Why the snub on Savard for Team Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerpaul*

:dunno: He's the most creative centre in the NHL, sits 5th in league scoring, and is the offensive fire of the Thrashers...yet he doesn't get any serious consideration...WHY? :confused:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
John Flyers Fan said:
#1. He isn't the most creative forward in the NHL.

#2. Bottom line is that he isn't one of Canada's 10 best centers or 30 best forwards.

I agree with JFF on #1, but not #2.

But as a center...yeah, he basically has zero shot just because he hasn't been good enough long enough.

Brad*

Perceived flaws in other aspects of the game, as well. He has elite talent, but apparently not enough to outweigh the apparent "baggage." Everybody's a psychologist.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
1. Thornton and Sakic are both better, and are locks.

2. Marleau, Richards, and Lecavalier are arguably better, and have been there before.

3. Spezza (more points) and Staal (one less point in 2 less games) are both more promising than Savard, and 6-7 years younger

4. The management loves Crosby

That is why Savard will not make Team Canada.

beerpaul*

:shakehead Other than Forsberg, who's more offensively creative than Savard? Names please. If taking the Thrashers on his back(along with sometimes Kovalchuk) for countless Thrasher wins is called "Baggage"...come on ...this supposed label pinned on him is from years ago when he entered the league in his early 20's. If you say he shouldn't be on the team because he hasn't been good enough, long enough....then Staal, Crosby and Spezza shouldn't be given consideration for the team either. Come on people...your excuses sad. :rolleyes:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
beerpaul said:
:shakehead Other than Forsberg, who's more offensively creative than Savard? Names please.

Who cares about creativity? This is about winning.

Joe Sakic can take the same boring wrist shot all tournament long, as long as it's going in

Savard is one of the best passers in the league, but so many other guys are comparable offensively, and bring more to the table in terms of defence, leadership, physical play, not biting people, etc.

Savard won't be (and shouldn't be) on Team Canada

Geese_Howard*

beerpaul said:
:shakehead Other than Forsberg, who's more offensively creative than Savard? Names please.

Sakic
Iginla
Lecavalier
Richards
Sundin
Spezza
Datsyk
Lang
Modano
Crosby
Lemieux (maybe not the player he once was but damn is he creative)
Koivu
Thornton
Marleau
Fedorov
Staal
Demitra
sullivan

and these are just the centers.... wanna get into wingers?

beerpaul*

Geese_Howard said:
Sakic
Iginla
Lecavalier
Richards
Sundin
Spezza
Datsyk
Lang
Modano
Crosby
Lemieux (maybe not the player he once was but damn is he creative)
Koivu
Thornton
Marleau
Fedorov
Staal
Demitra
sullivan

and these are just the centers.... wanna get into wingers?
:biglaugh: Every one of the players you listed, except Richards and Thornton, hasn't got the offensive CREATIVITY...read the word people, that Savard has. Creativity to me is: playmaking ability, reading how an offensive play can occur before it developes, elite vision that most players don't have, passing skill and accuracy. :shakehead

Brad*

beerpaul said:
:biglaugh: Every one of the players you listed, except Richards and Thornton, hasn't got the offensive CREATIVITY...read the word people, that Savard has. Creativity to me is: playmaking ability, reading how an offensive play can occur before it developes, elite vision that most players don't have, passing skill and accuracy. :shakehead
Yeah, Mario Lemieux is no Marc Savard.

Yayo

I'd take Martin Skoula's puck poise over Marc Savard's creativity any day.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Let me guess beerpaul.

You're a Thrashers fan and you really like Marc Savard?

Am I getting warm?

Savard isn't getting consideration for the same reason Spezza won't make the team. Inconsistent defensive play. Unproven performance in key situations in high pressure situations.

Truth hurts sometimes, I know.

beerpaul*

Ziggy Stardust said:
Look at how many teams Savard has led to the playoffs, with Marc as their #1 center. Plus team Canada doesn't have Ilya Kovalchuk. ;)
One player can lead a team into the playoffs? No player in the NHL, this year, has won more games by taking their team on their back, than Savard has though. Savard was putting up his points before he was put on Kovalchuk's line(which was only just recently). What about the points Marc put up last year when he wasn't on Kovalchuk or Heatley's line? He was second in the league in a point per game ratio, behind only Forsberg. Another Savard diss from someone who probably has seen Savard play one game in the last 3 years. Keep it up sheep! :rant:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Hammer Time said:
I'd take Martin Skoula's puck poise over Marc Savard's creativity any day.

That's what I was thinking, too. Another mindless homer jumping on some irrelevent buzzword (creativity) because he clearly loses if you use the term that actually matters (offensive production).

Here are some more reasons Marc Savard won't be on Team Canada: They don't want players with love handles, and they don't want whiny, pouty players who angst over their ice-time. Savard can stick with a loser franchise like the Thrashers, Team Canada actually wants to win.

Vic Rattlehead*

Beerpaul has done this before. It is clear Savard is his favourite player.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
beerpaul said:

Spezza is 5x more offensively creative. So is Lemieux at his age.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Gretzky is high also on people who have experience and who have won championships

Thornton - World Championship, World Cup, Olympic Gold
Lecavalier - Stanley Cup, WC, World Cup, Olympic Gold, Memorial Cup
Sakic - 2 Stanley Cups, WC, World Cup, Olympic Gold
Crosby - numerous individual awards, QMJHL Championship, WJC Gold & Silver
Savard - OHL scoring titles and....?

Not saying this is the sole criteria, but Gretzky and co have said they look at this as a big factor.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Marc Savard is just on a super offensive team, there a lot of players more creative then him and most of his assits are 2nd assits where the puck just taps his stick

Vic Rattlehead*

MeffyuhTJRest said:
Gretzky is high also on people who have experience and who have won championships

Thornton - World Championship, World Cup, Olympic Gold
Lecavalier - Stanley Cup, WC, World Cup, Olympic Gold, Memorial Cup
Sakic - 2 Stanley Cups, WC, World Cup, Olympic Gold
Crosby - numerous individual awards, QMJHL Championship, WJC Gold & Silver
Savard - OHL scoring titles and....?

Not saying this is the sole criteria, but Gretzky and co have said they look at this as a big factor.
Thornton hasn't won Olympic gold, but he has a WJC gold medal.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
beerpaul said:
One player can lead a team into the playoffs? No player in the NHL, this year, has won more games by taking their team on their back, than Savard has though. Savard was putting up his points before he was put on Kovalchuk's line(which was only just recently). What about the points Marc put up last year when he wasn't on Kovalchuk or Heatley's line? He was second in the league in a point per game ratio, behind only Forsberg. Another Savard diss from someone who probably has seen Savard play one game in the last 3 years. Keep it up sheep! :rant:

Savard has taken the Thrashers team on his back? :biglaugh:
I saw plenty of him in Calgary. Enjoy Savard and another year of missing the playoffs.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Here are some more reasons Marc Savard won't be on Team Canada: They don't want players with love handles, and they don't want whiny, pouty players who angst over their ice-time. Savard can stick with a loser franchise like the Thrashers, Team Canada actually wants to win.

When exactly has Savard pouted since that fool in Calgary attempted to make him a grinder?

Savard has been nothing less than spectacular for the Thrashers, and they probably could have made some noise in the playoff race last year if Savard had not missed half the season.

The REAL reason Savard is not making the team. He is not among the Top 2 or 3 offensive centers from Canada. You cannot roll out 4 scoring lines in the Olympics. You can afford to have a defensive liability on your Top 2 lines, if they can create like Savard can. Canada had better options at C on those Top 2 lines.

I have no doubt that down the line Savard will be a productive member of Team Canada, this just isn't his time.

GetPucksDeep

Oct 29, 2005
the other Duluth
golleafsgo_17 said:
Marc Savard is just on a super offensive team, there a lot of players more creative then him and most of his assits are 2nd assits where the puck just taps his stick

That's a pile.

Go to NHL.com.

Go to the Thrashers most recent game.

Watch the last game winning goal scored by Kovalchuk on a pass from Savard.

It's an unbelivable pass.

Now that's his most recent point from his most recent game. But he's been doing it all season long. And until two weeks ago, he wasn't centering Kovy at even strength, he was centering Hossa and Bondra. He was getting it done on both lines.

It's mind-blowing what a good playmaker he is. I keep hearing how there are 10 better centers than he in the NHL, but I don't see 10 centers ahead of him in the stat sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->