Why players wont accept a cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

Buffaloed said:
Bill Wirtz was spared trial for conspiring with Alan Eagleson due to the expiration of the statute of limitations on the RICO statutes. Jeremy Jacobs changed the name of his company from Emprise to Delaware North after it was convicted of racketeering and a journalist reporting on it was murdered. No reason not to trust these guys. :D
He avoided the civil RICO case on technical grounds filed by Dave Forbes, Brad Park, Ulf Nilsson, Rick Middleton, and Doug Smail on behalf of former NHL'ers.
http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/Articles 2001/NHLPlayersLose.htm

In the criminal investigation according to FBI Agent-in-Charge Tim Daly (as reported by Russ Conway), Wirtz and Ziegler were granted immunity in return for providing testimony against Eagleson.

Wetcoaster

Biggest Canuck Fan said:
Now I totally whole heartedly agree with this whole post, and the above comment. The problem is if they idiot proof the Owners, the are now in collusion and thus the players are going to sue.

The owners, and the NHL are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Keeping to a budget is not collusion.

Wetcoaster

SuperKarateMonkey said:
if you dont let idiots into your business, whos going to buy the teams? smart businessmen dont usually invest into an industry that have a long history of losing money. the nhl need these idiots :joker:
i also dont see how a cap will limit players earning ability. for example, if crosby comes into the league and score 100G 200A and 300P, he can still demand $15M or $20M, can he not? he can still goto arbitration to get the 'market value' right? or he can still hold out and force the team to either sign him to his demand or trade him?

Maybe you missed it - the owners want to eliminate arbitration as well.

So you take what is offered until you turn 31.

myrocketsgotcracked

Wetcoaster said:

the owners wants alot of things, i doubt they'll get every single one of them. to think the owners will get a cap, UFA at 31, no arbitrations for players, and whatever else they demand all under the next cba is wishful thinking.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
SuperKarateMonkey said:
the owners wants alot of things, i doubt they'll get every single one of them. to think the owners will get a cap, UFA at 31, no arbitrations for players, and whatever else they demand all under the next cba is wishful thinking.

What? We haven't heard the owner's best offer? What are they waiting for? Are they operating on a different calendar than we are?

If they have not put their best foot forward at this point, when?

Tom

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Wetcoaster said:

God, you never give up, do you? All players without arbitration rights have just been blindly accepting their QO's for the past ten years? No negotiation, players just trudge up in their rags and say "Please sir, can I have some more?"

Of course not. If they don't like what is offered, they ask for more. And they get it, if they deserve it.

quat said:
Hey... this is the second time I've read you quoting Burke.

No kidding. In one thread, WC thinks Burke is the anti-christ, a blowhard who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. In the next thread, he's an astute insider with a valued opinion needed to "prove" his arguments.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Tom_Benjamin said:
No, I'm Tom Benjamin. Thinking I might be Trevor is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about me. Thanks.

Tom

Not much to be happy about these days, so I'm glad my faux pas brightened someones day ;)

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
PecaFan said:
God, you never give up, do you? All players without arbitration rights have just been blindly accepting their QO's for the past ten years? No negotiation, players just trudge up in their rags and say "Please sir, can I have some more?"

Of course not. If they don't like what is offered, they ask for more. And they get it, if they deserve it.

No kidding. In one thread, WC thinks Burke is the anti-christ, a blowhard who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. In the next thread, he's an astute insider with a valued opinion needed to "prove" his arguments.

It seems to Wetcoaster, Burke is everything. You know... like his God.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
PecaFan said:

What WC thinks is far less interesting than the substance of what Burke said. I think everyone will agree that he has been a strong supporter of the NHL position.

Until now. What does that say about the NHL position? I wonder if any of the owners are thinking the same things Burke said out loud.

Tom

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Tom_Benjamin said:
What WC thinks is far less interesting than the substance of what Burke said. I think everyone will agree that he has been a strong supporter of the NHL position.

Until now. What does that say about the NHL position? I wonder if any of the owners are thinking the same things Burke said out loud.

Tom

It says that what NHL wants is best for the league, providing a whole season isn't lost. How do you convince players, who made out like bandits during the last negotiation, that this time is different? They have two options. Length of lockout and an "unreasonably" firm (according to Burke), stance on the kind of cost certainty they are after. They PA did too well in the last contract dispute not to trust the guy that got them such a sweet deal. I suppose it is still possible that the Owners will once again cave.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Tom_Benjamin said:
I think everyone will agree that he has been a strong supporter of the NHL position. Until now.

Hardly. Burke has *always* been a moderate in this. He started out in September or whatever it was by proposing a luxury tax with significant revenue sharing, something the NHL has always said it would never accept.

He was *never* on the owner's "hard cap" side. There's no revelation here, there's no "changing positions" or sides.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
quat said:
It says that what NHL wants is best for the league, providing a whole season isn't lost.

Well, it is lost.

How do you convince players, who made out like bandits during the last negotiation, that this time is different?

I think they are convinced it is different. Last time the league negotiated with the players. This time they haven't. Fair enough. The NHLPA isn't going to take something they don't perceive as being fair. They have been unreasonably firm. It has not got the players to move one inch closer to their position.

Now what does the NHL do?

Tom

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Tom_Benjamin said:

He was still talking about linkage aka cost certainty, which is still the core of the NHLs offers.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
wazee said:
What does the NHLPA do now?

Nothing. The players will play in the WHA tourney and the World Championships, and sign more European contracts. They've lost a season's salary. They don't lose any more until next October.

At some point, I expect the NHLPA to break off all talks until next September. There's no benefit to the NHLPA to negotiate anything before then.

Tom

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
The problem I have with the cap is this. Say in a few years from now. Owners are starting to make some higher profits and know that they don't have to worry about payroll because it is always at a constant. So they decide to raise their ticket prices to increase their profit even more. How is this fair to the players that the owners profits go sky high and it being absolutley impossible to get a cut of the new revenues.

SENSible1*

richardn said:
The problem I have with the cap is this. Say in a few years from now. Owners are starting to make some higher profits and know that they don't have to worry about payroll because it is always at a constant. So they decide to raise their ticket prices to increase their profit even more. How is this fair to the players that the owners profits go sky high and it being absolutley impossible to get a cut of the new revenues.

The players are being offered a % of revenues.

If the ticket prices go up, the players would get 54% of the increase.

Brent Burns Beard