Speculation: Wild may trade a defenseman

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

Around 37:25 mark, Russo says the Wild may trade one of Mike Reilly or Gustav Olofsson. Russo thinks Reilly would get a bit more.

What kind of return could the Wild possibly get?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Reilly's a 24-year old left-shot defenseman, though he's spent time on the right side this year (because Quincey wouldn't do it). He's a good skater and passer that can be great on the powerplay. He seems ready to step into the NHL full-time, but he's still not a finished product by any means and his play is still pretty erratic. There's potential there, though.

I assume the Wild are just looking for futures. I can't imagine the cost would be super high.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Reilly's a 24-year old left-shot defenseman, though he's spent time on the right side this year (because Quincey wouldn't do it). He's a good skater and passer that can be great on the powerplay. He seems ready to step into the NHL full-time, but he's still not a finished product by any means and his play is still pretty erratic. There's potential there, though.

I assume the Wild are just looking for futures. I can't imagine the cost would be super high.

Worthy enough targets but w/NYR backlogged and waiting to get Graves and Pionk here, not sure they are a match.

My understanding was you relived some of the salary cap pressure since last year, but I think the right deal sees
DeAngelo [2 elc seasons left] + substantial add
for
Dumba

But I'm sure OP quote is reliable and Wild will go there first.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Worthy enough targets but w/NYR backlogged and waiting to get Graves and Pionk here, not sure they are a match.

My understanding was you relived some of the salary cap pressure since last year, but I think the right deal sees
DeAngelo [2 elc seasons left] + substantial add
for
Dumba

But I'm sure OP quote is reliable and Wild will go there first.
If they traded Dumba it'd be for a forward, and I can't see that happening before the offseason.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Minnesota maybe making a trade?? Sabres are ready and waiting by the phone, give us a call ;)

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Hmm. No match, we don't have a 2018 2nd round pick to sweeten the pot.

Thats ok, we'll take our 2018 3rd rd pick back (pls don't send Foligno or Ennis back though, no take-backs on them)

To Minnesota: Zach Bogosian
To Buffalo: Reilly, 2018 3rd

why for Minnesota? - Helps out Buffalo, as is tradition. Adds a player that is at a position of no need whatsoever, and makes current and future cap situation even worse.

why for Buffalo? - See above

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What about Winnik and Reilly for , DeAngelo and a 4th
I don't think we want to trade Winnik. Not that he's a world-beater, but he's been one of the more consistent bottom-6 guys we have this year. I'm also not sure how much interest we'd have in DeAngelo.

I think they're probably looking for a pick straight across for Reilly. My guess is that they want the open contact slot as much as anything. It's not urgent, but they are going to want to sign Greenway later in the season.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Thats ok, we'll take our 2018 3rd rd pick back (pls don't send Foligno or Ennis back though, no take-backs on them)

To Minnesota: Zach Bogosian
To Buffalo: Reilly, 2018 3rd

why for Minnesota? - Helps out Buffalo, as is tradition. Adds a player that is at a position of no need whatsoever, and makes current and future cap situation even worse.

why for Buffalo? - See above

Funny. Really though, if Buffalo is looking for defensemen that can skate and handle the puck well Reilly fits the bill and wouldn't be expensive. I guess the problem would be sheltering him with a decent partner because he's not all that reliable defensively just yet. He can help bring some movement on the powerplay, though.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Funny. Really though, if Buffalo is looking for defensemen that can skate and handle the puck well Reilly fits the bill and wouldn't be expensive. I guess the problem would be sheltering him with a decent partner because he's not all that reliable defensively just yet. He can help bring some movement on the powerplay, though.

You had me at "defensemen that can skate"; that skill alone immediately vaults him into our top-4.

Buffalo is definitely interested in any player or prospect for the future, the younger they are and lower the cost, the better. The thing is we're not really looking to give up any futures ourselves.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You had me at "defensemen that can skate"; that skill alone immediately vaults him into our top-4.

Buffalo is definitely interested in any player or prospect for the future, the younger they are and lower the cost, the better. The thing is we're not really looking to give up any futures ourselves.
Yeah, might not be a fit, but we're probably talking about like a 3rd round pick. I doubt we can demand a 2nd for him right now, though I think he has a good chance to be worth at least that in the next season or two.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minnesota maybe making a trade?? Sabres are ready and waiting by the phone, give us a call ;)

I bet you are. Still smarting here.

Fletcher will be lynched if he makes one more lopsided trade in BUF's favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad