he's living up to the generational billing.
I don't think Bedard has proven what Matthews has yet.

Matthews had 40 goals as a rookie.

Bedard is on pace for 28 over 82.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Generational is what, a player who only comes along every 10 to 20 years? Never liked the term, and now it is exhaustingly overused. And do you only have one “generational” player in that 10 year period or are there many?

Reactions: Pez68

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Matthews had three times the talent around him his rookie year than Bedard did.
Obviously.

I was expecting 35 goals and 75 pts from Bedard coming into the season. He's right there
in the points pace but I'm surprised that he's well behind the goals pace.

I was going to add that later about the linemates issue.

F86puck

Feb 20, 2020
It is an overused term (generational) but it is one that is tossed around and probably easier to say than "the absolute best for a given period of time." Of course you can have more than one at the same time but it's rare especially if you mean peak years (Gretzky/Lemieux probably had the most overlap of peak years).

Bedard is great, but beyond franchise player I'm not so sure. These last few games have been rather unimpressive for his hype standard, and for some reason, I have great doubts now about him scoring goals. You just get the feeling it's not happening. But yes, I keep saying he is 18.

I do think it's a shame he will likely not get a hat trick as an 18-year old, especially knowing that Carlsson did. Oh well. Still has a chance.

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Bedard’s linemates create no space for him. Defense collapses around him. He’s forced to pass. Higher assists and fewer goals.

Once he gets dangerous linemates the goals will come.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
I don't think Bedard has proven what Matthews has yet.

Matthews had 40 goals as a rookie.

Bedard is on pace for 28 over 82.
Bedard is on pace for 78 points over 82, Matthews had 69.

Matthews rookie season had Leafs go 40-27. He led with 69 points with the next 3 guys at 62,61 and 61

Bedard leads with 58 and the next 3 are 50, 36 and 34 points.

Last edited:

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Bedard is great... But NOT generational w Comps to Gretzky / Mario/ McD / And Crosby

Kane is Better --and NOT in same class as above...

Bedard-- Besides the "Team" around him... 98's Skating is NOT lite enough--in my eyes-- Lacking speed /power... it's very good -but NOT enough ... just my 2 cents

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I think its to early to tell. But the guys you mentioned are 4 of the top 5 in history. if you look at his stats from last night they were off the charts. with a player we picked up as a cap dump and a player who previous best year was 20 something points. some of the things he does at 18 are generational his skating is good but not elite. Im not sure how you can say Kane was better.

Reactions: jls24

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I expect something between Crosby and Kane.
If he falls short of that, not a big deal, certainly still a #1 overall talent.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But he seems to have turned into a better passer than an effective shooter..7 consecutive games with ZERO goals for the kid whose shot was supposed to e "Generational"..where did it disappear to that he no longer beats goalies with esse?

Also hevis Generationakky bad on daceoffs...maybe have to play wing not center.

But whike his generational shot has disappeared he is setting up guys better than expected. STILL the oohs and aws from nice set ups never can equal the oohs and aws of a special shot ...thatvis just tge way it is.. great goal scorers always get more suoerstar adulation than points guysxtiltedcheaviky to assisting..

The anticipation and excitenent in the arena when h shoots is very high ...when he makes a great pass that leads to a score it is more a late reaction of praise as in : oh that was nice.

Thus to be Geberational he mist produce GOAKS off his own stick.

7 straight games with Zero Goals is not helping the cause that he is Generational.

So "where's the beef?" Ie. Cannot keep putting g up goose eggs from hosxshot totals.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Relax folks, Bedard will be fine.

I don't care where he stacks up against his peers in personal accolades/achievements.

Build a team around the kid and let's win some f***ing Cups again.

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
Bedard’s linemates create no space for him. Defense collapses around him. He’s forced to pass. Higher assists and fewer goals.

Once he gets dangerous linemates the goals will come.
This. Defenses are literally shading/cheating towards Bedard. Get the kid some actual legit top 6 talent and the goals will poor in. Even last game at the end when it was 6-5 they still cheated to limit getting the puck to Bedard in decent shooting areas. Teams have basically taken a we are not going to let Bedard beat us approach and will take their chances on stopping the other guys.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
But he seems to have turned into a better passer than an effective shooter..7 consecutive games with ZERO goals for the kid whose shot was supposed to e "Generational"..where did it disappear to that he no longer beats goalies with esse?

Also hevis Generationakky bad on daceoffs...maybe have to play wing not center.

But whike his generational shot has disappeared he is setting up guys better than expected. STILL the oohs and aws from nice set ups never can equal the oohs and aws of a special shot ...thatvis just tge way it is.. great goal scorers always get more suoerstar adulation than points guysxtiltedcheaviky to assisting..

The anticipation and excitenent in the arena when h shoots is very high ...when he makes a great pass that leads to a score it is more a late reaction of praise as in : oh that was nice.

Thus to be Geberational he mist produce GOAKS off his own stick.

7 straight games with Zero Goals is not helping the cause that he is Generational.

So "where's the beef?" Ie. Cannot keep putting g up goose eggs from hosxshot totals.
He is 18 years old, he is in good shape for an 18 year old but he doesn't have the endurance currently to play at the intensity and pace of the show for 82 games against men in their physical prime, also playing with less than adequate linemates to say the least. He hasn't been scoring at a torrid pace because of all these things combined. Once he gets stronger and faster he'll get more ginos. His playmaking is elite he see's the ice so well he is able to make those great passes and has an underrated sauce, once he gets better and more dangerous linemates he won't be as smothered and those lanes will open up naturally cause they have to respect the pass. Also he has magic hands and is able to do otherworldly stuff with the biscuit creating something out of nothing when he has the puck but he does have his rookie moments at times but he is a rookie. The elite skillset is prevalent it just a matter of his game and physical ability maturing.

Reactions: Giovi

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
My definition of generational is best given by examples. In chronological order beginning with the 1970s:

Bobby Orr
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Sidney Crosby
Connor McDavid
Bubble: Nathan MacKinnon (a couple more years like this year and he makes it).

Whether you agree or not with these names, we can all agree these are some of the best of the best. So my main question is: will Bedard reach the level of these 5 or 6 players? I predict he will be outstanding, a first ballot Hall of Famer, maybe a Hart or two and Art Ross or two. But, like Kane, I don't think he will quite reach generational status. Nothing to complain about. Happy to hear other opinions as we play NHL scout/GM. Just keep it civil, it's just an opinion based on seeing him, at age 18, for 59 games.
It's too early to tell with Bedard, as others have likely stated and no I did not read much past the first few posts. What the hawks have going for them is the hardest thing of all, they have an 18 year old that can play with men that has potential to be a generational player. The hawks are loading up with youth and high draft picks, you should start this thread again in 2027/2008 season.

Don't forget about the Multi-generational player In Jaromir Jagr...:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad