Wild clinch 1st playoff spot

Pandastyle

Congrats Greg.

You're only 4 points off of me now. Do you think your team has enough to overtake me with 8 games left?

Remaining Games, along with my predictions:

Wild: Avalanche (H) - W, Canadiens (A) - L, Canucks (A) - W, Jackets (H) - L, Oilers (H) - T (I'm being generous :) ), Sabres (A) - W, Flames (H) - W, Bruins (A) - L

So that gives you a record of 4-3-1 for your remaining 8 games, for 9 points.

Oilers: Flames (H) - W, Canucks (A) - W, Flames (H) - T, Wild (A) - T, Capitals (H) - T, Devils (A) - L, Canucks (A) - W, Avalanche (H) - W

That gives me a record of 4-1-3 for my remaining 8 games, for 11 points.

My remaining schedule IMO is easier than yours, so you definitely have an uphill battle ahead of you.

Pandastyle

The thing that sucks is that I'll likely have St. Louis in the 1st round of the playoffs. Even with home ice advantage, I'll still be the underdog in that series.

Meanwhile, MIN vs. DET is much more even, but I'd give the edge to Drew.

Mar 1, 2002
I have no problem is considering myself the underdog against Drew, especially if he gets home ice. If I get the 4th seed......it's more of a coin flip

HFNHL Red Wings

Nobody will have a challenge with Detroit in the playoffs if Burke keeps falling over with exhaustion.
He gets two or three days off, only moves up to 97, and then back to 95 as soon as he plays a game. This has gone on for 3 weeks now.
I can't count on Niittymaki to be starting in the play-offs, despite the fact he some how shut out the Ducks last night I wouldn't want to have to start him every 2nd game of the play-offs. Very frustrating :cry:

Matt did you sell me damaged goods ;)

Mar 1, 2002
Well, it's a big doubleheader tonite:

Oilers have Calgary (H) and Vancouver (R)
Wild have Colorado (H) and Montreal (R)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Pandastyle said:
The thing that sucks is that I'll likely have St. Louis in the 1st round of the playoffs. Even with home ice advantage, I'll still be the underdog in that series.

Meanwhile, MIN vs. DET is much more even, but I'd give the edge to Drew.

Ha, and so the positioning begins!

I'm not sure how the Blues are the favorite really - the Oilers have been a more cohesive team through out the season. And given the Oil's home record, that home ice is going to make a difference.

A start of a good rivalry it seems - we went 7 games in round one last playoff and you have a heck of lot better team this year...could it be the same this year?

Pandastyle

I didn't expect you to beat the Canadiens in their house, Greg. The clock is ticking... :)

Nick, I understand that your team has underperformed. But still, you have the most talented team in the league and your away record is damn good at 23-13-1.

Maybe I just want to be considered the underdog for motivational purposes. ;)

Mar 1, 2002
Since Edmonton won't cooperate by losing a game, Minnesota looks like they will be shooting for that #4 seed. The Wings lost to Nashville, allowing the Wild to open a 3 point lead on them.

Their next game is a tough one, hosting powerhouse Columbus. If the Wild can get 2 points there, 3rd isn't out of the question. It could come down to one last matchup with Edmonton.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Wild GM said:
Since Edmonton won't cooperate by losing a game, Minnesota looks like they will be shooting for that #4 seed. The Wings lost to Nashville, allowing the Wild to open a 3 point lead on them.

Their next game is a tough one, hosting powerhouse Columbus. If the Wild can get 2 points there, 3rd isn't out of the question. It could come down to one last matchup with Edmonton.

Sorry I couldn't cooperate, Greg (Brodeur was solid - now I need to rest him), but I'm in a dogfight myself for the Conference title, with the Sharks picking a fine time to go on a winning streak, which he extended last night, edging Les Habs 3-2 in OT. It gets worse, with only 1 of his last 5 games against playoff-bound treams, versus my 4 of 5 games. Go spoilers! I suppose it's better they win now than in the playoffs, though! ;)

You're sitting 4 points back with Edmonton holding a game in hand - a 4th-place finish for Minnesota is looking more and more likely. Who knows, though - with the bottom 4 teams all offering real challenges, you might find you get a better matchup! Watch out, though - Detroit still has two games in hand on you, and is only 3 points back...

Mar 1, 2002
Pandastyle said:
Keep dreaming Greg, keep dreaming....

Well, Minnesota beat the Oilers in their last matchup. Only 2 points back, but with Edmonton having a game in hand with less than 5 games to go, still going to be tough to catch you, though....I do have the tiebreaker on ya.

Mar 1, 2002
Pandastyle said:
You have the tiebreaker now, but as you said, I still have a game in hand. :)

....and you lost it tonite. 2 points ahead, 3 games to play.

Hmmm...I say your chances to win the division has fallen to 60/40 now.

HFNHL Red Wings

Wild GM said:
And now the Wings will pass me for 4th. Lovely.

I'm not sure how you figure that but I hope you're right :)

It's possible, but given my teams inconsistent play in the past 10+ games the odds are not in my favour.

Mar 1, 2002
HFNHL Red Wings said:
I'm not sure how you figure that but I hope you're right :)

It's possible, but given my teams inconsistent play in the past 10+ games the odds are not in my favour.

You are 3 points back with 2 games in hand. No disrepect against them, but you have 2 games against Nashville and 1 each with Pittsburgh and Florida, none of whom are playoff teams. One of my 2 games is at Boston.

At best, I figure I split my 2, meaning you just have to win 3 of 4 against non-playoff teams. You should get 4th.

No pressure though. :)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Wild GM said:
You are 3 points back with 2 games in hand. No disrepect against them, but you have 2 games against Nashville and 1 each with Pittsburgh and Florida, none of whom are playoff teams. One of my 2 games is at Boston.

At best, I figure I split my 2, meaning you just have to win 3 of 4 against non-playoff teams. You should get 4th.

No pressure though. :)

Either way, it's just a matter of who gets home-ice against the other, since it looks pretty clearly like a Detroit/Minnesota first-round matchup. Should be interesting!

My Jackets seem finally to be putting a little distance between ourselves and San Jose for the conference title, and the right to take on Chicago in teh first round. Having just delivered a 7-0 drubbing to the Blackhawks, I suppose I should be pleased, but now the 'hawks will be carrying a chip on their collective shoulder heading into Game 1, so it could get ugly...

Here's the first-round matchups as they project out today:

EAST:
1 BOS vs 8 MTL
2 NJD vs 7 BUF
3 WAS vs 6 NYI
4 PHI vs 5 OTT

WEST:
1 CBJ vs 8 CHI
2 SJS vs 7 ANA
3 EDM vs 6 STL
4 MIN vs 5 DET

Still some room for these to move a bit - games will matter right down to the final day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->