Why the Power Play woes?

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I am looking for a discussion of causes and areas that should be addressed. I will keep it simple:
1). Too predictable for far too long. We have run a 1-3-1 for years now with Wheeler on the half wall.
2). Too slow-when Wheeler gets the puck it he is far too slow and waiting for a lane to open up. This not how we cause chaos. Lanes rarely open up on their own.
3) Far too static-we need far more movement. This may confuse defenses and open up other opportunities to exploit.
4) Poorly planned and executed zone entries.
It might be an idea to deploy Ehlers on PP1.

Overall, over the last year, our power play has been very poorly coached. Changes to the entries, how personel are deployed and movement need significant adjustment.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Buff at the point helped alot , teams had to focus some attention towards Buff and even though i like Pionk and Morrissey neither are as dynamic as Buff . Buff also had a very good ability to keep the puck in the zone at the blue line .

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
#33 could hit the net and his passing to 29 and 26 without telegraphing is sorely missed.

But even when they could score, they still never gained the zone, so ......... Ehlers. On. First. Unit. Second unit needs a shooter, take Connor.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I agree with the OP for reasons why our PP struggles.

I feel like the Jets coaches are trying to force the strategy that worked for us over a year ago. Teams have the book on us. They basically protect the middle of the ice - clogging passes to Laine and Scheifele from Wheeler, and the power move from Connor at the side of the net to net front.

We have seen some success when Pionk QB's the PP up high, and shoots. I think he's plenty dynamic to do that. I think he should run one PP without Laine on it and give Laine that job on the other PP unit. Laine launching bombs from the point might not be his 'sweet spot' but he does have the shot to be effective there and it will spread out the PK allowing us to expose some seams down low for guys like Ehlers and Connor.

Until the PP becomes more adaptable, not only game to game, but in game, we will continue to struggle. We need to have 2 or 3 different setups and strategies, and adapt based off of what the oppositions PK gives us.

Unfortunately until the coaching staff realizes that we're not getting the low hanging fruit of Wheeler to Scheifele or Wheeler to Laine and we have to reimagine things, we won't be successful.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I agree with the OP for reasons why our PP struggles.

I feel like the Jets coaches are trying to force the strategy that worked for us over a year ago. Teams have the book on us. They basically protect the middle of the ice - clogging passes to Laine and Scheifele from Wheeler, and the power move from Connor at the side of the net to net front.

We have seen some success when Pionk QB's the PP up high, and shoots. I think he's plenty dynamic to do that. I think he should run one PP without Laine on it and give Laine that job on the other PP unit. Laine launching bombs from the point might not be his 'sweet spot' but he does have the shot to be effective there and it will spread out the PK allowing us to expose some seams down low for guys like Ehlers and Connor.

Until the PP becomes more adaptable, not only game to game, but in game, we will continue to struggle. We need to have 2 or 3 different setups and strategies, and adapt based off of what the oppositions PK gives us.

Unfortunately until the coaching staff realizes that we're not getting the low hanging fruit of Wheeler to Scheifele or Wheeler to Laine and we have to reimagine things, we won't be successful.
It incredible to me that changes can’t be made in a year when they should be made within a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad