Why Spezza isn't on the YoungStars Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
SpezNc said:
He is 20 yr old... In his first contracts.....

He got more points than Ruutu. And by a large margin..

There is something I'm missing?

except ruutu plays in the west, not the east :p

however, Derek Roy only has something like 5 points, and he made it...
it looks like they changed the rules for eligibility this year, so im sure we'll find out soon...

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
SpezNc said:
He is 20 yr old... In his first contracts.....

He got more points than Ruutu. And by a large margin..

There is something I'm missing?

Different conferences. As well, Ottawa has 3 players in the all-star game. Chicago had none I believe. Their just trying to keep everyone represented.

Hemsky isn't in the youngstars game either. He's playing pretty well for Edmonton.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
He should be there...my guess is that the NHL wanted at least 1 representative for each team...that's why guys like Ryan Malone and Derek Roy got picked before Spezza as the Sens already have 3 guys going to the All Star game.

Personally i think its a garbage decision. If i'm gonna watch the Young Stars game, i want to see the best young players period. I could care less who they play for...

Special Ed

Oct 9, 2002
C'ville PA
Visit site
Patty Roy said:
He should be there...my guess is that the NHL wanted at least 1 representative for each team...that's why guys like Ryan Malone and Derek Roy got picked before Spezza as the Sens already have 3 guys going to the All Star game.

Personally i think its a garbage decision. If i'm gonna watch the Young Stars game, i want to see the best young players period. I could care less who they play for...

Don't knock Malone getting in to the game... he's been very respectable this season and is in the top 5 in rookie scoring i believe... I can see the argument for Roy not being in there especially with his low GP.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
JDB3939 said:
For a guy that nearly made the big game it is almost a slap in the face to invite him to the YoungStars game.
I agree, and there could be an arguement for him to make the big All-Star game this year. Has Havlat ever been to an All-Star game?

Flyman

Jul 15, 2003
Hey folks,
Spezza isn't selected just because he isn't a rookie anymore! ;)

nordique

Patty Roy said:

True, but the Flyers have Roenick and Primeau going and that didn't keep Pitkanen out of the game, ditto New Jersey and Paul Martin...and Pittsburgh already has Orpik going.

Flyers dom NHL

Nov 27, 2003
pitkanen is straight up sick nasty and is in his first ever nhl year. out of anyone pitkanen has deserved to be there the most.

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
MissionHockey said:
I agree, and there could be an arguement for him to make the big All-Star game this year. Has Havlat ever been to an All-Star game?

I don't remember. But I do know 3 years ago Gagne made the All-Star game so he was not invited to the YoungStars game the next year even though he was qualified. I think when a player comes close to making the big game, it disqualifies them in a way for the YoungStars game.

Non rookies can play in the game. Aebischer played in last years game and he was not a rookie. Bouchard is playing in this years game and he played in the NHL last season.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
JDB3939 said:
For a guy that nearly made the big game it is almost a slap in the face to invite him to the YoungStars game.

No offense, but there are a lot of players who would have been selected ahead of Spezza. Nothing against, the guy, but he didn't almost make the team.

AEKaki

nordique said:
True, but the Flyers have Roenick and Primeau going and that didn't keep Pitkanen out of the game, ditto New Jersey and Paul Martin...and Pittsburgh already has Orpik going.

Yeah Malone did deserve going. Orpik is our best defenceman, the NHL recognized that. Also, Konstantin Koltsov deserved to go over Roy, but did others like Spezza.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
luongofan said:
Must have been columnists in Ottawa.

Spezza is the 6th highest scoring center in the East, and is top 40 in scoring, so he wasn't FAR from making it. I would also say he wasn't close, because you would have to be doing something REALLY special to become the 4th Ottawa selection to the game.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Egil said:
Spezza is the 6th highest scoring center in the East, and is top 40 in scoring, so he wasn't FAR from making it. I would also say he wasn't close, because you would have to be doing something REALLY special to become the 4th Ottawa selection to the game.

I agree. Even if Ottawa didn't have 4 selections, there were other, more qualified players available ( like Primeau :dunno: ).

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Tophu said:
Don't knock Malone getting in to the game... he's been very respectable this season and is in the top 5 in rookie scoring i believe... I can see the argument for Roy not being in there especially with his low GP.

I can see an argument for sending Roy if you've been able to see him play regularly. Though I don't think either player should have kept Spezza from being on the team. I wonder if he declined an invitation.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Yeah i was a little surprised not to see Spezza named to the game, but there must be a decent reason for it. I am more shocked that Hejduk didn't make the big game, but oh well. Oh btw why didn't Rick Nash make the Young Gunz game (j/k)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
SPEZZA NOT NEEDED: Muckler insisted again yesterday, as he did on the weekend, that sophomore C Jason Spezza wasn't overlooked when it came to selecting the players to participate in the YoungStars Game at all-star weekend. Spezza said he was disappointed not to be going when informed of the selections Saturday night, but Muckler said Spezza would only be invited if the lineup couldn't be filled with first-year players. Priority was also given to players on teams who hadn't had anyone selected for the all-star game, said Muckler. NHL VP Colin Campbell asked -- through Muckler -- if Spezza would play in the YoungStars Game if there weren't enough first-year players and Spezza said he would. "He was appreciated for the fact he'd play in the game, but he wasn't needed," said Muckler.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040127/nhl_ott2-sun.html

&

RAGIN' STAJAN?

NHL officials yesterday admitted Matt Stajan certainly was deserving of a berth in the coming YoungStars game.

But the league yesterday explained that Stajan's omission was partially because of the fact that the Leafs will be represented by Quinn, captain Mats Sundin and winger Gary Roberts at the all-star game, which will be held the next day.

Because certain teams such as the Buffalo Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim have no players in the all-star game, officials attempted to make sure those clubs were represented in the YoungStars tilt.

According to the NHL's explanation, that is why a guy such as Sabres rookie Derek Roy, who has two goals and four assists in 19 games, is going while Stajan sits at home.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Is it any surprise that the NHL has its head up its a$$. They couldn't market water in a desert.

Only the NHL would make sure that they don't send their best and most exciting players to the allstar game. senior or young guns.
All of the other leagues actually make exceptions to get the most hyped, best players etcetc in prime time. Not the NHL!
hmmm...Spezza or Malone? hmmmmm....Roy or Stajan?? hmmmmmm
sooooo ridiculous.....

The NHL is a joke. Thank God the hockey's such a great game, its able to withstand morons running the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad