Why retooling is the best option for the Habs

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I'm looking at:

1LD: 19 year old rookie defenseman - 1RD: declining, destroyed foot
2LD: 21 year old rookie defenseman - 2RD: can't open jars, skate, pass, shoot, or defend
3LD: 24 year old trade deadline question mark - 3RD: Best known for being Jamie Benn's brother

Looks bad.

Maybe our number one LD will actually get an actual sniff of a goal next yr. Right now all people can say about Mete is he wasnt completely in over his head. Other than that, he showed nothing that leads you to believe he is top two.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Maybe our number one LD will actually get an actual sniff of a goal next yr. Right now all people can say about Mete is he wasnt completely in over his head. Other than that, he showed nothing that leads you to believe he is top two.

Yeah, I don't think Mete will ever be a top pairing defenseman. I think he becomes a good #4 who can move the puck and skate well, while making smart plays.

I'd be pretty happy if he delivered on that on most nights while contributing around 25 points a year.

Last edited:

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
"Not that bad" is not the same as "highly possible". I'm sorry but your words are misleading.

Same caveat with John Tavares or with this team competing with Toronto. You can't orchestrate that type of turnaround in one summer when the organization has cratered on so many levels. And certainly not with this management contingent continuing unfettered.
We don't even have to guess our odds... that's what amazes me. Everyone keeps saying we have a good chance. We do not. We literally have less than 10% chance to get it done (assuming it's not rigged).

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
WTF is this thread :laugh:
People thinking we can fit Tavares, Stastny/ROR under the cap for X amount of years with ease. People thinking we are a legit top contender by adding those players, winning the lottery and going with Weber, Dahlin, Mete and Petry as our top 4 dmen.
It's just not happening.
I know it sucks not making the playoffs, but they should be the last thing on our minds right now, this team needs a complete overhaul.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Would we not become a solid team if the centre position was address and we added Tavares and say O'Reilly?
Of course we would be better, so would Edmonton.
Any team in the NHL would improve significantly if you add an elite top center and a 1B center. Is that supposed to be an argument?
And even if we add those two very good players, we would still need help on defense.

This Habs team isn't close to being fixed.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What was phenomenal is how the Habs were so desperate for someone to help cover for Bergevin's gutting of the whole left side of the D, that they were willing to burn a year of ELC instead of letting the kid just play in the juniors. Yet another nail in the coffin of "no one will ever complain if you leave a prospect in the juniors an extra year" axiom, that Bergevin was so proud of endorsing.
Ya for someone that keeps saying how he doesn't want to sacrifice the future..

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's such BS because that's the only example anyone comes to. What about the other success stories. They say tanking is not guaranteed but let me tell you this "Retool" bullsh*t we keep doing IS a GUARANTF***CKINGTY not going to work.
Now suddenly our D is good? Oh my I can't even. Everyone always says Habs fans are the most knowledgeable but I've come to realize that when it comes to the Habs the average fan is completely delusional.
Edmonton you could argue is not far away. A couple role players and they could go big. Heck they did it last year.
Montreal is not close to being a contender. And our farm system is the worst in the league. We have nothing coming of any real value except Poehling.
Yes, somehow retooling means we would successfully do it, and rebuilding means we would be at the bottom of the league forever. Quite the paradox.
Habs are far away.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
From the scholars behind "Relax Habs fans, it's not as bad as it seems".

giphy.gif

The Habs also have Noah Juulsen and Brett Lernout on the verge of breaking into the league, as well as prospects Cale Fleury and Josh Brook in the pipe line. Add all of these pieces to a group lead by future hall of fame rear guard Shea Weber, the Canadiens defence is set for years to come.
as well as Michael McCarron who could possibly crack the line up next year

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
This was stolen from MB's year end interview with Molson, the writer just deleted all references to attitude and character

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Michael McCarron could possible crack the line up next year. How is that something to look forward to? Anybody here really think he ends up being anything more than an average 4c? I don't even think he becomes that.

We need to summon our inner Michael Busto to fully appreciate the impact of that statement.

Reactions: Mathletic

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
We don't even have to guess our odds... that's what amazes me. Everyone keeps saying we have a good chance. We do not. We literally have less than 10% chance to get it done (assuming it's not rigged).

Which is only a 9% chances less then buffalo. Again, New Jersey got Hischer sitting in the same position.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
Yes, somehow retooling means we would successfully do it, and rebuilding means we would be at the bottom of the league forever. Quite the paradox.
Habs are far away.

Not at all what was said. You’re reaching. We could rebuild, and end up being like a Chicago. We could also rebuild like multiple teams have been doing for years and not win the cup. All I said was that it’s possible a rebuild fails as well. Then what?

I can’t understand how people can actually think that signing Tavares and/or trading for a centreman is a bad idea. It blows my mind.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
Michael McCarron could possible crack the line up next year. How is that something to look forward to? Anybody here really think he ends up being anything more than an average 4c? I don't even think he becomes that.

He was only mentioned as another guy who could potentially crack the line up. No one said he’s going to come in, be the top centre and score 100 points. Agreed that McCarron doesn’t look like anything more than a 4th line centre now.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
If I need to look forward to the likes of McCarron "cracking" the lineup, I want to know if there is an option to buy the improved food separately without having to purchase a ticket for the game.

Again, That’s literally one thing said in the whole article. Just making a point it’s another prospect that could potentially challenge for a roster spot. No one ever said he would score 100 points and be the saviour

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I almost can't continue reading after ''chronic fatigue.''

How gullible must one be in order to be a sports writer?

Our defence group is

S E R V I C E A B L E
E
R
V
I
C
E
A
B
L
E

Is that what one calls ''one injury away from the worst goddamn defence group you've ever seen''?

Depth on the wings. He names our - league worst - number 1 center as depth on the wings.

Here's the thing, buddy, and I hope you actually use this criticism. You can't just name players on our roster, or prospect pool and say that you think they're serviceable, or good, and that we're therefore ''deep'' at that position. You can say that about literally any team. The point behind a rebuild, or a retool, is not to put us back into the playoffs and drafting 25th again. The point is to build a contender - a team to be feared. To do that, not only do our players have to be ''serviceable,'' not only do our wings have to be ''deep,'' but we have to be more serviceable, and deeper than the rest of the league.

Absent such a comparison, this article is completely worthless.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
I want to ask you, why aren't you for a rebuild?

Because of exactly what I said in the article. I believe that we have the pieces to become a legit contender IF we add the centres. Having a top 5 pick this year brings in another top player to help the offence as well. We have a good trade chip in Max Pacioretty who should bring in a significant piece for the Habs and they have a chance to sign John Tavares. If the centre position isn’t addressed, then yes the team will fail again and Bergevin will be let go. But Price and Weber are both signed long term, and we should try to win with them now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad