Michael Russo: Wild Sign Daniel Winnik (1 Year, $660K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Guy can kill penalties in a season that's likely to see more penalties, has decent possession numbers despite rough starts, and has a cap hit 10k above league minimum? Hard to find fault with this deal.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Oh man, I feel very bad for Reilly, if he doesn't make it to being waiver eligible soon. He's going to be seeing a lot of Southern Minnesota and Northern Iowa.

On the plus side, hooray! I really hoped we'd be able to sign Winnik. He deserved more than this, but the market dictates price, and right now the market has no buying power.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah, I have a feeling Reilly or even Eriksson-Ek could be back and forth a little bit especially this month. We have a four day gap in between games 2 and 3 and then a 5 day gap in between games 4 and 5.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Oh man, I feel very bad for Reilly, if he doesn't make it to being waiver eligible soon. He's going to be seeing a lot of Southern Minnesota and Northern Iowa.

On the plus side, hooray! I really hoped we'd be able to sign Winnik. He deserved more than this, but the market dictates price, and right now the market has no buying power.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Stewart waived in the near future. He doesn't fit on the 4th line, given Cullen/Winnik are going to get a defensive role. And he's not good enough for regular 3rd line minutes once Parise comes back.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Yeah, I have a feeling Reilly or even Eriksson-Ek could be back and forth a little bit especially this month. We have a four day gap in between games 2 and 3 and then a 5 day gap in between games 4 and 5.

Or, he could be sent down in name only on a few of those, without actually going to Iowa.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
There is something really messed up about a salary structure that get's Winnik 660k and Foligno almost 5 times that as a worse player.

Reactions: Minnesota

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
There is something really messed up about a salary structure that get's Winnik 660k and Foligno almost 5 times that as a worse player.
Can't lie... This same thought crossed my mind.

I guess an argument can be made that Foligno is younger, thus has room for improvement? It's a stretch, though.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Stewart waived in the near future. He doesn't fit on the 4th line, given Cullen/Winnik are going to get a defensive role. And he's not good enough for regular 3rd line minutes once Parise comes back.
I don't think we will see much more of Parise. I predict he will maybe play 20 games this year, but that back issue is going to end up ending his career way earlier than any of us ever expected.
Stewart isn't a replacement for Parise though, unless he's highly motivated this year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Excellent signing for the team. Winnik is capable of generating way above that salary in terms of on ice impact. Great possession player

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't think we will see much more of Parise. I predict he will maybe play 20 games this year, but that back issue is going to end up ending his career way earlier than any of us ever expected.
Stewart isn't a replacement for Parise though, unless he's highly motivated this year.
Doubt it. He'll play 60 or so games. He just won't be as effective as we'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad