News Article: Will Anisimov Be Traded

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If the going rate it’s $8m then that’s the rate.

This is a speed league now. The Hawks majorly lack speed and the D has been anywhere from meh to terrible. The play of the D is a big part of the failure of the PP

Carlson is an offensive minded D who can run point on PP and will give scoring. He’s on pace for 15 and 60 points.

The d man with the highest goal tally on this current roster is a guy who has only played half the season. The offensive production from the Hawks D and it’s impact on the Pp is pitiful.

The Hawks D corps currently has 14 goals through 63 games. Carlson has 11 all by his lonesome.

You mention a couple of $3-5M guys. Who are those guys? Name them and we can evaluate.

The system and units are the biggest issues with the PP then closely followed by the forwards who sit and watch as Kane stick handles. There is no rotation whatsoever and it kills the PP. D are an issue but until the forwards move the lanes will remain closed.

Q's insistance on D not skating the puck hurts the goal scoring potential for them because it the D far to easy to defend. If you allow the D to skate the puck it makes it much easier for them to jump up into the play as they are already there. This all stems back to the Hawks moving away from 5 man units on the ice to a more 3 f /2 d focused system.

The D are accountable for some but until you take off the restraints they are far to easy to defend.

Or we can look at the current roster. Connor Murphy is a $4.6m salary player. He has a whopping 1 goal and 8 assists this season as been a healthy scratch in over a dozen games.

If that’s what $3-5m buys you, sign me up for 5 or 6 of those guys!!!

Murphy is a 3.85 cap hit. Base salary and Cap hit are different. I am assuming you know that?

Murphy should have never been a healthy scratch and he should not have been playing on his off side. Q's treatment of Murphy has been moronic at best. Anyone with a brain knows this. This is just another situation where Q has mishandled the roster.

Murphy is not perfect by any means but he is a solid #4.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Ah.. remember when Keith scored 15 goals in a season.
Hell. I would take 1.5 goals.

If you include that one that guy waived off, he’s got 1.5 this season. ;).

And remember he’s the guy that scored the GWG in the ‘15 game 6. I haven’t seen him produce a chance like that since.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Hell. I would take 1.5 goals.

If you include that one that guy waived off, he’s got 1.5 this season. ;).

And remember he’s the guy that scored the GWG in the ‘15 game 6. I haven’t seen him produce a chance like that since.

The best part of the GWG of the 15' cup game was it was a partial whiff/knuckler.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
The system and units are the biggest issues with the PP then closely followed by the forwards who sit and watch as Kane stick handles. There is no rotation whatsoever and it kills the PP. D are an issue but until the forwards move the lanes will remain closed.

Q's insistance on D not skating the puck hurts the goal scoring potential for them because it the D far to easy to defend. If you allow the D to skate the puck it makes it much easier for them to jump up into the play as they are already there. This all stems back to the Hawks moving away from 5 man units on the ice to a more 3 f /2 d focused system.

The D are accountable for some but until you take off the restraints they are far to easy to defend.

Murphy is a 3.85 cap hit. Base salary and Cap hit are different. I am assuming you know that?

Murphy should have never been a healthy scratch and he should not have been playing on his off side. Q's treatment of Murphy has been moronic at best. Anyone with a brain knows this. This is just another situation where Q has mishandled the roster.

Murphy is not perfect by any means but he is a solid #4.

Yes I’m aware of the difference between cap hit and salary

The other poster said $3-5m player. I put his salary. Could have put his cap hit. Either way, he’s still in that 3-5m range regardless of which metric you use.

So if $3-5m gets you Connor Murphy and Connor Murphy is a a #4, then we should be content with adding a couple of fours to the roster?

While I’m not happy with the pp system and think at least a dozen other coaches would get a ton more production from this unit - at least getting them into the 19-14 range - I think the talent needs to be considered. The Hawks won’t have a top 10 pp with the D men on this roster.

Their best D man has no business being on the Pp and the dropoff is steep.

With Keith’s decline based on the miles - I like the ‘Ferrrari with 500k miles on it’ analogy - he’s probably a #2. A #2 that cant and shouldn’t play on the PP

I go back to my point - this current D roster has no #1 and a bunch of 4-7s.

But they really should a couple of more #4s who can’t play on the Pp

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
The best part of the GWG of the 15' cup game was it was a partial whiff/knuckler.
But he followed his shot. Every shot we’ve seen him take since then has been from just inside the blue line on the left side.

That first shot may and the subsequent rebound shot and goal may be the last two shots he has taken from the right side of the ice.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Keith is still a #1 but he is not a Norris# 1 who could carry a #6 to a cup.

I agree that Keith should not be on the PP. Part (most) of the reason we are seeing shot not get through is the lack of movement on the PP. This makes the PP simple to defend. It really is that simple and it goes for 5v5 as well. Keith's shot is not much different than any other year.

Forsling was actually a good choice for the PP because he will differentiate his shot type and has a heavy shot.

The PP's issue is the system which includes a lack of movement. Sadly it is that simple.

I think if you added another Murphy this team would be in much better shape next season as Forsling should take the next step (not for sure) and a new coach playing a modern system will also help. Q somehow doesn't realize that the option to skate the puck opens up the stretch pass...

2-5a
42-5b

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
But he followed his shot. Every shot we’ve seen him take since then has been from just inside the blue line on the left side.

That first shot may and the subsequent rebound shot and goal may be the last two shots he has taken from the right side of the ice.

100%. This is driven by the Hawks being simple to defend due to the lack of movement. Point coverage is much tighter and it created too much of a risk to jump up at this point.

The Hawks move so little at this point that the wings coving our D do not even need to drop lower to provide support.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Just Need to look at Teams with good depth and having a guy with a down year. Columbus has lots of good younger D and still prospects that will be good. Carolina has lots of D and still adding to it in the future. Jets could look to get assets for Trouba if he won't want to resign with them that badly.

In the offseason, I think I'd lower the Price for AA a bit as Long as we get a 2nd without any retaining.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

Agreed. The lack of movement by forwards is baffling - especially when you watch other, more successful PP units in the league.

But forward movement or not, this team lacks talent on D. Changing the staff and system should and can improve the unit overall, but I think the max for this unit is to be in that 14-19 ranking. I don't see this as a top 10 pp unit without a couple of things happening including Debrincat moving into that Panarin role of PP magic with Kane, Schmaltz being more aggressive in not only his movement but his desire to shoot and improving the talent on D, not to mention a willingness to get to the front of the net (one thing 15 does well).

Many PP goals are scored in today's NHL by D getting shots through and the goalie being screened. That just isn't happening with this D roster as it exists.

How many short handed opptys have we seen against this team? We see at least one or two a game. I can watch 3 NHL games a nite and perhaps see one in total. Sure, that's spacing, but a lot of it has to do with D not being able to get a shot through - gets blocked, breakout the other way. This has happened to Keith about 20 bajillion times this season.

And let's look at that 'overrated stat' - face offs. How many PP do we see where the Hawks lose the draw, puck gets sent down and the inevitable struggle to enter the zone after a botched drop back pass. Sure, a better PP system and coaching should make that lost face off less costly, but for this team, a lost draw on a PP often results in 30 seconds of that PP killed. 30 seconds with the top unit out. That hurts.

Toews is at 58% - 4th in the league - good. But, we see Toews get tossed what seems like 50% of all offensive zone draws. Substitute a winger who isn't as adept at winning the FO. I can't find stats on the number or percentage he's been tossed (particularly in the offensive zone), but it has to be a very high number and he's got to be leading the league there. The eye test suggests he gets tossed on 50% of his o zone draws. That hurts as the drop off to the substitute winger is so drastic.

Then we go to AA at 45% (ranked 85th in the NHL) and Schmaltz at a paltry 40% ( good for 99th in the NHL). More specifically, on the PP, Toews is 63% - excellent. AA, however is 46% and Schmaltz is 45%. That needs to improve. Coupling a lost face off with the horrible zone entries of the PP is a recipe for failure and helps get you the 29th ranked PP in a league of 31 teams.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Agreed. The lack of movement by forwards is baffling - especially when you watch other, more successful PP units in the league.

But forward movement or not, this team lacks talent on D. Changing the staff and system should and can improve the unit overall, but I think the max for this unit is to be in that 14-19 ranking. I don't see this as a top 10 pp unit without a couple of things happening including Debrincat moving into that Panarin role of PP magic with Kane, Schmaltz being more aggressive in not only his movement but his desire to shoot and improving the talent on D, not to mention a willingness to get to the front of the net (one thing 15 does well).

Many PP goals are scored in today's NHL by D getting shots through and the goalie being screened. That just isn't happening with this D roster as it exists.

How many short handed opptys have we seen against this team? We see at least one or two a game. I can watch 3 NHL games a nite and perhaps see one in total. Sure, that's spacing, but a lot of it has to do with D not being able to get a shot through - gets blocked, breakout the other way. This has happened to Keith about 20 bajillion times this season.

And let's look at that 'overrated stat' - face offs. How many PP do we see where the Hawks lose the draw, puck gets sent down and the inevitable struggle to enter the zone after a botched drop back pass. Sure, a better PP system and coaching should make that lost face off less costly, but for this team, a lost draw on a PP often results in 30 seconds of that PP killed. 30 seconds with the top unit out. That hurts.

Toews is at 58% - 4th in the league - good. But, we see Toews get tossed what seems like 50% of all offensive zone draws. Substitute a winger who isn't as adept at winning the FO. I can't find stats on the number or percentage he's been tossed (particularly in the offensive zone), but it has to be a very high number and he's got to be leading the league there. The eye test suggests he gets tossed on 50% of his o zone draws. That hurts as the drop off to the substitute winger is so drastic.

Then we go to AA at 45% (ranked 85th in the NHL) and Schmaltz at a paltry 40% ( good for 99th in the NHL). More specifically, on the PP, Toews is 63% - excellent. AA, however is 46% and Schmaltz is 45%. That needs to improve. Coupling a lost face off with the horrible zone entries of the PP is a recipe for failure and helps get you the 29th ranked PP in a league of 31 teams.

Oh and since I had time to kill, did some stat searching. When analyzing the numbers for the Hawks PP, it's actually more depressing than it looks.

The Hawks average 4 PP per game - good for second in the league behind Colorado. But let's look at the teams that get the most PP and where they rank:

Col - 236PP - ranked 16. 47 goals scored
Chi - 226 PP - ranked 29. 35G
Cgy - 225 PP - ranked 23. 35G
TB - 223 PP - ranked 3. 54G
WPG - 219 PP - ranked 2. 54G
NSH - 211. ranked 4. 49G
Phi - 209. ranked 10. 44G
STL - 209. ranked 28. 33G
Van - 206. ranked 7. 44G
SJ - 205. ranked 6. 44G
Pitt - 204. ranked 1. 55G

Of those teams only the Hawks and Vancouver are out of the playoffs. STL and COL are both a point out (with STL on a bad run).

So, not only are the Hawks terrible on the PP, it's exacerbated by the fact that they get more PP opptys than almost every other team in the league. Edmonton is ranked dead last in PP %, but they've had 66 - yes 66 - fewer PP opptys than the Hawks.

If the Hawks were able to improve to be dead center - ranked 15th (currently LAK @ 20.2%). 20.2% of the Hawks 226 PP chances would be 46 goals - versus the 35 they have scored. Imagine how many more wins/points this team would have with 11 more PP goals sprinkled throughout 63 games.

And if we look at the player stats - eek. The one that jumped off the page was Kane. He has 3 PP goals. That's it. That puts him at about 150th in the league. By comparison, Laine is leading with 16, then Stamkos with 14 and Malkin with 13. All top 10 PP units.

Then assists. Kane at 14 - tied for 27th. Wheeler leads with 27, Voracek at 26 and Kessel and Sid at 25. All on top 10 units.

Back to the Hawks:

AA has 9 PP goals - very good considering he missed a lot of time and had that 0 for 10 or so when he came back.
Cat with 5, Schmaltz with 4, Kane with 3, Ruuta with 2 and then a bunch with 1, including Toews and Saad.

$17M in cap hit and they have 2 goals between them in 226 PP opptys. Toews adds a whopping 6 assists and Saad zero. In 63 games, Brandon Saad has 1 pp point. That's beyond pathetic.

Then the D - in total, 6 goals and 20A from the D on the PP. When you subtract guys no longer on the roster, that number is 5/15 and two of those goals are from Ruuta.

The verdict? When analyzing the numbers, the team performance of the PP is pathetic. The individual performance is even worse.

These stats alone should mandate a coaching change. The Hawks are literally leaving goals, points and in this instance, a playoff appearance, on the ice with their failure to address this glaring issue.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's funny to me that people just seem to believe that players don't develop ever. They never get better, especially the ones that are like 21-22 years old. Those guys are the player they are and will always be. :shakehead

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Talent on D is an issue but the lack of movement is by far the driving factor in shots not getting through. Seabrook didn't lose his shot this season but he is getting blocked more than ever. It is all movement. This is why I am always talking movement and 5 man units. Movement creates spacing and open passing/shooting lanes far more than talent backing players off.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
It's funny to me that people just seem to believe that players don't develop ever. They never get better, especially the ones that are like 21-22 years old. Those guys are the player they are and will always be. :shakehead
It's not guaranteed, though. We all want El Gato, Hino, etc. to develop and progress from what they are. But they're always a chance they become a Sergei Samsonov.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's not guaranteed, though. We all want El Gato, Hino, etc. to develop and progress from what they are. But they're always a chance they become a Sergei Samsonov.

No, it's not 100% guaranteed. But players who show a ton of talent, usually progress forward in development until they hit a wall at their peak around 21-24. With D, it's usually a little later, more like 22-26. And even then, you can see small development in things like consistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad