Why was Daigle drafted 1st overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Now, I was not a hockey fans in 1993. But I was wondering what was the hype around Daigle back in 1993? I know ppl were comparing him to Mario Lemieux back then but I dont think it is accurate as ppl must have seen the size different. Was Daigle drafted 1st overall mainly because of Pierre Turgeon maybe? They was about the same size, got almost the same points as a junior and Turgeon was drafted 1st overall from QMJHL in 1987. And I know in Daigle draft year 1993 Pierre Turgeon had just finished a super season in which he scored 58+74 for 132 points in 83 games.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Not only that, he really was special in juniors, he posted a 110 pts season as a 16 year old, and plus he had that fat ass ego of his which naturally attracted the hordes of gossip columnists. Can't beat hype.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Well, in Daigle's second Q season, he only played 18 more games the entire year than Crosby has played thus far this year- and he had almost double the points (137 in 53 games, Crosby has 74 in 35 games).

CH Wizard

Because of his impressive stats in the Q.I remember He was a very flashy player.His playmaking skils were unbeleivable.That's why He was called the next ''66''.

Then , He had too many pressure on him.He lost confidence in him.

You know the rest............. :shakehead

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
Roberto Luongo said:
Why was Daigle drafted 1st overall?
Because those who should have been most interested in objectivity - NHL executives - let subjective feelings about Daigle win the day. Was what everybody thought about Daigle before the draft based on an extensive quantitative study of previous prospects like him, or did those selecting look at a few readily misleading numbers - goals, assists, etc. - and ignore other aspects of the person. I'm thinking the latter, but I'm armed with the knowledge of hindsight.

Then again, there's little direction to go with the first overall pick other than down. Expectations are typically so great with that pick that the player either meets those expectations or falls short. I'm more interested in the thought process of teams that have success selecting later in the draft.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Mr Bugg said:
Well, in Daigle's second Q season, he only played 18 more games the entire year than Crosby has played thus far this year- and he had almost double the points (137 in 53 games, Crosby has 74 in 35 games).

The Q have changed alot in 10 years. And was Daigle leading the league in points? Crosby will be the 1st 16-17 years old to win back to back laegue leader since... whom? it have been such a long time ago a player have done that that I dont remember, if any 16-17 year old have done it at all.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Hey, I'm not trying to argue that Daigle is better- I'm just showing you why the hype was what it was. Those are fantastic numbers for any era.

mooseOAK*

People were unaware at the time that the QMJHL was a glorified midget league.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He was drafted #1 because he was exceptionally talented. That he wasn't able to live up to it is another matter. Looking back of course he shouldn't have been drafted first, but he also shouldn't have been handled the way he was by his team.

Look at where he is today. He is finally starting to learn it takes hard work to be a NHL player. And by now he has blown most of his career.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
That's why I say that you people should be careful about Crosby. He could look like the next Gretzky, but he could score less than Maltby. No one knows.

FlyersFan10*

The fact is that Daigle was handled very poorly by his agent, by his hockey team, and by his parents.

It was revealed not too long ago that Daigle never really wanted to play hockey and that it was his father who pushed him to play. On top of that, his agent negotiated that monster contract for him, knowing that the pressure to perform in Ottawa was going to be enormous and that it might crush the kid. Finally, Ottawa is to blame for handing him not only that enormous contract, but to the wolves. Rather than let him properly develop, they rushed him and that hurt him.

I like Alex's game today. And you can bet that Jacques Lemaire knows how to utilize him and knows how to poke and prod him to get him to produce. Alex will be an effective third liner, and he won't be expected to lead, which was never his strong suit.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
wilka91 said:
That's why I say that you people should be careful about Crosby. He could look like the next Gretzky, but he could score less than Maltby. No one knows.

I think it's an age thing. When you are young, you get carried away by can't-miss-prospects. Their stats look so juicy. Then when you get a bit older and have experienced a bunch of them fail (and vice versa a bunch of guys no one thought highly of turn into amazing players) you realize that it's best to wait and see. The media (especially the canadian one, simply because junior hockey is so huge there) often get carried away.

I think there is a lot to like about Crosby. I would expect every NHL GM would love to draft him. But the wet hockey fantasies that come from fans and media is way premature. But when you tell a 15 year old hockey fan that, he won't get it. Afterall, Crosby is looking so damned good.;)

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Whatever it was, it wont be the last time a #1 has flopped. There were many before Daigle, and there will be many more to come. Brian Lawton anyone?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
mercury said:
Patrik Stefan is talented, but he is not going to be the next anybody. Not his fault that was a weak draft year, though. In 2002, he wouldn't have been top 5.

Aside from the top 4, 2002 wasn'ta great year at the draft table anyway.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Roberto Luongo said:
The Q have changed alot in 10 years. And was Daigle leading the league in points? Crosby will be the 1st 16-17 years old to win back to back laegue leader since... whom? it have been such a long time ago a player have done that that I dont remember, if any 16-17 year old have done it at all.
are you serious? daigle absolutely dominated the q, there was no doubt in anyones mind at the time that he was the no 1 pick. his hype was of similar size to crosbys in fact. anyone who dismisses daigle and says crosby is other worldly in comparison just isnt remembering. crosby has a much better attitude, and i think that will make a huge difference. daigle was labeled a cant miss, franchise player - he was to be the face of whatever franchise took him. he was a better prospect than pronger, kariya, arnott - take a look at that stacked draft and try to imagine that not one player was close to daigle on draft day. the proof of how big he was to be was his contract. he made 3 million a year in 1992! only 66 and 99 made more at the time. his contract alone led to the 94 lockout, the rookie cap, and played no small role in the inflation that led to this lockout. love your stats all you want, but crosby wont be anything more than marty murray until he does it at the nhl level. dont get me wrong, im rooting for him and cant wait to see it, but you cant get caught up in the hype. he could fall flat as a pro.

myt biggest problem with the daigle hate game was that the kid scored 20 goals and had like 50 pts! as an 18 year old! for the ottawa senators who were one of the worst teams in the history of the game. i thought he more than lived up to expectations - wouldnt you think that would be good enough? it wasnt close to good enough, and thats why daigle failed. 50 pts as an 18 year old was considered a failure for a kid with that much hype and that big a contract. he was doomed the day he signed, imo. there have been so many worst busts as no 1 than daigle, it really bothers me he gets so much crap. he's put up enough points to at least be considered a good player, and everyone still refers to him as one of the biggest busts ever.a valueable lesson for crosby to look at.

Last edited:

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
The Great One said:
Because of his impressive stats in the Q.I remember He was a very flashy player.His playmaking skils were unbeleivable.

At the time, Kariya had basically the same scouting report comments (speed and playmaking).

Daigle started with these two NHL seasons:
18 yo = 84-20-51
19 yo = 47-16-37 (about 65 points)

Kariya
18 yo = NA
19 yo = 47-18-39

According to news reports the summer after that last year, I assume they were both pretty frusterated trying to set up 3rd liners on expansion teams. CBC showed clips of Kariya firing shots at his parents garage... lots of dents. He worked on his shot all summer (the summer before he worked on breakaways b/c of the breakaway he missed in International play). Daigle doesn't seem to have worked on anything that summer... he just told every reporter in Ottawa that he "was going to score 50 goals". He crashed after that.
Even if he didn't work on anything, there's no reason why he shouldn't at least be Nylander or something now.

Nimrods Son

Daigle is up there with Chris Phillips as gems of the Senators drafting system.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
trentmccleary said:
At the time, Kariya had basically the same scouting report comments (speed and playmaking).

Daigle started with these two NHL seasons:
18 yo = 84-20-51
19 yo = 47-16-37 (about 65 points)

Kariya
18 yo = NA
19 yo = 47-18-39 He crashed after that.
Even if he didn't work on anything, there's no reason why he shouldn't at least be Nylander or something now.
i think he is playing very well in minny, actually. he isnt that far off being a nylander, imo. your stats actually make my point even better, how are those the stats of a bust? the guys playing, and putting up numbers on horrible teams. the expectations were the bust. thanks for the stats.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Nimrods Son said:
Daigle is up there with Chris Phillips as gems of the Senators drafting system.
it was the same thing at that draft, no one was considered close to phillips really. he was an obvious choice. everyone blames the teams, but they did what any team would have done with that pick. these guys were consensus, hands down no 1's. its just the luck of the draw. in hockey, not even no 1 is a sure thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad