~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Okay no Crosby but I've got an:
Everett Sannipas
Scott Pellerin
Roland Melanson
Mike Eagles
and in the future
Luc Bourdon
and others that I've had too much Alpine to remember ;)

there were some Islanders and NBer's in my original list but i certainly forgot the most honourable Rollie the Goalie and Sannipas... Pellerin too. i had eagles though, apparently his son can play a little too... who knows? maybe the caps (or should i say the moustache/guzzlers) will be looking for a tenacious checker in 2010/11

GSC2k2*

Seriously

Al MacInnis was one of the best NHL defenseman of all time. He is from Nova Scotia. Pittsburgh has never produced an NHL defenseman that I can recall without thinking too much. That means that Nova Scotia fans, using standard financial accounting practices, have an intrinsic value of at least 10,000 times of that of Pittsburgh fans so the "hockey value" of a Halifax fan means the hockey population of Nova Scotia is at least 9.42 billion people. 9.42 billion people can support an NHL franchise:teach:

To my knowledge there is at least one Korean player in the NHL. Korea has a team that competes at the international level. I have never seen Las Vegas at any international tournament. Esa Tikkanen coached and played for a team in the Seoul suburb of Anyang. If my expert hockey fan value calculations are correct, which they always are, Korea has a fan value of 1 person equal to one hockey fan. Now if we extend the metro area of Seoul to 20,000 sq km (same size as Vegas's 1.7 million people city) there are about 60,000,000 people in Seoul. I think that the NHL should expand there, if Vegas can support a team with 1.7 million then Seoul can support 35.29 teams with their population. We should round that number to 23 since about 20,000,000 of those people are in North Korea and you have to be a really big fan to run a border with 2 million soldiers and a bunch of land mines.

Anywho as you can Seriously see the NHL should create a Korea division of 23 teams.

:biglaugh: :clap: :clap:

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
To my knowledge there is at least one Korean player in the NHL. Korea has a team that competes at the international level. I have never seen Las Vegas at any international tournament. Esa Tikkanen coached and played for a team in the Seoul suburb of Anyang. If my expert hockey fan value calculations are correct, which they always are, Korea has a fan value of 1 person equal to one hockey fan. Now if we extend the metro area of Seoul to 20,000 sq km (same size as Vegas's 1.7 million people city) there are about 60,000,000 people in Seoul. I think that the NHL should expand there, if Vegas can support a team with 1.7 million then Seoul can support 35.29 teams with their population. We should round that number to 23 since about 20,000,000 of those people are in North Korea and you have to be a really big fan to run a border with 2 million soldiers and a bunch of land mines.

Anywho as you can Seriously see the NHL should create a Korea division of 23 teams.
This is ridiculous. I can't believe I'm wasting my time with nonsense like this.

Any fool can plainly see you'll need at least 24 teams. Otherwise, the divisions will be unbalanced. :dunno:

Honestly, man, try and put some thought into this.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Look the only way this is gonna work is get rid of the tourist trap at the Amherst border. Send the piper back to Glace Bay.
Build a 50,000 seat arena. With 1,000 luxury boxes. Half in NB and half in NS designate one end as "property" of PEI.
This would keep NS happy as it's in Amherst NS. NBers would have to endure the extra 45 minute drive past Moncton but if you get a Loyalist Town Crier to announce the starting line-up and get Acadieman to be the PA guy (no need for repeating everything twice in both languages Acadieman speaks Moncton French...so it's already half and half) you can sell it!
The jumbotron facing the NS side could have Rita McNeil videos during stoppages. The Island side could have Stompin Tom and the NB side could have half US stars and half Quebec stars. The anthem will always be Roger Doucet's bilingual version. Unless a member of the McIssac family is outta work or the band Dix-sept-cinquante-cinq has another reunion.
The helmets of the team would be in NS tarten. Socks would feature the Acadian flag and pants would be in Anne of Green Gables. Sweaters would feature the Union Jack for Loyalist descendants with the St Andrew cross and the NB gallion featured with a potato blossom in the logo.Skates would have to be in a beaded Mi'kmag moccasin motif.
The arena would be named the McCain/Irving/Sobeys/Moosehead Entertainment Centre sponsored by Atlantic Loto.
The team name will be Pecheurs Maritime Fisherman.
Yeah that's it build a honkin big arena in Amherst NS.

Last edited:

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
My god man... you've figured it out...

I think you may be the one to unite the maritime provinces into the next superpower...

screw the yanks, and the chinese... the next superpower will be the maritime provinces...:teach:

we'll take over... first we should sack toronto... i know it's not a capital or anything... just an easy target. everyone will be speaking a hybrid language of moncton french/southshore NS draw/cape breton whatever that is bye/tignishian... it's just a matter of time.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Okay this is an attempt to be serious.
In this mornings Times & Transcript on the front page, no less.
The city of Moncton along with Dieppe and Riverview has released an poll carried out by Omnifacts. The question was "Would you be in favour of a new 10-12,000 seat arena in the downtown?" Well..duh....the answer was yes at 89%. So based on this poll the 3 municipalities will include costs in their 5 year capital expenditure budgets to see if this can be done.
They had to spend money on a poll .....because.....
Anyways it'll be 10 years before we see anything. Nothing to do with the thread but like, I had to put it some where. :dunno:
Todays T&T can be found at www.canadaeast.com

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Seriously

Al MacInnis was one of the best NHL defenseman of all time. He is from Nova Scotia. Pittsburgh has never produced an NHL defenseman that I can recall without thinking too much. That means that Nova Scotia fans, using standard financial accounting practices, have an intrinsic value of at least 10,000 times of that of Pittsburgh fans so the "hockey value" of a Halifax fan means the hockey population of Nova Scotia is at least 9.42 billion people. 9.42 billion people can support an NHL franchise:teach:

This is seriously the most Pejorative Slured argument I've ever heard. Playing hockey and supporting hockey are two very different things. Pittsburgh has 3 native sons in the NHL(Ryan Malone, R.J. Umberger, and Bill Thomas) right now, is sitting at around a dozen consecutive sellouts, and has the best television ratings in the United States. I'm sure East Bum****, New Brunswick is going to top that.

Pittsburgh is a huge hockey market, as much as you may not want to accept that fact.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
This is seriously the most Pejorative Slured argument I've ever heard. Playing hockey and supporting hockey are two very different things. Pittsburgh has 3 native sons in the NHL(Ryan Malone, R.J. Umberger, and Bill Thomas) right now, is sitting at around a dozen consecutive sellouts, and has the best television ratings in the United States. I'm sure East Bum****, New Brunswick is going to top that.

Pittsburgh is a huge hockey market, as much as you may not want to accept that fact.

Mo dizzle, you actually took him serious??

RavenX

Jul 3, 2004
Cape Breton
halifax>moncton

sorry monctonians...

its
historic properties/waterfront, pizza corner, great night life, good live music

versus

magnetic hill, magic mountain, the Cosmo and very dingy strip joints...

Hurts me to think that you pretty much wrapped up Halifax and Moncton.

RavenX

Jul 3, 2004
Cape Breton
No love for donairs and lack of respect for a classy joint like Angie's??

haha Angie's, that brings back some memories...

But with all seriousness, I doubt Halifax could bring out enough fans to make a NHL franchise possible. If I recall, when the Mooseheads when they were struggling, the attendance dropped dramatically. You would probably need 14000-16000 people per night at least. In the atlantic region, it would be unrealistic to think they could get that many fans per night on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB

You're right HHOF member and 2 time 1st team all-star, 1 time 2nd team all-star. Lady Byng winner AND League Scoring title winner tops it...Gordie Drillion! Also Gordie Howes brother spent his career in Moncton, with CN in (I'll correct you) South-East Butt Crack New/Nouveau Brunswick. Don't they teach geography in the rust belt.
Also poutine rapée and Parlee Beach tops anything Halifax has.
EDIT:
I forgot I'm claiming Ryan Malone under the Butt Crack New Brunswick "seed" RULE.
His father is from Miramichi NB. He just happened to be playing for the Pens when Ryan was born. But since Ryan spent much of his life playing ball and fishing salmon on the Miramichi and he breathed good Miramichi air he's an NB'er.

Last edited:

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
Why do so many people not realize that the NHL is a business and not a parade down Main Street? Halifax will not get a team because it's "nice" or "passionate." It needs "people" and "money" first (relatively speaking).

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
You guys have all forgoten the best reason why Halifax should have an NHL team. They might get the 2014 Commonwealth Games!! We all know that means alot of money is going to be spent on sports facilities. No doubt that track and field stadium is going to make a great hockey market even better. I think it will even help us get people to make the trip from Newfoundland and parts of Quebec. Plus there will be new rugby fields. We all know that since Rugby and Hockey are contact sports that this is going to make even more people like hockey and spend $100 on a ticket.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
The current 2014 Commonwealth Games plans for the Halifax bid, as far as I know, do not contain anything resembling a hockey arena, nor do they contain anything that could be refitted into a hockey arena.

That said, the Metro Centre does need to be replaced eventually (it is currently 28 years old, holding up decently). Those plans are on hold until the 2014 Halifax bid is completed and the Games are awarded. Finding government funding for both the Games and a new Metro Centre could be difficult, but there is also an extensive 2014 Legacy program scheduled as part of the bid which could help out.

Trollo*

To be quite honest, firstly Halifax doesn't have a stadium in place, or land downtown for one (although i heard rumors about Exhibition Park). Secondly, the commitment required is not there. Halifax has talked about a CFL team since the 70s which demands fewer resources and that still hasn’t happened. Also, I don’t think Halifax has the business population to buy all the season tickets an NHL franchise would want. Out East, we’re not exactly willing to shell out money as easy as other places in the country. Money goes a lot further in Nova Scotia, and I don’t think thousands of dollars for seasons tickets ranks in most peoples priorities.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
It would be nice, but...

1) There's not nearly enough corporate $$ here to make it happen (unless RIM wanted to finance it all...).
2) There isn't a suitable rink (although they want to build a new, larger one on the waterfront and blitz the Metro Centre to make for convention space. But I don't see that happening in the near future, esp. with the 2014 games bid).
3) I think they could fill it for a while, but if they weren't continually competing after the novelty wears off, it could be ugly.
4) There's not enough regional TV $$ to be made here.
5) Hfx is great at one-time events, not so great at ongoing stuff.
6) There are a bunch of US and maybe a couple Cdn. cities that make more sense froma $$ standpoint.
7) There aren't enough endorsement opportunities to be able to attract / keep star UFA's who like to make extra $$ on the side.

And if Hfx can't do it, you can absolutely forget Moncton (or any other city in Atlantic Canada). Hfx is the regional economic hub, Moncton's not even close.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Why do so many people not realize that the NHL is a business and not a parade down Main Street? Halifax will not get a team because it's "nice" or "passionate." It needs "people" and "money" first (relatively speaking).

The NHL is indeed a business. However it isn't like windex that everyone uses, it's a niche product that caters to a certain segment of the population.

If money and population were all that mattered there would be no way the NHL's smallest city (Edmonton) would be the 8th highest revenue generator. Passion is indeed one of the major factors whether the NHL is successful or not successful in markets.

Atlanta is a nice big city with lots of money. So are Phoenix, St. Louis etc. In theory, they should all probably be in the top 10 of NHL revenue generators. But they're not. There just isn't the passion for the NHL there right now . There's no doubt about the passion for hockey in Canada.

Could Halifax support an NHL team. I don't know, but I wouldn't rule it out. If there are, for example, 50,000 people willing to pay to watch NHL hockey in Halifax at necessary price levels, and an arena capable of generating sufficient revenue, then the demand will ensure it works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad