Why was Marc-Andre Fleury selected 1st overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Outplaying him? Sabourbin is playing spot duty. The only reason he is up in the AHL is to give Chiodo some playing time. MAF basically forced him to the bench by playing as well as he is. Sabourbin fills in when MAF needs a break.

This is getting seriously old. MAF is one of the top 2 goalie prospects in the world. He has a bad game at the WJC and all of a sudden he must be crap. Get over it. Everyone did this with Vinnie L . and Dipietro, etc. You expect kids, who are way to young, to be superstars immediately. It doesn't happen that way. Ask any team to trade their top goalie prospect straight up for MAF and they would jump at the chance with the exception of Atlanta, since Kari L. is older and further along (Talent wise it's a wash IMO).

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The only reason he is up in the AHL is to give Chiodo some playing time.

I believe Chiodo was injured a little over a week ago. I'm not sure if he is still recovering, playing in Wheeling or what. I do know that his performances in relief of Fleury have been unimpressive enough to get him sent down a few times this season. Plus, like you said, it's better to get good minutes, even in an inferior league.

These threads are hilarious. We should do this, like, once a month.

Oh, wait...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Taxman said:
Fleury has been struggling mightily the last couple of months in the AHL. His save percentage is down to around .900. He is getting worse as the season progresses, not better. Dany Sabourin is clearly outplaying him right now.
He's had a bad month of January, nothing more. As stated above, Sabourin is playing well in spot duty.

Hockeyheart

Dec 15, 2004
clefty said:
Facts, eh?

*sigh* This is getting old.

Marc-Andre Fleury is going to make a lot of people look very foolish. Should it happen that Fleury turns into a spectacular goalie, and he has all the tools to do so, there are going to be so many people making the claim "I was high on him all along while the rest of you weren't!" Honestly, I can just see it.

Considering how much he's trashed here, I fail to see how he's overrated.
Fleury Looks good to people with mainstream basic hockey knowledge, its like conforming to what you here everyday on TV. You must be brainwashed by the hype and won't see reallity for 5 years. He may be the next Martin Brod or he could be the next Doug Wickenheiser, WHO KNOWS!!!!

Marmax

Dec 28, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Hockeyheart said:
Fleury Looks good to people with mainstream basic hockey knowledge, its like conforming to what you here everyday on TV. You must be brainwashed by the hype and won't see reallity for 5 years. He may be the next Martin Brod or he could be the next Doug Wickenheiser, WHO KNOWS!!!!

What the hell are you babbling about?? And unless Fleury convert to a forward he has 0 chances to be the next Doug Wickenheiser.

:loony:

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
From what i've gathered is that Fleury seems to be tiring out in the third period lately. AHL hockey is much more physical than the Q and he only weighs in at 172 lbs. (that's before the season. Who knows at this point?)

Give him some time to grow into his frame and adjust to the grind of professional hockey. Calling hima bust, or disappointment, or whatever is totally unwarranted at this stage.

neg marron

Mar 1, 2002
gatineau quebec
www.rds.ca
phenom maf

BlindWillyMcHurt said:
I believe Chiodo was injured a little over a week ago. I'm not sure if he is still recovering, playing in Wheeling or what. I do know that his performances in relief of Fleury have been unimpressive enough to get him sent down a few times this season. Plus, like you said, it's better to get good minutes, even in an inferior league.

These threads are hilarious. We should do this, like, once a month.

Oh, wait...
he was drafted first overall because he a phenom a freak even there probably hasn't been that good of a goalie since fuhr , he's the best quebec goalie since patrick roy
his reflexes remind me of fuhr

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
This seriously has been done to death. I know there is a hardcore stat-fetish amongst the general populus here, but you don't need purty stats in the AHL to have success in the NHL. I can think of very few people who would take Jason Labarbera over Maffy. He came up with the Rags for awhile and got lit up, yet his AHL numbers are superb (he's also quite a bit older than Fleury as well). As mentioned before, guys like Broduer, Khabibulin, etc. didn't post glitzy #'s in the A but have clearly enjoyed fine NHL careers. It will probably never happen here, but people need to realize that numbers, while they can serve as handy indicators, are not divine laws. Marc-Andre Fleury is not a bad goalie because his GAA is 'such and such', and Lethonen's is 'this much higher', and certainly not because he made a bad play in that WJ gold medal game over a year ago (which by the way if you haven't gotten over yet, you need to seek professional help). Until Fleury cements himself in the NHL, we will only be able to go by potential....and while his numbers may not be suitable for some of you folks, his skills and potential cannot be denied.

Last edited:

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
neg marron said:
he was drafted first overall because he a phenom a freak even there probably hasn't been that good of a goalie since fuhr , he's the best quebec goalie since patrick roy
his reflexes remind me of fuhr

What are you talking about? Stop being such a racist.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As I said before, how many would trade their next draft year's number one pick for him?

If that pick were after pick number ten? I would guess that almost every honest hand would be up.

Absent it being the first or second pick next draft? I would guess most would remain up.

There is an easy way to guage his value.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
craig1 said:
Out of curiosity, how is is comparison of MAF's skills to Roy and Fuhr being racist? I do not see one comment there with racial overtones.

"even there probably hasn't been that good of a goalie since fuhr"

Hes always going on about how black players are the best, black prospects should be playing for their national teams. Its just so sickening.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
craig1 said:
Ask any team to trade their top goalie prospect straight up for MAF and they would jump at the chance with the exception of Atlanta, since Kari L. is older and further along (Talent wise it's a wash IMO).

Post like this tend to get ignored because they're too logical for people on the opposing side of an argument to answer. I'd like to repeat the question: What team, besides Atlanta, would not jump at the chance to trade their top goaltending prospect (and in some cases their starter) for MAF?

Anybody? How about someone who's been trashing Fleury? C'mon. Let your voice be heard.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Dark Metamorphosis said:
you know guys like brodeur or khabibulin didn't light the world on fire right away right? if you watch him play instead of just going by his stats as an 18 year old you would see he has an immeasurable amount of talent.

I also seem to remember a young man by the name Hasek, I believe it was, who took a little while to find his game too. But once he did, he put together the most dominant 6 years years any NHL goaltender PERIOD.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
There is no real good reason. He was overhyped because it wasn't a deep draft for goalies. So everyone in Quebec decided they would try and say he is the next Patrick Roy and sadly, the Penguins were stupid enough to trade up and make him the #1 overall pick, and he is not progressing as fast as a #1 pick should.
he is progressing faster than rick dipietro did.

bruins4777*

Captain Conservative said:

Hes always going on about how black players are the best, black prospects should be playing for their national teams. Its just so sickening.

Sorry, but he clearly didn't do it in this thread, so what if he thinks fuhr is the best? He's wrong but theres no racism in what he wrote there, don't let hatred follow over.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think it also has something to do with how neg marron can't make a single post without mentioning or inquiring about a black hockey player.

Not a single one.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:

I see.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Jacobv2 said:
I think it also has something to do with how neg marron can't make a single post without mentioning or inquiring about a black hockey player.

Not a single one.

It'd be like you or I going to an NBA board and only talking about white players, or saying some white player is better than some black player when the black player is clearly better. More so actually, because there are a lot of white guys in the NBA. It just annoys the **** out of me.

Reilly311

Vicious Vic said:
I also seem to remember a young man by the name Hasek, I believe it was, who took a little while to find his game too. But once he did, he put together the most dominant 6 years years any NHL goaltender PERIOD.

Hasek was always good. He was the most dominant goalie from the day he got his starting job until he won his stanley cup.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Jacobv2 said:

Not a single one.
I've had my suspicions about him being a racist...

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
MAF only had a shutout last night against Bridgeport. His stat line was:

GAA: 0.00
Sv%: 1.00
SoG: 14

This is completely unacceptable for the #1 overall pick! He sould have had a GAA below 0.00 and a much higher save percentage. I know goalies that are 4th on their teams prospect chart that would have blown his stats out of the water if they were in goal for him!

Good game MAF! :handclap:

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
craig1 said:
MAF only had a shutout last night against Bridgeport. His stat line was:

GAA: 0.00
Sv%: 1.00
SoG: 14

This is completely unacceptable for the #1 overall pick! He sould have had a GAA below 0.00 and a much higher save percentage. I know goalies that are 4th on their teams prospect chart that would have blown his stats out of the water if they were in goal for him!

Good game MAF! :handclap:

Any goalie worth his oats would have a negative GAA. He's a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->