Why not just tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southpole12

Jan 6, 2010
I am a long time ranger fan, 25 years to be exact and I am 34 lol. We are not going anywhere this season as much as I wish that was not the case. To have a chance to land hughes in the lottery and then pick up Panarin. Kravtsov coming over and shestorkin coming to be the backup, we would stand well in the contender spot. Heck Pittsburgh did it, why not us?

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

ThurmNYY

Jan 25, 2007
The Lost City
nysportsboard.com
I doubt they will be able to get away with a complete tank job for the entire season. Ranger fans will not tolerate paying $200.00 a game on average to watch a team lay down.
Management sold it as a fast track rebuild but judging by the caliber of players we have I do not anticipate nothing quick about this rebuild.
But then again management had no issue with charging the price they have to put the team on the ice the last 3 seasons or at any point in their history.
They knew going into last year that they were going to do what they did and they still sold us that they were going for it. Empty seats is the only way to get through to management on this team but unfortunately that does not happen at the Garden.
I have been a fan for over 53 years and had seasons for over 30 years and the garden was full of diehards. Now the entire lower bowl is corporate seats where more often then not are filled with people who are there because they got free tickets from their company. My point being is the most expensive seats in the house are all sold and taken care of so it would be hard to hit the team in the wallet. It also being Manhattan ensures the building will be mostly full on any given night regardless of how the team performs. It certainly did not hurt for the most part during the 7 year playoff drought.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Yep just have coach Q to tell the players to lose on purpose, it's not like their performance will have any effect on their future earnings.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I am a long time ranger fan, 25 years to be exact and I am 34 lol. We are not going anywhere this season as much as I wish that was not the case. To have a chance to land hughes in the lottery and then pick up Panarin. Kravtsov coming over and shestorkin coming to be the backup, we would stand well in the contender spot. Heck Pittsburgh did it, why not us?
What would you consider just tanking? I think they've done about as much as is reasonably possible without putting a complete garbage product on the ice. They're going to be near the bottom of the standings as is, and even finishing dead last doesn't give you all that great odds at 1OA anymore.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Management tanks. Not the coaching staff or players.

All coaches and players try hard to win every game.

I agree with Edge's post 100%. The Rangers will not pull a '14-'15 Sabres.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Players play for contracts. Stats matter. Go tell them they need to screw up, dial back the passion and tank. Teams generally don't go on the rink with the intention to lose, maybe some fans want that, but generally the organization doesn't attempt that, even during a rebuild. That's bad sportsmanship, and if I were in charge of the league and could factually prove a team was doing that, I'd take their lottery shot away from them. Can more be done to help the bottom teams, perhaps, but they shouldn't be handed future success by tanking on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad