Wild sign Matt Foy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Wild GM said:

Well, as a 67's fan, I'm very, very dissapointed. As a Matt Foy fan, I'm thrilled. Most people don't realize he has skills. They just see that Locke was his line-mate and they see where he was drafted and assume he was just leaching off Locke. While it was partially true at the start of the season, as the season wore on, Foy would just dominate, and he scored a lot more individual goals than Locke. Good for Foy, bad for Kilrea.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Dr_Chimera said:
Actually, bad for Locke.

Defenitely. Nobody on the team has natural finishing abilities like Foy had. Somebody's production will explode though, very possibly Jeremy Akeson if his health holds up.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
This is good news, I kind of scratched my head when Foy was quoted this summer as saying he wanted to return for his overage year. Would have made no sense.

Happy to see he made the right decision.

He also had an assist in tonights game

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
I think Locke should be alright without Foy. From the games I saw it seemed a lot more like Foy needed Locke than Locke needed Foy. I guess we'll see this year if Locke can do it without Foy. Should be interesting to see....

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
theo6060 said:
I think Locke should be alright without Foy. From the games I saw it seemed a lot more like Foy needed Locke than Locke needed Foy. I guess we'll see this year if Locke can do it without Foy. Should be interesting to see....

The thing is, Locke's going to be checked tighter now. He's not going to have a big, fast, talented winger to draw checkers away. He's going to be the guy everybody keys on.

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
Hossa said:
The thing is, Locke's going to be checked tighter now. He's not going to have a big, fast, talented winger to draw checkers away. He's going to be the guy everybody keys on.
I couldn't agree more. Foy's natural touch drew a lot of attention, but the reason I think Locke should be alright is because of his creativity. In the OHL East final against the Majors, Locke was being pounded on by bigger players every shift, and he still managed to put up the points.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
theo6060 said:
I couldn't agree more. Foy's natural touch drew a lot of attention, but the reason I think Locke should be alright is because of his creativity. In the OHL East final against the Majors, Locke was being pounded on by bigger players every shift, and he still managed to put up the points.

Defenitely. Locke is creative, and he's smart, and like many of the great natural scorers, he knows how to get open in the scoring areas. He's also not a soft player, and won't back down. He doesn't have the size or speed or strength to fight through checks, but he'll keep fighting. Many of his points come on the PP as well, although he might play the point I believe. He should be fine, just 151 points might be tough to duplicate.

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
Hossa said:
Defenitely. Locke is creative, and he's smart, and like many of the great natural scorers, he knows how to get open in the scoring areas. He's also not a soft player, and won't back down. He doesn't have the size or speed or strength to fight through checks, but he'll keep fighting. Many of his points come on the PP as well, although he might play the point I believe. He should be fine, just 151 points might be tough to duplicate.
That's true. It would be difficult to match 151 points again this year after your linemate is gone, but i think it's a great test for Locke. This should show just how prepared he is to have other team's going after him (and not just partially because of Foy too). Last year I was kind of impressed by Jeremy Akeson. I don't think he can put up the points Foy did, but if he played with Locke then maybe he could have a career year?

A few goal scorers have done well with great passing linemates. Sergei Berezin is one that comes to mind, scoring 37 goals in 2000-01 with Mats. Ever since, he hasn't really been the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad