Speculation: Wild may trade a defenseman

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Not really, I'm just guessing that we don't want a contract coming back and couldn't ask for a whole lot more than a 3rd. I don't have any objection to keeping Reilly, either.
If it's not a 2nd at minimum, then it's not worth moving him.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
I am confident Stewart can still play top 6 minutes as a complimentary guy with skill guys. I.e. Tom Wilson but faster and a better scorer.

Galchenyuk for Reilly + Ennis + Stewart. Habs have cap to make it work and get some risks but potential scoring help and shakeup moves.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Galchenyuk has really fallen, eh?
I don't think he has, I think he's worth more on another squad than he is on the Habs. Julien and Bergevin are terrible at managing assets.... they literally lower his value verbally when they talk about him, let alone where they place him.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I am confident Stewart can still play top 6 minutes as a complimentary guy with skill guys. I.e. Tom Wilson but faster and a better scorer.

Galchenyuk for Reilly + Ennis + Stewart. Habs have cap to make it work and get some risks but potential scoring help and shakeup moves.

Oh my god sign me up so fast for this deal! Let's get this done yesterday!

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Even if you got back a D as part of a larger deal?

How about Nelson, Hickey, a 2nd and Gudlevkis (AHL goalie) for Dumba and Svedberg?

That's literally a collection of your shit.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
That's literally a collection of your ****.

A 20+ goal scorer for the past three years, on pace for another 20+ this year is not what you define him as. That would rank him FOURTH in goal scoring on your team currently.

It's one thing to think a trade is not enough value, it's another to ignore easy to check info.

Reactions: IODCPiper

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
A 20+ goal scorer for the past three years, on pace for another 20+ this year is not what you define him as. That would rank him FOURTH in goal scoring on your team currently.

It's one thing to think a trade is not enough value, it's another to ignore easy to check info.

And every Isles fan wants him gone because he's terrible. I don't know if you're an Isles fan or not, but I know how to read forums. You can't lie to me about how bad he's been.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Leafs offer JD Greenway and a mid to late pick for either.

I would do JD Greenway and a 3rd or 4th(which i would presume is a later one), but i have a weird fascination for JD Greenway. Digitalbooya should be along soon to tell us what color underwear he has and what his favorite drink is. I would probably prefer that Reilly goes rather than Olofsson, but at this point i have no idea who will end up being the better Dman. I do think they both will end up having decent or better NHL careers if they stay healthy.

It would be cool to trade him to the Leafs just so they can have a defense pairing of Rielly and Reilly.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would do JD Greenway and a 3rd(which i would presume is a later one), but i have a weird fascination for JD Greenway. Digitalbooya should be along soon to tell us what color underwear he has and what his favorite drink is.

:laugh:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's literally a collection of your ****.
I'd have to disagree. Nelson has his faults, but goal scoring is a thing. Still, if the Wild are going to move Dumba they'll be hunting for bigger game.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Taking into consideration MIN's surplus of LHDs, their tight cap hit, Dubnyk's injury (with somewhat lack of strong depth at that position), and the fact that they are locked at 50 contracts right now.
Also taking into consideration MTL's depth at the G position, their large cap space, and dire need for PMLHDs.

Would a deal like this be of any interest for either team?

MIN:
Rielly ($725,000)
Quincey ($1,250,000)
2018 1st rd pick

MTL:
Lindgren ($700,000)
Mtl's lowest 2nd Rd pick for 2018 (of the 3 they have if we include WSH's)

With MIN most likely making the playoffs and MTL most likely going through a rebuilt, that 1st for 2nd swap for picks would be most likely within the 10-20 players range. The deal gives MIN an extra contract and saves them $1.275M for a later deal at the TDL and it gives MTL better depth at the LHD position.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Milwaukee, which is more Chicago but not exactly another planet from the Twin Cities. I can't see us being willing to pay Montreal's asking price on him though, and we don't really have cap space for him unless we send Ennis the other way.

I think he's from Milwaukee the same way Vince Vaughn is from Minneapolis. He was born there, but he isn't really from there. Certainly calling him a hometown kid would be a stretch. He's not, as they say, "one of us". Also, I agree on him probably costing too much, in reality. I saw the Galchenyuk for Reilly and Stewart post, but I doubt his value is quite that low.

Minny have any interest in getting The Johan back?

I have to imagine it'd at least be worth considering for Fletcher, seeing as our bottom 6 is a bit of a mess, and could use a true center on the 3rd or 4th line (wherever Cullen isn't playing). I don't think they'd pay too much, though, and there would have to be another contract going back Buffalo's way, seeing as the main reason the Wild would move a defender is to free up a contract spot. So, you'd be looking at Reilly+someone else for Larsson+draft pick of some variety. Or, you know, some trade that sends at least one more contract away than we receive back. So, who would the Sabres want to take on in that trade?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Taking into consideration MIN's surplus of LHDs, their tight cap hit, Dubnyk's injury (with somewhat lack of strong depth at that position), and the fact that they are locked at 50 contracts right now.
Also taking into consideration MTL's depth at the G position, their large cap space, and dire need for PMLHDs.

MIN:
Rielly ($725,000)
Quincey ($1,250,000)
2018 1st rd pick

MTL:
Lindgren ($700,000)

With MIN most likely making the playoffs and MTL most likely going through a rebuilt, that 1st for 2nd swap for picks would be most likely within the 10-20 players range. The deal gives MIN an extra contract and saves them $1.275M for a later deal at the TDL and it gives MTL better depth at the LHD position.

Minnesota doesn't need another goalie and why the absolute f*** would we give up our 1st rounder in that deal.

Actually the more I look at this the worse it gets for Minnesota.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

MIN:
Rielly ($725,000)
Quincey ($1,250,000)
2018 1st rd pick

MTL:
Lindgren ($700,000)

Absolutely cannot give up the 1st rounder. Likely making the playoffs isn't enough and we've seen better teams than the current one go through pretty bad skids.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Minnesota doesn't need another goalie and why the absolute **** would we give up our 1st rounder in that deal.

Actually the more I look at this the worse it gets for Minnesota.

Because other than Stalock, Minnesota's goalie depth is pretty dire? I mean, Adam Vay is posting 4+ GAA in the ECHL, Svedberg is a hit or miss at this point at age 28.
(I'm excluding Baribeau here 'cause he's only 18 so many years away from being ready.)

And again, you are "giving up" a 1st in exchange for a pick that, let's face it, would most likely fall within the top 40 range still. I get that going from 22nd to 38th selection is a downgrade, but it's not as significant in such a deep draft class.

Don't forget that this deal opens up a contract and cap space for MIN which is what MIN would be looking to do anyway in departing themselves from Rielly.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Because other than Stalock, Minnesota's goalie depth is pretty dire? I mean, Adam Vay is posting 4+ GAA in the ECHL, Svedberg is a hit or miss at this point at age 28.
(I'm excluding Baribeau here 'cause he's only 18 so many years away from being ready.)

And again, you are "giving up" a 1st in exchange for a pick that, let's face it, would most likely fall within the top 40 range still. I get that going from 22nd to 38th selection is a downgrade, but it's not as significant in such a deep draft class.

Don't forget that this deal opens up a contract and cap space for MIN which is what MIN would be looking to do anyway in departing themselves from Rielly.

There are better ways to open up a contract slot and free up cap space. Ways that we don't lose a first round pick. Your deal is terrible for us.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

It's not so much the contract spot, it's the idea that Reilly or Olofsson would be sitting at the NHL level instead of playing in the AHL level because of waivers.

I don't disagree that some goalie depth would be a good thing. We have no idea what Michalek is, although he's shown flashes at the NCAA and AHL levels.

1st rounder would have to be 100% lottery protected, and I'm not sure one 2nd rounder would be enough.

Edit: further thought, still don't like it.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
There are better ways to open up a contract slot and free up cap space. Ways that we don't lose a first round pick. Your deal is terrible for us.

What about this then, albeit I doubt that bigger deals are likely to take place.

MIN:
Rielly ($725,000)
Quincey ($1,250,000)
Coyle ($3,200,000)

MTL:

Lindgren ($700,000)
Gallagher ($3,750,000)
2018 1st Rd Pick (Unprotected)

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What about this then, albeit I doubt that bigger deals are likely to take place.

MIN:
Rielly ($725,000)
Quincey ($1,250,000)
Coyle ($3,200,000)

MTL:

Lindgren ($700,000)
Gallagher ($3,750,000)
2018 1st Rd Pick (Unprotected)

That's significantly better. Still though, I don't personally like Gallagher and management/coaches love Coyle and his size too much.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
That's significantly better. Still though, I don't personally like Gallagher and management/coaches love Coyle and his size too much.

There's no perfect deal. I'm really looking at cap space going forward for MIN with their core still being young (Coyle's going to get a pretty hefty raise pretty soon too). So having a top 6 winger like Gallagher locked in until 2021 at a cheap price can make it easier on the GM going forward. And I still believe MIN is lacking support in terms of goalie depth, we've all seen what happened to Vegas this year went shit hit the fan.

The value going back gives MTL what they direly need too, a top 6C and a PMLHD.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it's far better for the Wild to just go for a simple deal involving moving either Reilly or Olofsson out. If they can't get what they want in return, then don't do the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->