Why retooling is the best option for the Habs

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Re-tooling now would be stupid, as we simply have too many holes (no centers, no LHDs). Our window got crushed in the summer of 2016 when Subban and Eller were traded. We lost the heart of the team, and the only decent center we had (Plekanec proved he was done that year, and should have been traded at the deadline but MB extended him for a stupid amount of money). MB possibly did worse in 2017 by trading Sergachev and failing to re-sign Radulov. We added another left-handed winger in Drouin (last thing this team needs), lost the player that could have been our first-pairing LHD for years, and also lost the only player that could replace Subban's desire to win and his world-class talent. This team is a complete mess. It needs a rebuild to ever hope to be competitive for the cup again. A talented GM could possibly built the team through smart trades and FA signing, but even the best GM would face a difficult road starting with the current team, and MB is obviously not the guy for the job (and from what I have seen, so is Molson). Smart management would realize that they have great older assets (Price, Weber, and Pacioretty) that they could trade for younger assets, and that the moment to do it is now, as assets will depreciate (again, see Plekanec). We could build something interesting around Poehling, our 1st-round pick this year, and our next 1st-round picks in the subsequent years. Add this core to Galchenyuk, Drouin, Gallagher, Mete, Juulsen, and Primeau (all good but complimentary players) and you could have a strong team in a few years. Trading the big three would not only return assets that could be part of this new young core, but also ensure that the team finishes near the bottom in the next few years and draft near the top. This is not rocket science. If we don't start the re-build process this year, we are just delaying the inevitable, and making the process harder down the road, as our key assets will have lost their value.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Our window has passed. Forget re-tooling and start rebuilding. If we were going to go for it, it should've happened last summer. Instead we had the worst offseason that I can remember. We had our shot and we blew it.

Scrap everything and start over...

So the window was this past year, but now it's closed.... ? No I'm sorry. We can't win anything if Cary Price plays like he did this past season... nothing... there was no window and is no window until we figure out who our goalie is.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Re-tooling now would be stupid, as we simply have too many holes (no centers, no LHDs). Our window got crushed in the summer of 2016 when Subban and Eller were traded. We lost the heart of the team, and the only decent center we had (Plekanec proved he was done that year, and should have been traded at the deadline but MB extended him for a stupid amount of money). MB possibly did worse in 2017 by trading Sergachev and failing to re-sign Radulov. We added another left-handed winger in Drouin (last thing this team needs), lost the player that could have been our first-pairing LHD for years, and also lost the only player that could replace Subban's desire to win and his world-class talent. This team is a complete mess. It needs a rebuild to ever hope to be competitive for the cup again. A talented GM could possibly built the team through smart trades and FA signing, but even the best GM would face a difficult road starting with the current team, and MB is obviously not the guy for the job (and from what I have seen, so is Molson). Smart management would realize that they have great older assets (Price, Weber, and Pacioretty) that they could trade for younger assets, and that the moment to do it is now, as assets will depreciate (again, see Plekanec). We could build something interesting around Poehling, our 1st-round pick this year, and our next 1st-round picks in the subsequent years. Add this core to Galchenyuk, Drouin, Gallagher, Mete, Juulsen, and Primeau (all good but complimentary players) and you could have a strong team in a few years. Trading the big three would not only return assets that could be part of this new young core, but also ensure that the team finishes near the bottom in the next few years and draft near the top. This is not rocket science. If we don't start the re-build process this year, we are just delaying the inevitable, and making the process harder down the road, as our key assets will have lost their value.
I like the way you think:yo:

Reactions: habsgirl5000

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
The team has a very young group of forwards and pretty good depth at wing. There are big holes in the line-up at LHD, C and maybe at G. Avoid long contracts to older players, don't give up futures and keep drafting and acquiring extra picks when possible. This team needs a serious influx of skilled players, but that will take time. If I'm Molson I'm telling fans to brace themselves for another long season or two...

Reactions: Frank JT

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I'm confused:

Eller is a 3rd line C. They're a dime a dozen. Danault is adequate in the role and cheaper. The problem is and has always been not getting a legit C. Eller, plekanec, Danault, Desharnais, etc... are not. Hell, Koivu wasn't, Lang wasn't, Grabovski wasn't. List goes on, a failure to get a top C has f***ed this team for decades.

You say a left handed winger is last thing team needs but then complain we didn't keep Radulov...a left handed winger.

I don't know if the term on Price is tradeable and if not we're in limbo. We're kind of at end of our window unless a drastic genius retool is made. I don't see it happening.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
So the window was this past year, but now it's closed.... ? No I'm sorry. We can't win anything if Cary Price plays like he did this past season... nothing... there was no window and is no window until we figure out who our goalie is.

The Cup window should have been fine 2 years ago:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
X - Plekanec/Eller - X
Byron - Eller/Plekanec/Danault - Andrighetto
X/Mitchell - Danault - X
Possible X players: Radulov, Hudon, Lehkonen, DLR (4th line though), UFAs/trades

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Petry
X - Pateryn
Possible X players: Sergachev, Mete, UFAs

Price, Montoya, Lindgren

That team had much less holes and had a stronger center line. You could have groomed Sergachev with the help of General Markov. With hindsight, Galchenyuk had a strong start with Radulov and Pacioretty. Now we're stucked with many bad players on bad contracts.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I'm confused:

Eller is a 3rd line C. They're a dime a dozen. Danault is adequate in the role and cheaper. The problem is and has always been not getting a legit C. Eller, plekanec, Danault, Desharnais, etc... are not. Hell, Koivu wasn't, Lang wasn't, Grabovski wasn't. List goes on, a failure to get a top C has ****ed this team for decades.

You say a left handed winger is last thing team needs but then complain we didn't keep Radulov...a left handed winger.

I don't know if the term on Price is tradeable and if not we're in limbo. We're kind of at end of our window unless a drastic genius retool is made. I don't see it happening.

Eller is obviously not Tavares, but he was the best we had. Two years after trading him, we have still have not replaced him (Danault is not better than Eller IMO). We were not in any position to get rid of a 6'2" center in the prime of his career. Radulov is special; you just don't lose this type of player for any reason. Plus he prefer playing on the other wing, so he was not taking Pacioretty, Galchenyuk or Lekhonen's spot. Price is obviously tradable, for a significant return as well. Maybe we keep some salary in the deal, but only on HFboards can you find people doubting the value of Price in the league.

Reactions: lo striver

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Where is the puke emoticon?

puke.gif

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I'm confused:

Eller is a 3rd line C. They're a dime a dozen. Danault is adequate in the role and cheaper. The problem is and has always been not getting a legit C. Eller, plekanec, Danault, Desharnais, etc... are not. Hell, Koivu wasn't, Lang wasn't, Grabovski wasn't. List goes on, a failure to get a top C has ****ed this team for decades.

The dime a dozen player just scored the overtime goal for Washington. But I guess we don't need him. After all, we have Danault and De la Rose, and we could easily resign Plekanec, so we're fine.

Reactions: Runner77

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Coming in this thread all cool ready for some Re-Tooling talk.

Lars Eller? The f*** are you doing here?

Why won't you just fade away Larry. WHY? Why do we still talk about Lars Eller.

He scored 18 goals this year, all of them in one game probably then does nothing for 81 games.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The dime a dozen player just scored the overtime goal for Washington. But I guess we don't need him. After all, we have Danault and De la Rose, and we could easily resign Plekanec, so we're fine.

I think you've missed the point. Eller is a 3rd liner. If the team crumbled by trading a 3rd liner then we're f***ed, sorry. Danault can play that role. We need a #1C and a #2C. if we play Galchenyuk as a #1B or #2, we still need a #1. Unless you think Eller is that, why bother?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Lars Eller? The **** are you doing here?

He scored 18 goals this year, all of them in one game probably then does nothing for 81 games.

I mean, nothing wrong with Eller but I thought we're looking to plug holes, not give us more 3rd liners. So I'm with you, he isn't a bad player just not consistent or skilled enough to be a top 6, let alone a #1 which we're looking for.

I'd rather lose and get top picks than patch with 3rd liners.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Lars Eller? The **** are you doing here?

1. Galchenyuk had Jacob delaRose as C...
2. Byron was used as a C...
3. Torey MItchell even centered Galchenyuk for a few games...
4. 18 goals would put him 2nd or 3rd on the Habs
5. Habs have yet to draft a C with as much or more upside since he left
6. Habs had to convert a LW to C for the top 6.
7. Eller would be the Habs biggest C
8. Habs had to pay 6M for their 3rd line C as opposed to Eller 3.5
9. 8.5M Cap Space to start last season, more than enough for Eller's cap hit

the real question is WHEN will Habs have a good enough group of forwards for people not to bother mentionning 3rd line C Lars Eller ?

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

this is the best post i have ever seen on this site......agree 100% with everything :vhappy:

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

the real question is WHEN will Habs have a good enough group of forwards for people not to bother mentionning 3rd line C Lars Eller ?

people don't seem to realize it, but trading Eller was one of MB's biggest mistakes

Reactions: Runner77

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

But it's not the only reason for me....it's part of the failure of MB.

2 x 2nd round pick for Eller sounds good and it is. But where the Habs were back then it was terrible. We got nothing back. No NHL player for at least 3 to 4 years (And that's not sure at all). OF course if this team had a load of center it's fine, but that wasn't the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad