Why they traded Hall (article)

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Ference was a terrible captain and only got it because of Eakins

as a guy fine with the trade, these character assassinations about Hall need to stop

how is it character assassination and how is it different from the things said about chia, ference, yak, looch etc by the same people defending hall? I'm quoting things ference, scrivs, klef etc said. if you have an issue with those things bring it up with hall's former teammates. bring it up with Eakins and todd for lambasting hall on the bench.

ference, no matter how much you don't respect him was still an nhl player who's been there and who's played with hall. to downplay his opinions is foolish.

the whole point being made is hall was not only ousted for his on ice play but likely equally as much because of the off ice stuff ference brought up. how is it wrong to bring it up. I'm not bringing up any rumors about what I head hall did in the room etc.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
lol, give it up. ference knows a heck of a lot more than you about what hall did for the team.

My point is Ference is going to have his own biases and own set of value sin terms of what's important that may not accord with reality. Personally, I think scoring more goals than the other team is more valuable than body language but then I wasn't a passenger riding actual talents' coattails to a Cup.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
ference, no matter how much you don't respect him was still an nhl player who's been there and who's played with hall. to downplay his opinions is foolish.

Some of the dumbest, least insightful people in hockey are ex-players. Ference seems smarter than a Jeremy Roenick or Patrick O'Sullivan, but he's gonna have his own biases and blind spots.

Treating his word as gospel because he was an NHLer is specious reasoning.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
how is it character assassination and how is it different from the things said about chia, ference, yak, looch etc by the same people defending hall? I'm quoting things ference, scrivs, klef etc said. if you have an issue with those things bring it up with hall's former teammates. bring it up with Eakins and todd for lambasting hall on the bench.

the whole point being made is hall was not only ousted for his on ice play but likely equally as much because of the off ice stuff ference brought up. how is it wrong to bring it up. I'm not bringing up any rumors about what I head hall did in the room etc.
Again you're taking the opinion of the likes of Dallas Eakins and Andrew Ference, both whom spat on the Oilers logo and were some of the biggest embarrassments in franchise history, over the likes of Connor McDavid, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Jordan Eberle, players who were absolutely worthy of the Oilers crest on their chest.. You're downplaying the opinions of people who are of value to this organization and only looking at the opinions of people who were nothing but a detriment to this organization. The only person of value to the Oilers who has ever said anything bad about Hall to my knowledge was Klefbom, and he never said anything bad about Hall's character, only that Hall disappeared vs good teams.

Speaking of people who deserved to be called "true Oilers", Taylor Hall was the lone bright spot on an awful squad for 6 years, but never once complained, never once asked for a trade, always stuck by this team regardless of what happened, and even got depressed for a year after leaving. Hall loved being an Oiler. Eakins couldn't wait to stop being a member of the Oilers. The fact that you're using Dallas freaking Eakins' opinion about Hall as part of your smear campaign tells me just how desperate you are.

You should stop posting in the Oilers forum and go post in the Boston Bruins forum. That's a team that your hero Andrew Ference actually wanted to be a part of.

EDIT: Also who here has actually participated in character assassination of Yakupov? Most of us here thought he was a great kid who contributed to the community and worked his ass off, the reason he got hate was because he wasn't a good hockey player. If Nail Yakupov was a 91st overall pick, he would've been a fan favourite here.

Reactions: McAsuno

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
more quotes from ference: "and then you look down the locker and you know that guy is never going to go to war for you. I mean, that’s demoralizing. It kills teams, to not be able to look across and know that guy has got your back just as much as you have his".

"We’ve talked everything to death, honestly. Especially guys that come from different organizations — they know the difference between what works and what doesn’t and what’s positive and what’s not. You feel for coaches that are trying to have the same message. It’s a winning message. I’ve had a lot of success on a lot of teams. The message is the right message and the X’s and O’s are the right X’s and O’s. It’s there, it has to be done (on the ice). To come in here and try to convince guys that they should be excited to play in the NHL and have some pride and not mope around — it’s a joke. It shouldn’t happen at this level. Until guys can figure that part out, it’s going to be a constant cycle. It’s about working hard and learning and not making the same mistakes over and over again. And that’s not something that we’ve been doing. To do it, it has to come from players, from individuals making up their mind to do those things. But we’re hammering the same nail.”

again some off ice stuff in bolded. remember he said this after hall was traded and ebs and nuge were still on the team.....

You know which player was notorious for not going to go to war for his teammates or have his teammates backs? Andrew Ference. There were multiple instances of players taking dirty hit while Ference was on the ice, and captain vegetables didn't even start a scrum. The most demoralizing thing to a team is to watch your captain be responsible for 2 goals against, then fail to stand up for a teammate who just got injured. ****ing hypocrite should be embarrassed. Possibly the worst captain in Oilers history and we had Shayne Corson.

Reactions: McAsuno and harpoon

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You know which player was notorious for not going to go to war for his teammates or have his teammates backs? Andrew Ference. There were multiple instances of players taking dirty hit while Ference was on the ice, and captain vegetables didn't even start a scrum. The most demoralizing thing to a team is to watch your captain be responsible for 2 goals against, then fail to stand up for a teammate who just got injured. ****ing hypocrite should be embarrassed. Possibly the worst captain in Oilers history and we had Shayne Corson.

lol, ok, so you can trash ference and Eakins all you want... play the holier than thou card saying noone else can say anything bad about hall. none of what we say about hall didn't come out of the mouth of ference, scrivens, klef etc. just because you have love hall doesn't mean you can go around telling people what they can or can't talk about. if you have an issue, maybe you should have a word with ference etc.

I can say the same... quit bashing ference and Eakins... wah wah wah!

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Meanwhile McDavid gets mauled down by a entire flames squad on the ice, and the team absolutely does nothing about it. Not our tough guys. Not even Lucic who said the team wouldn't be easy to play against or get pushed around easily. But hey, blame Taylor Hallllll!

Reactions: harpoon

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
30 or so??? Are you keeping your search to a half season? or did you miss a zero?

we could have saved a lot of wear and tear on the zamboni at rexall. Hall always had the oppositions end wiped clean and polished with his duff from the blue line to the corner.

Needs more toe-drag. I think that was the battle cry of failure for a couple years here.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
EDIT: Also who here has actually participated in character assassination of Yakupov? Most of us here thought he was a great kid who contributed to the community and worked his ass off, the reason he got hate was because he wasn't a good hockey player. If Nail Yakupov was a 91st overall pick, he would've been a fan favourite here.
Guilty. I've been hating on Yakupov since he whined like a small child and twice asked to be traded.
Course I don't have to resort to making stuff up like the guy who is making hating on Hall his full time job.
And btw, the 'worked his ass off' part of your post is very very debatable.

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good thing we got two goals tonight from McDavid's linemate "Character". He came up huge for Connor.

Oh wait ... imaginary goals don't count? Damn you NHL.

#talentdoesntmatter

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Another game where the Oilers can't score a freaking goal. Could really use some scoring wingers!

Plus Larsson was horrible tonight. The Nurse-Larsson pairing was not impressive tonight, were both in a different timezone chasing puck when Gaudreau scored and were on for around 5 hilarious sequences tonight.

In a game in which we fail to score and Lucic cancels out any hope of offense. With him on the ice whacking wide on the puck with a PP and a goalie pulled and he bunts 3 times and can't make contact with the puck once.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nah, who needs scoring wingers, when we have MOAR GRIT AND GOOD LOCKER ROOM PRESENCE!
The Oilers would seriously take 10 Milan Lucics at 6 million per over one Taylor Hall.

Plus Larsson was horrible tonight. The Nurse-Larsson pairing was not impressive tonight, were both in a different timezone chasing puck when Gaudreau scored and were on for around 5 hilarious sequences tonight.

In a game in which we fail to score and Lucic cancels out any hope of offense. With him on the ice whacking wide on the puck with a PP and a goalie pulled and he bunts 3 times and can't make contact with the puck once.
Speaking of Lucic he made one of those classic "Also in picture" moments on the GWG.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The Oilers would seriously take 10 Milan Lucics at 6 million per over one Taylor Hall.

Speaking of Lucic he made one of those classic "Also in picture" moments on the GWG.

Yeah, I wonder who's the new GRIT and ACCOUNTABILITY Idiotrelli is planning to trade for with Nuge.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
RNH for Troy Brouwer. Just because.

Haha, excellent example. For a league that has turned its direction into fast pace with excellent skating, Chiarelli still thinks he needs to use the "big mean bruins" to the Oilers. Yeah, we're a slow team even with the fastest player on ice in the world. Get f***ed, Chiarelli.

Reactions: frag2

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Haha, excellent example. For a league that has turned its direction into fast pace with excellent skating, Chiarelli still thinks he needs to use the "big mean bruins" to the Oilers. Yeah, we're a slow team even with the fastest player on ice in the world. Get ****ed, Chiarelli.
Not only slow, they're soft too. The Flames actually pushed them around and the Oilers had no response.

How is that even possible?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Not only slow, they're soft too. The Flames actually pushed them around and the Oilers had no response.

How is that even possible?

Clearly its Taylor Hall's stench that allowed this to happen. The guy isn't an Oiler for two years, and the no response while getting pushed around still happens. #BlameTaylorHall

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Another game where the Oilers can't score a freaking goal. Could really use some scoring wingers!
Nah, we're all good man. What we need is some grit and some players who play a proper 'team defense' game.
Holy ****, did Eakins really get defended in this thread?
Over and over and over. Its the depths this board is plumbing at the moment.
HK97 would seriously take 10 Milan Lucics at 6 million per over one Taylor Hall.
Fixed.

Reactions: McAsuno

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's funny that the three recent high profile trades of guys that "needed to go because character" are Hall (having a Hart trophy caliber season), Subban (was in the Finals last year and on the no.1 team in the West), and Kessel (ate too many hot dogs for Toronto, but wins 2 Cups in Pittsburgh).

Hmmmm. Montreal bet the farm of "karaktar" (errrr ... sorry, "character") and they're in the toilet bowl too.

Hmmmmm. It's almost as if trading away talented players in the vain, idiotic hope that role players will overplay above their heads for years is a stupid idea.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nah, we're all good man. What we need is some grit and some players who play a proper 'team defense' game.

Over and over and over. Its the depths this board is plumbing at the moment.
Fixed.
Don't forget that precious cap space.

Clearly its Taylor Hall's stench that allowed this to happen. The guy isn't an Oiler for two years, and the no response while getting pushed around still happens. #BlameTaylorHall
Eberle was a huge problem too. Or so we're told.

Funny how he actually did score against Calgary the other night too.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Don't forget that precious cap space.

Eberle was a huge problem too. Or so we're told.

Funny how he actually did score against Calgary the other night too.

I'll take last year's Eberle on this team over Strome any single day. Eberle at his worst season is still way better than Strome. Another pitiful trade by Chiarelli.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'll take last year's Eberle on this team over Strome any single day. Eberle at his worst season is still way better than Strome. Another pitiful trade by Chiarelli.
But but playoffs... Scoring.... Cap space... Character...

Nice of cap space to rifle it right into Smith today on a glorious chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad