Why the owners SHOULD honor the 04-05 contracts to get the rollback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Mr.Hunter74 said:
Man i hate the sounds of that, Dispersal draft. Yeah lets f**k over the rest of the league b/c a couple of teams didn't give a rats ass about the lockout and the fact theres gonna be a cap of some sort.

It hink they should negotiate a 1 time deal were teams are allowed to buyout or restructure deals so that they can fit under the cap. Its fair to the players and its fair to all the teams not just the ones looking to unload salary.

personally i agree... the MAJOR problem i have conceptually with the dispersal draft is that there are going to be players (Leclair) that simply do not contractually fit into the new world... there has to be a method to deal with those players. even players that still produce and make 10 million aren't going to be realistic in the new economic model.

i would like to see them either grandfather this system in so that chaos doesn't have to happen, or, as you and others (myself included) have suggested create some period of time where buy-outs, etc. can be done without affecting the teams cap number.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Jester said:
personally i agree... the MAJOR problem i have conceptually with the dispersal draft is that there are going to be players (Leclair) that simply do not contractually fit into the new world... there has to be a method to deal with those players. even players that still produce and make 10 million aren't going to be realistic in the new economic model.

i would like to see them either grandfather this system in so that chaos doesn't have to happen, or, as you and others (myself included) have suggested create some period of time where buy-outs, etc. can be done without affecting the teams cap number.

I still think a reverse auction might be the go, start at $9m and work down until they find a team and a value. First buyer in wins Leclair's services. Flyers pick up the salary difference between the auction price and the contract. Gap doesn't count against the salary cap. Only the auction price counts against the buyers cap, not the whole salary.

[bunch of rules preventing teams auctioning players from selling any more than is required to just get under the salary cap, sellers can't add new UFAs, blah blah blah etc]

Basically, just refloating Leclair's salary at the new, realisitic value, kind of like a share market adjustment. Leclair and Amonte still have value, just not what they are getting paid. I might be in out-there-somewhere-land but there are a few teams that might take a shot at Leclair, just not in the $3-4m+ range.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
NYR469 said:
imo the league has to give the players something major if they want the 04-05 contracts to expire and be let off the hook of $1b worth of salaries...

when yashin held out the league took him to court and argued that contracts were based on seasons NOT calender years and the court agreed forcing yashin to return to ottawa for 1 year, setting a legal precedence. now that the opposite benefits the league they are claiming that the contracts are based on calender dates, not seasons.

if the nhlpa takes the league to court over it, it will take any judge in the US about 15 minutes to rule in favor of the nhlpa because not only is their a legal precedence but that precedence was set based on what the nhl wanted, so they can't claim that it isn't fair now. it would be the ultimate slamdunk case...

i fully expect them to take care of these during negotations and one way or another the nhlpa will agree to not go to court over this, but the league is going to have to give them something for it. they can't expect to get everything they want and then have the nhlpa to rollover on this too (thats a LOT of $$)...

of course while they can make it part of the deal that the nhlpa agrees to not challenge this in court, neither the league nor nhlpa has any control over agents so a group like IMG could take the league to court on behalf of their clients. some might think that agents would rather have guys be free agents, but if this will cost them commission on the final year of those contracts that might be enough $$ for them to fight it...bottom line things will only get uglier lol

The Yashin arbitration decision has little to do with this question and offers no precedent.

1. It was an arbiter's (Lawrence Holden's) decision made under the dispute resolution mechanisms of the last CBA and not a court case. The only court case just upheld that arbitration according to the CBA was the correct venue and did not rule at all on the merits of the case. There is no legal precedent established by Yashin's non case, except possibly in other NHL arbitration cases.

2. The point that Holden ruled on was very narrow. He made no global rulings on whether contracts are for calendar years of playing years. All he did was rely on an obscure ruling made during the Zeigler/Stein era (which became part of the body of league rules and bylaws which accompany the CBA) which specifically dealt with players holding out and full performance of contracts. The previous rulings on which Holden's decision were based were pretty one sided in terms of performance - explicitly calling out the case of a holdout player.

As I said before, there is no legal precedent from Yashin and certainly no "Slam Dunk Case".

IMG could take this to court, but they would almoset certainly lose. Terms negotiated under a CBA are pretty much immune to challenge under anti-trust laws. So whatever the NHL and PA agree to in terms of contract aging (and unsigned draftees and RFAs and ...) is what will happen and it is very unlikely that a court would say otherwise - here there definitely is legal precedent (Clarett v NFL, Wood v NBA, and more).

Boilers*

Face Wash said:
Let me ask someone... anyone... Is there a Luxury Tax involved with this Salary Cap Agreement?

I think it's dollar for dollar over 38 mill.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Bloodsport said:
I think it's dollar for dollar over 38 mill.

Actually, upon doing some research... this is from LA Times Writer Helene Elliott:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olymp...62586.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-olympics

So, if you have a Luxury tax right in the middle of the floor and cap, why do you need a 24% rollback? And consequently, with a surge in free agents due to 04-05 contracts being cancelled, theoretically, the increase of free agents on the market would depress their value.

If the luxury tax IS in fact in the middle, it seems to me that the rollback is moot from the owners standpoint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad