why was Julien Ellis drafted so late?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Danger

Jul 7, 2002
Suisse
Visit site
the Q has brought some fine goalies into the NHL in the last years.

Brodeur, Denis, Giguere, Theodore, Lalime, Biron, Luongo, ...

but in the Entry Draft 2004, the 1st Q-goalie picked was Jason Churchill at the end of rnd 4!

and why has Julien Ellis been drafted that late, when the Q is known for producing fine goalies? ... :dunno:

or Martin Houle in rnd 8 ...?

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
Mainly because he had 1 bad showing at the Top Prospects game.. that dropped him. Oh well.. As a canucks fan i'm not complaining :handclap:

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Just one of those mediocre sized prospects who had a bad showing in one prospects game. He looks to be a steal, but is anything but a blue-chipper at this point.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
bopeep said:
Sounds like a wuss :dunno:

I think when Vancouver took him in the 6th round, no one knew where he was. Apparently he was crying, alone, in the the bathroom. It was pretty bad as he was considered a lock for the top 4 rounds and was one of the top 5 goalies of the draft (usually all taken in the 1st or 2nd rounds). So he was crying as this may have a negative effect on his future.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Cry or no cry we still got one of the best goalies in the draft.

The fact he did cry hasn't seemed to have hurt him at all. . . . . . .

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
*shrugs* Drafts are nervous times for all players, and when you go something like a 100 or so picks after where you're projected to go, that can weigh on you. I don't blame Ellis for being upset.

As a Canuck fan though, I'm sure not complaining. He's looking like a steal at this point.

~Canucklehead~

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Johnny Danger said:
the Q has brought some fine goalies into the NHL in the last years.

Brodeur, Denis, Giguere, Theodore, Lalime, Biron, Luongo, ...

but in the Entry Draft 2004, the 1st Q-goalie picked was Jason Churchill at the end of rnd 4!

and why has Julien Ellis been drafted that late, when the Q is known for producing fine goalies? ... :dunno:

or Martin Houle in rnd 8 ...?

Jullien Ellis is a fine goalie prospect, but the reason he fell was because he had a poor prospect game, and that was where most prospect saw him play. That being said before that people where rating him ahead of Dubnyk, and Cory Schneider and was considered the third best goalie in the draft.Expect him to get invited to the team Canada camp next year, and watch him make a splash.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Russian_fanatic said:
Jullien Ellis is a fine goalie prospect, but the reason he fell was because he had a poor prospect game, and that was where most prospect saw him play. That being said before that people where rating him ahead of Dubnyk, and Cory Schneider and was considered the third best goalie in the draft.Expect him to get invited to the team Canada camp next year, and watch him make a splash.
He fell for more reasons then that. If you think 30 teams would pass on a goaltender numorous time because of one bad game then you are greatly mistaken. LaLaLaPrise hit it on the head. He is only a generous 6 feet on paper and scouts seem to like a goaltender that is big and covers the net. It is the same reason Houle dropped so far.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Isn't Marek Schwarz, like, 5'11? I don't think the height was a big factor.
You did see Schwarz quickness at the WJC? Thats why he was first round....you can't teach that sort of quickness or reaction.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Whatever, we frickin' drafted Loic Lacasse instead of Ellis, that still pisses me off! The ******* stood on his head for the Cataracts on most nights.

CH Wizard

Jason MacIsaac said:
He fell for more reasons then that. If you think 30 teams would pass on a goaltender numorous time because of one bad game then you are greatly mistaken. LaLaLaPrise hit it on the head. He is only a generous 6 feet on paper and scouts seem to like a goaltender that is big and covers the net. It is the same reason Houle dropped so far.

Theodore is smaller.I didn't see Julien-Ellis Plante play often.He was a decent goalie , his quickness wasn't bad.His lateral moves weren't slow.I know , he isn't that big but Lacasse has been picked before him.Lacasse hasn't the potential to become a N#1 goalie.I see some great potential in Plante.So it was a steal to my eyes.Lacasse is playing in a pretty weak team though.He isn't well positioning him in front of the net , he's lost.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Iv seen him about 30 times for the last 2 years.
He is damn good... He seem to like to steal games..
he is one of the reason of the success of the Cataractes this year. They have a very young team with many recruits producing.... even the coach wouldnt have predicted the success they have this year. Next year will be the Big one for this team :)

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
One of top goaltenders in the Q right now. Even if he only turns out to be a backup goalie in the NHL (Lets just consider his potential to be that of a poor man's Manny Legace), I'd be more than thrilled. 6th round........usually the "Take whatever you can, and be happy" rounds.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Ellis cried because he's been drafted after Lacasse. Lacasse isn't at the same level that Ellis is and Lacasse used to be Ellis' back-up. Also, Lacasse was drafted by the habs, I can't imagine how painful it must be for Ellis. If I were Bob Gainey, I'd personally apologize to Ellis.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
I think when Vancouver took him in the 6th round, no one knew where he was. Apparently he was crying, alone, in the the bathroom. It was pretty bad as he was considered a lock for the top 4 rounds and was one of the top 5 goalies of the draft (usually all taken in the 1st or 2nd rounds). So he was crying as this may have a negative effect on his future.
I thought the players weren't there for the 2nd day of drafting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad