Will Any of These Prospects Make Their NHL Club?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I'm asking since I'm from Pittsburgh and don't know much about these guys other than their names and maybe where they were drafted.

Anze Kopitar
Lauri Tukonen
Patrick O'Sullivan
Benoit Pouliot
Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Gilbert Brule
Alexander Radulov
Shea Weber
Brent Krahn
Guillame Letandresse
Marc Staal
Al Montoya
Jiri Tlusty
Braydon Coburn
Jack Johnson and his whole situation
Cam Barker
T.J. Oshiie
David Bolland
Luc Bourdon
Devin Setoguchi

AL-Canadian

Nov 7, 2003
Birmingham, AL
I'm asking since I'm from Pittsburgh and don't know much about these guys other than their names and maybe where they were drafted.

Possible - Anze Kopitar
Possible - Lauri Tukonen
Yes - Patrick O'Sullivan
Doubtful - Benoit Pouliot
Nope - Marc-Antoine Pouliot
100% - Gilbert Brule
Possible - Alexander Radulov
100% - Shea Weber
Nope - Brent Krahn
Doubtful - Guillame Letandresse
Possible - Marc Staal
Nope - Al Montoya
Nope - Jiri Tlusty
Possible - Braydon Coburn
Doubtful - Jack Johnson and his whole situation
Yes - Cam Barker
??? - T.J. Oshiie
Doubtful - David Bolland
Nearly 100% - Luc Bourdon
Doubtful - Devin Setoguchi

These are my thoughts on their readiness. Various levels of 'suredness' (if that's a word??) for these guys.

Last edited:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I agree with everything, except that i thought MA Pouliot had good chances to make the team in Edmonton this year...

Like UB44's ratings as well. One issue is that the Hawks might have some cap issues signing Ruutu if Barker is playing in the NHL because they have to count all of his rookie incentives ($2.5M+) against the cap, so Barker might see very limited action in the NHL this year.

I think that MAP is out of luck in EDM this year (unless there's injuries) because they signed P Sykora and A Mikhov, and MAP will be fighting it out w/ guys like Shremp for a roster spot. Oilers are incredibly deep this year, and I don't think that it would serve MAP well to spend most of his time in the pressbox or getting 8-10 minutes a night.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT

Anze Kopitar
Lauri Tukonen
Patrick O'Sullivan
Patrick is going to for sure or is pretty much guaranteed. Kopitar is easily ready but management has said multiple times they'd like to give him a year in AHL, unless he really impresses at camp giving them no choice (Which I think will happen). Tukonen would be better to have another year in AHL yet its possible (Same goes for Kopitar but if either or both in AHL, they will surely see call ups)

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Won't play because to young with new CBA
Anze Kopitar
Guillame Latendresse
Devin Setoguchi
--might play in NHL anyways but completely disagree with it
Gilbert Brule - Maybe completely disagree to strong in his case.
Marc Staal
Jack Johnson
Luc Bourdon

Should gain a years experience in the AHL
Benoit Pouliot
David Bolland
Cam Barker
Al Montoya - Being number 1 in AHL better for developement at this point.
T.J. Oshiie - stay in college

Good shot at team
Patrick O'Sullivan
Shea Weber
Mike Green
--Another year in AHL won't hurt but could make team
Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Braydon Coburn
Lauri Tukonen
Alexander Radulov - Could play in AHL but might handle the jump.
Wojtek Wolski - Could play in AHL but might handle the jump.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
I agree with everything, except that i thought MA Pouliot had good chances to make the team in Edmonton this year...

Yes, Pouliot is almost a lock to make the Oilers, probably skating as the 4th lne center to start the year. He made big strides in his game down the stretch last season and will be lloked upon to play some solid two-way hockey this year on a regular basis. It'll be tough jumping ahead of Horcoff, Stoll, and Reasoner on the depth chart but I think he's capable of at least taking the 3rd line center spot by the end of next year (and Reasoner has had injury problems in the past so that may work to his advantage).

Anze Kopitar - more seasoning needed.
Lauri Tukonen - more seasoning needed.
Patrick O'Sullivan - almost a lock to make the team and probably be the #2 centerman if he has a good camp.
Benoit Pouliot - no. Minnesota doesn't need that offensive burst now with their signings this summer. They'll look to groom Pouliot some more before testing him in the NHL.
Gilbert Brule - absolutely. He'll probably be one of the focal points on the Jackets' first line, along with Nash, obviously.
Alexander Radulov - I just don't think so. The Predators are pretty deep up front now, especially with the Dumont signing. But he's probably an injury or trade away from making the team.
Shea Weber - absolutely. The guy will be getting top 4 minutes this year. I don't expect huge offensive numbers from him but he'll definitely be playing a lot and probably a lot of big minutes as well.
Brent Krahn - uhhhh, no
Guillame Letandresse - nope. The Habitents are too deep up front. I don't expect to see Latendresse for at least another year and a half
Marc Staal - definitely has a shot. He had a great trainingcamp last year and almost made the squad then. I think the Rangers would probably not want to rush him into a spot as they are better off as a team than they were 3 years ago when Staal probably would have been a lock to make the club.
Al Montoya - he'll have to pray for an injury to hit Weekes and/or Lundqvist
Jiri Tlusty - doubt it
Braydon Coburn - should make the team as a #5 or #6 guy. He's still got a long ways to go in order to reach his top 4 potential but he has the ability. It wouldn't surprise me however if his development was something like Eric Brewer's career, slow and steady.
Jack Johnson - gone back to college last I heard.
Cam Barker - should definitely make the team this year. What kind of impact he'll make is still up in the air. With the excellent seasons Seabrook and Keith had last year and their likelihood to repeat this season the Hawks can take their time with Barker; he shouldn't be doing the trial by fire thing.
T.J. Oshiie - gone back to college
David Bolland - will need some AHL time before he takes the big step to the NHL
Luc Bourdon - he's got a good shot on a questionable Canucks defense

I think that's all of them...

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Anze Kopitar-by mid season

Lauri Tukonen-No

Patrick O'Sullivan-yes

Benoit Pouliot-No

Marc-Antoine Pouliot-Depends on Schremp. If Schremp makes the team, then MAP will most likely be back and forth between the A and NHL.

Gilbert Brule-Yes

Alexander Radulov-Maybe. I'm not totally sure. Most Preds fans say it's a sure bet, but I'm not so sure with Trotz at the helm.

Shea Weber-Yes

Brent Krahn-No

Guillame Letandresse-No

Marc Staal-Probably

Al Montoya-No unless there are injures. It will hurt his development more sitting as a back up and playing 20 games max than it will seeing a lot of time in Hartford

Jiri Tlusty-Possibly. I'm not sure if he will with Maurice's focus on D.

Braydon Coburn-Yes

Jack Johnson-No

Cam Barker-Yes

T.J. Oshiie-No

David Bolland-No

Luc Bourdon-Yes most likely

Devin Setoguchi-I would have said yes before the Bell trade, but now I really think it depends on how that whole DUI situation plays out.

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
Al Montoya won't play unless some serious injuries hit Lundqvist and / or Weekes (knock on wood).

Staal probably won't play either. Rangers have a ton of depth on defense. But if he plays a great camp - then he has a shot. Problem is he can't play in the AHL so it's either the Rangers or the minors...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->